Things not looking good in Bronco land

toffee

Reaction score
And he'll thank Jesus for showing him the way to greatness after his god dumped him in the pits of hell these past two years.

Russ has stockholm's sydrome when it comes to his god.
somehow it may, heck, it will happen just as you have scripted.

toffee

Reaction score
The thing about that Bronco game was how embarrassing the D was. I was watching a bunch of the highlights and it was matador defense. I mean...wow bad. It's like they didn't care.
Sean and Vance have lost the locker already?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I have never liked Sean Payton. The Saints were once my "other" team way back in the Bobby Hebert/Mora era, mainly because of my Louisiana roots and I really loved their uniforms (still do). So, this mollywhopping will FOREVER warm my heart! Especially after his pompous, jackassed disrespectful shit he said about a ROOKIE head coach. No matter how you slice it, that was some bitch made shit to say and I hope Hackett somehow gets a chance to throw this ass-kicking AND 0-3 start in his face (with class) in the next 24 hours.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Back to the regularly scheduled, "We gotta learn", "Greatness ahead of us", "The LORD has great things in store ahead", "Best days ahead", "Championship mindset", and "Let's ride" programming.

Yeah, let's ride, donk country!
You have listened and learned well, Grasshopper.

Scout

Reaction score
The Broncos defense did lose a lot of talent within 12 months. And they are hamstrung by the fact that they spent a lot of cap space upgrading the OL this off season. Couple that with drafting Mims which looks like a home run and the defense is in a lesser state. But the defense should not be this bad off.

The Broncos front seven isn't chopped liver on paper but DC Vance likes his Charmin soft coverages which drives me crazy given the edge rushers that the Broncos have at their disposal. The reason why the Broncos traded Chubb last year was because they were able to generate pressures without Chubb due to Evero's schemes and play calling.

You saw that aggressive play calling with Evero's defense with the Panthers against the Hawks which kept the Panthers competitive till the end. The Broncos are very timid on defense and it shows and with their talent they are not this bad. When you have a CB like Surtain out there you should be able to scheme a way to shut down T. Hill and then the rest of the D could focus on clamping down the run.

On offense the Broncos were not bad but they were very pedestrian for the most part. The problem is they commit too many mistakes and turnovers for a unit that is very average. Sutton was supposed to be more reliable than Jeudy but he is now drifting into JAG territory along with Jeudy. Mims looks like an all star and should be a starter as he is the most consistent, and when your rookie is your most reliable and consistent that is BAD.

With that said the Broncos have enough talent at TE, WR and RB where Wilson should be able to move the chains and sustain drives. But like last year this Broncos team looks lost when they no longer have their first 50 plays scripted to start the game where they look hot. But soon fade when teams make adjustments in the 2nd half and Wilson and the Broncos offense can not execute simple plays beyond their script.

Wilson had 38 pass attempts and only had 306 passing yards to show for it. The formula for the beating the Broncos is very simple because the Broncos are not built to be a passing team. You neutralize J. Williams and Perrine by scoring early against the Broncos because R. Wilson can no longer rally a team with his arm.

Unlike last season where Wilson had a higher caliber defense to help keep the Broncos in games now the Broncos offense being very pedestrian is being exposed. Broncos defense isn't as good as it used to be and the Broncos offense with all those turnovers made it spiral out of control.

The Broncos are not playing complimentary football. You have an offense that can not sustain drives in the second half of games and commit turnovers. Meanwhile a defense that has been turned toothless due to Vance being super soft. And a HC like SP who is a hot head who might have lost the team already three games in.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I absolutely do not care if they get Caleb Williams. They're in the AFC. Who cares?

It's laughable how Donk fans keep posting that KC fans will crap their pants if the Donks draft Caleb. On what planet are they living on? KC has Mahomes and has won 2 SB and been to 3 overall. But Donks drafting a QB #1 overall scares them? GTFOH.

Donks fans are in la-la land with their delusions of grandeur. Their team is bad. Russ is bad. And they think drafting Caleb #1 overall scares KC. Hahaha fk'ing mental midgets. And I love every moment of it. Fk the donks and their fans.

They can go straight to hell in a hand basket.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't get why people think drafting first is an automatic ticket to a long-term franchise QB and a complete transformation of a team's fortunes. Remember the long-ago days of 2022 when people were talking about tanking for Bryce Young?

Let's take a look at QBs drafted first overall (first pick of the first round) starting in 1990.
1990 - Jeff George
1993 - Drew Bledsoe
1998 - Peyton Manning (and let's not forget that the consensus top two before the draft were Manning and Ryan Leaf, and there was a lot of discussion at the time about which of the two the Colts should draft)
1999 - Tim Couch
2001 - Michael Vick
2002 - David Carr
2003 - Carson Palmer
2004 - Eli Manning
2005 - Alex Smith
2007 - JaMarcus Russell
2009 - Matt Stafford
2010 - Sam Bradford
2011 - Cam Newton
2012 - Andrew Luck
2015 - Jameis Winston
2016 - JaGoff
2017 - Baker Mayfield
2019 - Kyler Murray
2020 - Joe Burrow
2021 - Trevor Lawrence
2023 - Bryce Young

Sure, there good and great and all-time great QBs in there, a bunch of guys who ended being successful to some degree in the NFL and/or having long NFL careers, but there's a better chance of a drafted-first-overall QB not being part of a turnaround in his pro team's fortunes than changing things the way a bunch of people here and elsewhere seem to believe drafting Caleb Williams will for whatever team drafts him.

And the other thing is that if the Broncos were to draft Williams, they'd either be cutting bait on the Wilson contract or (less likely, I think) keeping Wilson as the most expensive backup in NFL history. And the team already has a bunch of holes in its roster. I don't think they'd be able to build much of a team around Williams.

So if the cost for getting to watch the disliked-since-the-Seahawks'-AFC-West-days Broncos have an awful season and the Seahawks getting an extra pick in the mid-60s overall in the next draft, with the bonus of getting to watch Wilson talk to the media after the embarrassing losses, is just the Broncos being able to draft Caleb Williams, I say that cost is completely acceptable. I understand that Williams could turn out to be a league-changing QB like Peyton Manning was, but it seems clear to me that it's more likely he won't.

Last edited:

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't get why people think drafting first is an automatic ticket to a long-term franchise QB and a complete transformation of a team's fortunes. Remember the long-ago days of 2022 when people were talking about tanking for Bryce Young?

Let's take a look at QBs drafted first overall (first pick of the first round) starting in 1990.
1990 - Jeff George
1993 - Drew Bledsoe
1998 - Peyton Manning (and let's not forget that the consensus top two before the draft were Manning and Ryan Leaf, and there was a lot of discussion at the time about which of the two the Colts should draft)
1999 - Tim Couch
2001 - Michael Vick
2002 - David Carr
2003 - Carson Palmer
2004 - Eli Manning
2005 - Alex Smith
2007 - JaMarcus Russell
2009 - Matt Stafford
2010 - Sam Bradford
2011 - Cam Newton
2012 - Andrew Luck
2015 - Jameis Winston
2016 - JaGoff
2017 - Baker Mayfield
2019 - Kyler Murray
2020 - Joe Burrow
2021 - Trevor Lawrence
2023 - Bryce Young

Sure, there good and great and all-time great QBs in there, a bunch of guys who ended being successful to some degree in the NFL and/or having long NFL careers, but there's a better chance of a drafted-first-overall QB not being part of a turnaround in his pro team's fortunes than changing things the way a bunch of people here and elsewhere seem to believe drafting Caleb Williams will for whatever team drafts him.

And the other thing is that if the Broncos were to draft Williams, they'd either be cutting bait on the Wilson contract or (less likely, I think) keeping Wilson as the most expensive backup in NFL history. And the team already has a bunch of holes in its roster. I don't think they'd be able to build much of a team around Williams.

So if the cost for getting to watch the disliked-since-the-Seahawks'-AFC-West-days Broncos have an awful season and the Seahawks getting an extra pick in the mid-60s overall in the next draft, with the bonus of getting to watch Wilson talk to the media after the embarrassing losses, is just the Broncos being able to draft Caleb Williams, I say that cost is completely acceptable. I understand that Williams could turn out to be a league-changing QB like Peyton Manning was, but it seems clear to me that it's more likely he won't.
Yup. You summed up quite nicely why I'm not worried about the #1 overall pick, if it's a QB, going to the Broncos because like you said, history tells us that it is more likely than not that it turns out not so good. Hitting on the #1 overall pick on being a generational QB like Manning/(maybe Burrow) is a 1/10 shot.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Russ never deviates from his list of scripted cliches, and "That was a tough one" is probably the most negative of all the cliches he has in his cliche bank.

Back to the regularly scheduled, "We gotta learn", "Greatness ahead of us", "The LORD has great things in store ahead", "Best days ahead", "Championship mindset", and "Let's ride" programming.

Yeah, let's ride, donk country!

And of course ...

"The seperation is in the preparation"

Reports are saying that Mike McDaniel put in a whole 168 hours straight of film study this past week.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
F64GnjVXoAAVwwi

Weadoption

Reaction score

1990 - Jeff George
1993 - Drew Bledsoe
1999 - Tim Couch
2001 - Michael Vick
2002 - David Carr
2003 - Carson Palmer
2004 - Eli Manning
2005 - Alex Smith
2007 - JaMarcus Russell
2009 - Matt Stafford
2010 - Sam Bradford
2011 - Cam Newton
2012 - Andrew Luck
2015 - Jameis Winston
2016 - JaGoff
2017 - Baker Mayfield
2019 - Kyler Murray
2020 - Joe Burrow
2021 - Trevor Lawrence
2023 - Bryce Young

i think the generational league changing players are only recognizable in hindsight as those players situationally represent the holy trinity of super talent, scheme/fit/coaching and injury luck all lining up together. High first round picks are always going to be your best shot at the talent part, but the rest is necessary also. Tim Couch drafted today would still be a number 1 and overall as his golden arm was not a question, but he didn’t have much luck with injuries and the coaching angle was debatable.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
i think the generational league changing players are only recognizable in hindsight as those players situationally represent the holy trinity of super talent, scheme/fit/coaching and injury luck all lining up together. High first round picks are always going to be your best shot at the talent part, but the rest is necessary also. Tim Couch drafted today would still be a number 1 and overall as his golden arm was not a question, but he didn’t have much luck with injuries and the coaching angle was debatable.
I agree with you completely.
All I was saying is that some people around here who, like me, don't like the Broncos, seem to be worried about the Broncos getting Caleb Williams in next year's draft, and I am not worried about that at all.