Things not looking good in Bronco land

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I was kind of hoping they would kick a FG there at the end for the record, but that would have been serious disrespect. LOL

70-20...Wow! I bet SP is kicking himself for not waiting another year when a HC job like the Chargers with a QB like Justin Herbert likely opens up. But no...he's got to get out of a deep hole now. Schadenfreude!

The only thing is, even though we own the Donkey's 3rd round pick, I don't want them to be the worst team and get Caleb Williams. I'd be fine with about the 5th pick in the 3rd round.
I think Caleb would go full Elway on them and refuse to accept them picking him. Why would he ever go there? They have nothing to offer - the fire sale is coming soon for whatever decent players they have - which is damn few - and they won't generate enough draft capitol to do much. And their cap situation is horrific. And even if they got Caleb they would just ruin him like they have others. If the Donks get the first pick - I'll wager Caleb stays in college for another few million in NIL $.

Torc

Reaction score
A Broncos opponent scores 70, and people are blaming the QB. That's nuts.

70 points is more points than anyone has scored since the moon landing. Heck, there have been numerous expansion franchises since then and even they haven't had the level of defensive ineptitude shown yesterday.

20 points by the broncos isn't anything to shout from the rooftops but it isn't an historic failure either of the QB either.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Russ got one TD, and 2 FG in the first half, nothing in the second half against arguably 2nd and 3rd team players. He quit and Payton just exposed that. Yes it's not all in him but you are the leader out there.

Last edited:

strohmin

Reaction score

70 points is more points than anyone has scored since the moon landing. Heck, there have been numerous expansion franchises since then and even they haven't had the level of defensive ineptitude shown yesterday.

20 points by the broncos isn't anything to shout from the rooftops but it isn't an historic failure either of the QB either.
The loss may not be on him but an offense led by Russell should have looked like the one miami had with all the money they paid and how much he talked last year. Sometimes you have to give some confidence to your defense that you can score too. Also the offense scored 13 not 20.

keasley45

Reaction score
The loss may not be on him but an offense led by Russell should have looked like the one miami had with all the money they paid and how much he talked last year. Sometimes you have to give some confidence to your defense that you can score too. Also the offense scored 13 not 20.

I really do think that team has given up. Think about it. They were tagged as SB favorites last year when Russ arrived and almost from the beginning, between him and Hackett, there was some odd sh+! happening. Poor coaching, poor play, and a defense that was on pace to be one of the all time greats gets wasted. Then that defense's best player is traded because of the ineptitude of the FO in making the Russ trade, there's internal friction with players openly challenging Russ on the field and on the sideline, and the coach is unceremoniously fired before the season. They were a complete joke - and they knew it.

Then Payton comes in with as much 'white horse' hoopla as Russ and talks a big game, and again, theres talk they could at least challenge for a playoff spot. But the team is made up of most of the same players as last year and there's some significant trauma left over, i'd wager. i doubt the bad blood that might have been circulating through that lockeroom that led to the team mailing it in by christmas was ever really exorcized by two 'good' games against to close the year against opponents who weren't playing all of their starters.

So 2023 starts and the ingredients are the same. Russ, who seemed to have lost the lockerroom already in 2022, is celebrated and shining a spotlight on himself for coming into camp (not fat) yet, the play on the field is largely the same. And those players know that the defense can be as good as it was last year, but if the O doesnt go, it will be for nothing. Then the game against the COmmanders happens and for all the statements that Russ didnt play badly because his statline looked good, the offense was non existant for almost 3 full quarters. And in those 3 qtrs, the Broncos D was left on the field and posterized in the Commanders comeback push.

Then Miami... they had to be going into that game knowing that if they went down by much, it was over. Denver's TDs didnt come on long, ball control drives. They are feast or famine. I think that team saw famine coming and surrendered. Yet again, like the week before, The O comes off cleanly, yet only put up 13 points and racked up their yards hitting underneath routes over and over again that Miami was handing them. And even with that, they fumbled the ball away when they had momentum or otherwise shot themselves in the foot.

I get that their D might not be great, but the performance on the field yesterday and against the Commanders cant be accounted for simply via poor coaching or lacking talent. I think this team has given up. I think they all know they're not just a losing team, but now, a joke. And they dont see a light at the end of the tunnel with the makeup they have now.

Even with a win against the Bears and the Jets, their next 4 are the Bills, Packers, and Chiefs twice. thats 2 and 7. Season long over. The 4 after that? Vikings, Texans, Chargers and Browns. No gimme's there. Even if they split, theyre 4 - 9. They finish with the Raiders, Chargers again, Pats and Lions. Even if youre generous and give them another split, they are 6-11. There season was over by week 7.

Does Payton not pull Russ at that point to see what he has in Stidham before the 24 draft? He will for sure know what he has in Russ and he doesnt seem to be too warm on him even now.

As much as conventional wisdom says you dont sit player with a contract like Russ's, how do you keep him as a starter if the team has lost confidence in him?

Indeed, things arent looking good.

chrispy

Reaction score

I get you but....

50mil/yr QBs have to carry their teams. They have to help their Ds. They have to make up for the 3 starters on D that their cap takes. They can't go 3 and out consistently and start games in 14 point holes. Putting the D on their heels and leaving them on the field isn't worth 50mil/yr. I'm not saying it's RCWs fault Miami demolished them. He did play better and no one's arguing that. But the Broncos lost that game in the first Q because the D didn't believe the O could score or even stay on the field. That's not completely RCWs fault, however clapping and cheering and cliches don't help the D. Long, consistent, scoring drives do help and he's lacking. It's a complete mess in Denver and RCW is at the center of it regardless of his personal stats for a few games. Its not going to get better until they can move on from him.

...just my opinion.

Torc

Reaction score
The Jets had to suffer through Zach Wilson last year with a strong defense. And within a single series this year they realized they were stuck with him again for another season after losing Rodgers. They have yet to roll over and let teams score on them at will.

That's what the Broncos did. I don't give a crap about what the offense did or didn't do. The Dolphins RB had an 11.6 YPC over 18 carries. They allowed a 300 yard passer, a 200 yard rusher and a 150 yard receiver. If they don't get the defense to take even a little bit of pride in their work, they need to release every stinkin' player and start over. And maybe the whole coaching staff too. At least the scrubs they'd end up with would TRY. Russ may be spouting his usual platitudes but at least his performance today wasn't an embarrassment, and I believe that he cares and wants to improve.