Things I think I think about the Seahawks today

kearly

Reaction score
Stats be damned- I think Russell Wilson is essentially playing his best football right now, or reasonably close to it. What I also think is that our team's inability to run out of I-formation has contributed to us having more 3rd and longs than usual. That our empty backfields on any down have a "blitz me" sign hanging around Wilson's neck, which we happen to do a lot of on said 3rd and longs. That our receivers still have some issues getting open with consistency, even when our QB buys time. That even our starting line is average at best in protection- our backups obviously are a sight worse.

I think under the circumstances- Seattle has faced 4 good defenses in their first five games, I think Wilson has looked great. Not perfect, not without issues to work around, but basically up to the fullest of his current abilities, given how much his environment is hamstringing his ability to perform. The good news is, those obstacles hurting Wilson are all fixable. Bring in a new fullback. Emphasize protection just a little more with the roster decisions (give Bailey a shot, etc). Consider an upgrade at OC this offseason. I'm not worried at all, but I do see some nagging problems that were not evident last season, or at least less evident.

Sure, Wilson has made mistakes and hasn't looked his best very often. But for most of that Colts game, I thought he looked masterful. In particular, his decision making running the football the past two games has been extremely impressive to me. As a SCRAMBLING QB, Wilson has had almost 200 yards rushing the last two games put together. We won a game because of it, and we arguably should have won the other game in part because of it, against one of the AFC's best teams at 10 am.

I think our corners aren't playing as well as they are capable. Sherman is playing well by any standard other than his own, but just hasn't looked himself most of the time. Browner hasn't helped the team much this season, though I think some of the penalties on him were bogus, and the TD he gave up to Hilton was well covered. It's a little sad to me that our pass rush looks so much better this season and the corner group appears to be taking a step back despite that.

I wouldn't overlook SF just yet, but Seattle should win 13 games, even with these problems. I honestly don't see a game left on the schedule that Seattle shouldn't be favored in.

Marshawn Lynch has never been better. I really hope his numbers reflect his play by the end of the season. Not as a Seahawks fan, but as a Lynch fan. He's playing so damn well every week. He deserves extra recognition this season, but the numbers aren't there right now. Robert Turbin is making me eat my preseason words of critique as well.

I just get a 2006 Seahawks vibe from the team. Obviously, this team is WAY better than the 2006 version, but something just seems "off" with the seahawks this year. That as good as they are, they should still be a lot better.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not only that the team still has play-makers on the shelves that "tilt the field" with Percy Harvin, Christine Michael, and I would even say Jermaine Kearse for his lack overall targets but being crazy productive none the less with them.

Get those players on the field more producing, and you're looking at an explosive offense for any defense to handle.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Yep the "off" is because we KNOW we have some stuff, pretty much...backed up in our pipes (so to speak)...but when that plug is finally popped, WATCH. THEE EFF. OUT!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry to offend anyone eating, not sure why my mind went there.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the "off" is the OL not being as good as hoped for coming into the season. In part due to injuries of course but also just because they are not a good pass pro OL, period. I also think the secondary is a bit "off" like you mentioned, but I have far more faith that they can and will return to tip-top shape by the end of the season far more than I have any realistic hopes of our OL finally "getting it" in pass pro giving Russell Wilson the time he needs and deserves.

Ultimately, I've backed off of my preseason bravado, "Oh, we are SO going to the Super Bowl and winning it this year!"

Not with these OL line issues. Getting Okung, Unger and Giaco will definitely help, but I just can't see us winning it all with OL issues this glaring.

I can't count how many times I've watched national games this year where the QB has seemingly all day to throw. Some of these teams don't have half the talent we do top to bottom. It pisses me off quite frankly.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Good stuff. I agree something is different this season, it doesn't have the feel I expected.

And that's interesting with Sherman. I said the same thing in the pre season and everyone laughed it off.

I still think the loss of Mike Rob is huge. I think we miss McCoy more than expected. I think our O line needs serious upgrading.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I too think the MRob loss is a real loss. I can feel it in my bones. Something just doesn't add up there. You damn well know Lynch feels it too.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Aros":2gl7w9y9 said:
I think the "off" is the OL not being as good as hoped for coming into the season. In part due to injuries of course but also just because they are not a good pass pro OL, period. I also think the secondary is a bit "off" like you mentioned, but I have far more faith that they can and will return to tip-top shape by the end of the season far more than I have any realistic hopes of our OL finally "getting it" in pass pro giving Russell Wilson the time he needs and deserves.

Ultimately, I've backed off of my preseason bravado, "Oh, we are SO going to the Super Bowl and winning it this year!"

Not with these OL line issues. Getting Okung, Unger and Giaco will definitely help, but I just can't see us winning it all with OL issues this glaring.

I can't count how many times I've watched national games this year where the QB has seemingly all day to throw. Some of these teams don't have half the talent we do top to bottom. It pisses me off quite frankly.

Agreed. For all the roster magic, Pete and John need to improve the line. Watch how much time Brady, Manning and Brees have in the pocket.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Kearly, there is no doubt in my mind that we have not yet seen the full potential of this squad! Until we get our O line healthy, get all our offensive weapons at full strength, get Lynch a legitimate lead blocker etc. we are still seeing one of the best teams in Seahawks history. Ever since we signed Harvin I have been drooling to see just how good this team can be once that happens! People are all talking about how great Denver's offense is right now. I honestly think that this team could rival them once all the pieces are in place. Cant wait to see it!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I am not on the "blame the Robinson loss" as the reason for our struggles.

We were hot late last year. Now everyone feels entitled to that play this year. It was foolish to make superbowl plans in July. Foolish.

Let's win our division first. This team still has work to do to get to the level we all think they can get to.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think part of the problem with our corners could be Dan Quinn. Everybody seemed happy to upgrade from Bradley, thinking a more aggressive DC would suit this defense better and would be an improvement in every way. But he's a d-line guy, and obviously new to being a DC. Maybe he's not great at calling the right coverage.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but it seems like a plausible explanation to me. What else could explain the drop off?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I understand how you arrive at those conclusions, Kip, but I feel like I can't even make any right now.

First, I am stunned that this team is so good that it has won with an awful line performance.
Second, to my eyes we are in an extended training camp. By my estimation we have several more weeks of tinkering with defensive line combinations. There will be some wows and oh shits as that D-line that has no time together over the last two months gets more comfortable.
That extended training camp is affecting the offensive line too. Ugly as it has been, Bowie, Sweezy, and Carpenter are going to be Hawks for at least another year or more, and all the experience they can get is a plus. There will be dividends eventually. Now, I am not of the opinion that when players get healthy all will be well, O-lines need a little time to get things right, but there is a good chance we can hit a stride by the playoffs.
The defense being off stride should self correct. I think the natural response of good players is that when part of their team is not getting it done, the O-line, they might step outside of their assignments to make that one play that ends up being that one bad play. This is not a defense full of dumb guys, they will see that and fix it.

Unlike some, I don't see Percy as a gamechanger on offense, I am trying to figure out where his 10 offensive touches will come from. But his special teams contributions could be a huge edge as the playoffs approach.

On Bevell: He stopped using the I-formation last week for the most part, Coleman barely saw the field, so they are aware of what isn't working. I know there is some concern that we avoid the short middle of the field when passing, but I think there are some strategic reasons for that. I think Bevell has one job right now, keep Russell relatively unscathed and scoring enough. We are facing a stretch of teams that like to blitz at the moment, Greg Williams might not be the same vocal guy he used to be, but his D is still trying to kill quarterbacks with blitzes.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Our struggles are mostly injury related I would think. The players are not hundred percent and I see it only getting better. I still wouldn't expect blow out games like last year in the month of October at least when the players are getting to know each other in some instances. I am still surprised Russel Okung is missing games though, I wished we had players who are not that injury prone. I really don't know if it a technique or style of playing that we have that increases the risk of injury.

General Manager

Reaction score
The defense is playing great for the most part, the Offense is a different matter. We all know the O-line is having problems, Seattle's had TE issues, fullback has regressed and even WR at times this year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":2idfpy75 said:

Max Unger kind of covered some of the Pass Protection problems in his latest interview.
Says that with the run game, you kind of have an idea where (on the O-Line) the RB is going to run, but with RW's mobility, you have to have more athleticism to protect him, because you don't exactly know where, when, or if he may decide to keep and run with the ball.
Obviously, and for the most part, RW has the opposing Defense in his sight, but his protection can't always know where he's going, because he's behind them.
I think Unger is one of the key offensive pieces that helps to direct the Offense into the protection mode.
I think Russell Wilson has incredible presence of mind and an uncanny ability to adapt his play, to making lightening quick decisions.

General Manager

Reaction score
scutterhawk":ussv0wfy said:
Aros":ussv0wfy said:

Max Unger kind of covered some of the Pass Protection problems in his latest interview.
Says that with the run game, you kind of have an idea where (on the O-Line) the RB is going to run, but with RW's mobility, you have to have more athleticism to protect him, because you don't exactly know where, when, or if he may decide to keep and run with the ball.
Obviously, and for the most part, RW has the opposing Defense in his sight, but his protection can't always know where he's going, because he's behind them.
I think Unger is one of the key offensive pieces that helps to direct the Offense into the protection mode.
I think Russell Wilson has incredible presence of mind and an uncanny ability to adapt his play, to making lightening quick decisions.

We'll see Unger has been getting his butt kicked a lot this year so if that doesn't get better than he's part of the problem not the solution. Hopefully his problems are due to injury and not a decline in production time will tell.

bigcc

Reaction score
Sherman was the NFC Defensive player of the MONTH.... of ANY defensive position

he's been outstanding

and I disagree a BIT on russell..... he's been playing well but he's been overthrowing quite a few passes for some reason this season.

EDIT: As for being "off", we came damn close to (and should have in my opinion) beaten a very good colts team on the tail end of a road trip without Unger, Harvin, Breno, Miller (listing players who may be back soon so not including Okung), and as of right now we're still the 2nd seed in the NFC, with the first seed having to come here to lose a tiebreaker against us later this season.

If you'd been told we'd start off 4-1 would you have honestly been disappointed?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The good sense in dumping a glue guy like MRob is becoming harder and harder to see. They've damn near abandoned the fullback game because it's just not working with Coleman. To those that say they would've phased it out anyway, I don't buy it. That doesn't mesh with the identity of this team. I think Schneider and his cap guys might've over-thought this one. Maybe it was about his health thing initially, but I'd love to see him back if he's 100% or anything close to it.