Things I think I think about the Seahawks today

bigcc

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2qveq8kk said:
We should trade for Rob Simms.

simms/locklear doesn't sound too bad right now actually (never thought id say that)

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I thought from the beginning that if they were going to take such an obvious step back at fullback they should just drop the position altogether. But it really stretches the mind that they could cut MRob and then only carry 2 TEs at the start of the season, making it much harder to gameplan in some H-back/motion stuff to offset the lack of two RBs in the backfield.

Really, though, I think most of the problems come down to the offensive line. Our best guys have gotten hurt and I don't know that the FO or coaches have handled the tough situation perfectly.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xy7ubsl said:
I understand how you arrive at those conclusions, Kip, but I feel like I can't even make any right now.

First, I am stunned that this team is so good that it has won with an awful line performance.
Second, to my eyes we are in an extended training camp. By my estimation we have several more weeks of tinkering with defensive line combinations. There will be some wows and oh shits as that D-line that has no time together over the last two months gets more comfortable.
That extended training camp is affecting the offensive line too. Ugly as it has been, Bowie, Sweezy, and Carpenter are going to be Hawks for at least another year or more, and all the experience they can get is a plus. There will be dividends eventually. Now, I am not of the opinion that when players get healthy all will be well, O-lines need a little time to get things right, but there is a good chance we can hit a stride by the playoffs.
The defense being off stride should self correct. I think the natural response of good players is that when part of their team is not getting it done, the O-line, they might step outside of their assignments to make that one play that ends up being that one bad play. This is not a defense full of dumb guys, they will see that and fix it.

Unlike some, I don't see Percy as a gamechanger on offense, I am trying to figure out where his 10 offensive touches will come from. But his special teams contributions could be a huge edge as the playoffs approach.

On Bevell: He stopped using the I-formation last week for the most part, Coleman barely saw the field, so they are aware of what isn't working. I know there is some concern that we avoid the short middle of the field when passing, but I think there are some strategic reasons for that. I think Bevell has one job right now, keep Russell relatively unscathed and scoring enough. We are facing a stretch of teams that like to blitz at the moment, Greg Williams might not be the same vocal guy he used to be, but his D is still trying to kill quarterbacks with blitzes.

Agreed with everything you said just curious as to why you don't think Percy with be a game changer on offense? The guy is one of if not the most dynamic offensive player in the NFL, truly a threat to take it to the house whenever he touches the ball. Add on top of that Pete has had a hard-on for him since his senior year in HS and I will guarantee they get him his touches.

davidonmi

Reaction score
our CB have been disappointing, what seems off is we can't win up front right now so nothing we ever do is by the script. We need to get the ball to Baldwin more, only guy who is consistently catching it when it's thrown to him. And I agree Russell is playing a lot better than many give him credit for.
A big reason we're winning despite our best performance IMO is our special teams have been exceptional outside of the blocked FG TD. Am I wrong?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Kip, I would agree with much of what Todd (Aros) is saying -- it's the injuries (particularly the Offensive Line.) Offense in general takes a lot longer for things to really get clicking, far more so than on defense. Seahawk players have talked about that, Holmgren's talked about that, many people have noted that. As you'll recall, the Hawks offense really didn't get rolling until that New England game last year (Week 7.) Now, part of that (of course) was the fact that Pete Carroll was putting the cuffs on Russell Wilson up until that point ... but the other part is that guys just hadn't worked together long enough to get in to any kind of a rhythm. Heck, Zack Miller didn't really start to hit his stride until late in the season. The 2012 Hawks Offense was intact as far as injuries were concerned ... and it took time for them to really get humming, even with all the parts in place.

Now fast forward to this year, what have we seen? What's been "Off" is the fact that we haven't yet seen what we envisioned as the ultimate product on the field. First, Bruce Irvin gets suspended. Then, Michael Robinson gets sick, can't perform up to the standards the team needs, and is cut. Then, Percy Harvin goes down with the hip injury. We lose Okung ... then Breno goes down ... then Okung. Oh-Oh, there goes Zack Miller.

Offensive Line in particular really depends on consistency -- guys actually playing with one another in game situations over time. That steadiness that we saw last year from this Offensive Line flat out hasn't been there. We've had 3/5 of our OL Starters out (and really it's more like 4/5, as McQuistan's been playing out of position and it's painfully obvious he just can't really cut it at LT.) You lose Zack Miller's blocking (in addition to MRob's) ... and now you're in a world of hurt.

Russell Wilson's stats have suffered greatly as a result. PFF said this week that the Hawks OL is giving up pressure on 46.6% of Wilson's drop backs. Because of that, Wilson's overall accuracy has taken a hit. Under Pressure, His QB Rating is only 39.2 and he is completing only 35% of his passes in those situations. Seriously, what's he supposed to do when most times he's got defenders in his face 1 second after he says "Go" [i.e. Hike]. Conversely, when Wilson's NOT been pressured ... his QB Rating is over 100.

And eventually, the defense suffers too, as the more they're out there due to the offense's ineptitude ... the more tired they're going to get. We definitely saw that last week in the Colts game, as it just seemed that the LOB was a bit gassed especially in the 4th Quarter.

All that said, the fact that the Hawks are 4-1 speaks to the fact that this is a VERY good team. Despite the struggles and adversity they have had, they are still one of the best teams in football. I'm projecting by about Week 12 ... as those players start to come back and get more and more acclimated ... you'll see those offensive numbers start to really climb. Until then, we're in a bit of a hang in there situation. Despite all those obstacles, I honestly believe that the Seahawks will most likely roll in to their Week 11 matchup with the Vikings with a record of 9-1.

Long answer to say I honestly believe this team will be just fine and among the very best teams in the football when it's all said and done this year. Just be patient.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I've not watched the Colts game a second time, but personally I thought Coleman did well. And I think he's shown tangible improvement as the season's gone on.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3egenyas said:
Kip, I would agree with much of what Todd (Aros) is saying -- it's the injuries (particularly the Offensive Line.) Offense in general takes a lot longer for things to really get clicking, far more so than on defense. Seahawk players have talked about that, Holmgren's talked about that, many people have noted that. As you'll recall, the Hawks offense really didn't get rolling until that New England game last year (Week 7.) Now, part of that (of course) was the fact that Pete Carroll was putting the cuffs on Russell Wilson up until that point ... but the other part is that guys just hadn't worked together long enough to get in to any kind of a rhythm. Heck, Zack Miller didn't really start to hit his stride until late in the season. The 2012 Hawks Offense was intact as far as injuries were concerned ... and it took time for them to really get humming, even with all the parts in place.

Now fast forward to this year, what have we seen? What's been "Off" is the fact that we haven't yet seen what we envisioned as the ultimate product on the field. First, Bruce Irvin gets suspended. Then, Michael Robinson gets sick, can't perform up to the standards the team needs, and is cut. Then, Percy Harvin goes down with the hip injury. We lose Okung ... then Breno goes down ... then Okung. Oh-Oh, there goes Zack Miller.

Offensive Line in particular really depends on consistency -- guys actually playing with one another in game situations over time. That steadiness that we saw last year from this Offensive Line flat out hasn't been there. We've had 3/5 of our OL Starters out (and really it's more like 4/5, as McQuistan's been playing out of position and it's painfully obvious he just can't really cut it at LT.) You lose Zack Miller's blocking (in addition to MRob's) ... and now you're in a world of hurt.

Russell Wilson's stats have suffered greatly as a result. PFF said this week that the Hawks OL is giving up pressure on 46.6% of Wilson's drop backs. Because of that, Wilson's overall accuracy has taken a hit. Under Pressure, His QB Rating is only 39.2 and he is completing only 35% of his passes in those situations. Seriously, what's he supposed to do when most times he's got defenders in his face 1 second after he says "Go" [i.e. Hike]. Conversely, when Wilson's NOT been pressured ... his QB Rating is over 100.

And eventually, the defense suffers too, as the more they're out there due to the offense's ineptitude ... the more tired they're going to get. We definitely saw that last week in the Colts game, as it just seemed that the LOB was a bit gassed especially in the 4th Quarter.

All that said, the fact that the Hawks are 4-1 speaks to the fact that this is a VERY good team. Despite the struggles and adversity they have had, they are still one of the best teams in football. I'm projecting by about Week 12 ... as those players start to come back and get more and more acclimated ... you'll see those offensive numbers start to really climb. Until then, we're in a bit of a hang in there situation. Despite all those obstacles, I honestly believe that the Seahawks will most likely roll in to their Week 11 matchup with the Vikings with a record of 9-1.

Long answer to say I honestly believe this team will be just fine and among the very best teams in the football when it's all said and done this year. Just be patient.

Nice post. And not just because my name was involved. ;)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":5a5depji said:
I've not watched the Colts game a second time, but personally I thought Coleman did well. And I think he's shown tangible improvement as the season's gone on.

He played 8 of 69 snaps. Or half the playing time of Kellen Davis.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3n2110c7 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3n2110c7 said:

He played 8 of 69 snaps. Or half the playing time of Kellen Davis.

As I said, not watched the game a second time and I certainly haven't tallied or researched snap counts. When he was on the field on Sunday, I thought he did well.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkGANG":wlhox94i said:
Scottemojo":wlhox94i said:
I understand how you arrive at those conclusions, Kip, but I feel like I can't even make any right now.

First, I am stunned that this team is so good that it has won with an awful line performance.
Second, to my eyes we are in an extended training camp. By my estimation we have several more weeks of tinkering with defensive line combinations. There will be some wows and oh shits as that D-line that has no time together over the last two months gets more comfortable.
That extended training camp is affecting the offensive line too. Ugly as it has been, Bowie, Sweezy, and Carpenter are going to be Hawks for at least another year or more, and all the experience they can get is a plus. There will be dividends eventually. Now, I am not of the opinion that when players get healthy all will be well, O-lines need a little time to get things right, but there is a good chance we can hit a stride by the playoffs.
The defense being off stride should self correct. I think the natural response of good players is that when part of their team is not getting it done, the O-line, they might step outside of their assignments to make that one play that ends up being that one bad play. This is not a defense full of dumb guys, they will see that and fix it.

Unlike some, I don't see Percy as a gamechanger on offense, I am trying to figure out where his 10 offensive touches will come from. But his special teams contributions could be a huge edge as the playoffs approach.

On Bevell: He stopped using the I-formation last week for the most part, Coleman barely saw the field, so they are aware of what isn't working. I know there is some concern that we avoid the short middle of the field when passing, but I think there are some strategic reasons for that. I think Bevell has one job right now, keep Russell relatively unscathed and scoring enough. We are facing a stretch of teams that like to blitz at the moment, Greg Williams might not be the same vocal guy he used to be, but his D is still trying to kill quarterbacks with blitzes.

Agreed with everything you said just curious as to why you don't think Percy with be a game changer on offense? The guy is one of if not the most dynamic offensive player in the NFL, truly a threat to take it to the house whenever he touches the ball. Add on top of that Pete has had a hard-on for him since his senior year in HS and I will guarantee they get him his touches.
I think Percy is a dynamic athlete. Clearly, he is a homerun threat all the time. However, ours is an offense that wants to reduce the total number of plays, 54-60 is the total number of snaps if things go correctly. 20 snaps at least go to Lynch, and by the time Turbin and Wilson have some carries there are less than 30 snaps left. How many of those plays are 3 or 4 WR sets? Between Miller, Tate, Rice, Baldwin and Kearse, that is a lot of guys to share less than 30 snaps.

So the first problem is how often will Percy even be on the field? The second problem is we already have two pretty good, though not on Harvin's level, in space make you miss athletes in Baldwin and Tate, and we have not put them in space very well or often just with the way the offense is designed. So far, I have little basis to believe we do a good job of taking advantage of our current player's talents on a regular basis, why would I assume we would take advantage of Harvin's talents that much more? Seriously, I watch Tate's highlight reel from last year and it is stunning what he does in space. Yet the fact remains that he isn't getting very regular use. (Can you imagine Tate in Denver? New Orleans? He would get 10 touches per game. Here he struggles to get 4) Thus my concerns about Harvin.

Largent80

Reaction score
Everyone knows the line isn't pass blocking well and that includes Bevell.

Hey, did anyone see the way the Bears used Marshall on Thursday?......Quick slants with 3 step drops. Throwing it way up and letting him make a play, or throwing to a specific area on the field?

Do THAT, and give Marshawn the ball in the 4th quarter !!!!!!!!!!!!

Teqneek

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2iwm1d65 said:
The off vibe may be the loss of M-Rob. I could be wrong though.

GUess its just me, but MRob didnt play enough for me to really care to much he was gone. I loved the RRR... but otherwise he wasnt the machine behind Lynch's running, no matter how much everyone would like to magically pull that defense out of their hat for Robinson

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I agree with replacing the FB position with someone who can be a true lead blocker not just trying to dive at legs and whiffing. I don't know which of you have seen Hard Knocks but i like John Connor FB Cin he's a hard hitter and good special teams blocker as well so that would be a welcomed addition in my eyes. I'am very encouraged by Russell Wilson's resolve under pressure this past weeks and the Bowie getting the reps in game time situations is only gonna help. I'am a little concerned over James Carpenter's progression these last few weeks i was hoping for more out of him. Other than that all of my concerns on all on the O-line but that will improve as the starters get healthy.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Russell hasn't been perfect, he has been a little off, usually high, but he's been playing close to the peak of his game, perhaps 90 or 95%. He's not the problem with our offense, quite the contrary. We'd be in dire straights if not for him, probably a .500ish team like we were with TJack instead of the SB contender we are.

We need more production out of our passing offense if we're to get to the Promised Land. There are going to be times, such as in the past two weeks, when we're behind by a touchdown or more going into the 4th quarter, and having an offense that's ranked in the bottom third of the league isn't a recipe for success. In the past two road games, we've thrown for lesss than 300 yards passing and only one passing TD. That isn't going to cut it if we have to go on the road and win a playoff game in someplace like New Orleans. I'm hoping that getting some of our guys along the OL healthy will help and obviously the addition of Percy Harvin will at the very least take away from some of the attention Sidney Rice and Golden Tate have been getting

More consistent pass rush. We've seen some flashes of brilliance, but we need to bring it more often, especially in the road when we do not have the 12th man on our side.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2w2vjevn said:
HawkGANG":2w2vjevn said:
Scottemojo":2w2vjevn said:

I think Percy is a dynamic athlete. Clearly, he is a homerun threat all the time. However, ours is an offense that wants to reduce the total number of plays, 54-60 is the total number of snaps if things go correctly. 20 snaps at least go to Lynch, and by the time Turbin and Wilson have some carries there are less than 30 snaps left. How many of those plays are 3 or 4 WR sets? Between Miller, Tate, Rice, Baldwin and Kearse, that is a lot of guys to share less than 30 snaps.

So the first problem is how often will Percy even be on the field? The second problem is we already have two pretty good, though not on Harvin's level, in space make you miss athletes in Baldwin and Tate, and we have not put them in space very well or often just with the way the offense is designed. So far, I have little basis to believe we do a good job of taking advantage of our current player's talents on a regular basis, why would I assume we would take advantage of Harvin's talents that much more? Seriously, I watch Tate's highlight reel from last year and it is stunning what he does in space. Yet the fact remains that he isn't getting very regular use. (Can you imagine Tate in Denver? New Orleans? He would get 10 touches per game. Here he struggles to get 4) Thus my concerns about Harvin.

I see what your saying. But you can't really even compare Harvin to any WR on our team, he is that much better and that much more dynamic. Harvin can play from anywhere on the football field including the backfield. It goes without saying that if Percy gets more touches that will take away from everyone else's, and I think this coaching staff is prepared to do that, look no further than his massive contract. I just feel like this guy is such a prolific offensive freak that he changes your offensive philosophy. So in essence I think we will all but force the ball into Harvins hands at times and allow him to do what he does.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Aros":29kwrbsv said:
I think the "off" is the OL not being as good as hoped for coming into the season. In part due to injuries of course but also just because they are not a good pass pro OL, period. I also think the secondary is a bit "off" like you mentioned, but I have far more faith that they can and will return to tip-top shape by the end of the season far more than I have any realistic hopes of our OL finally "getting it" in pass pro giving Russell Wilson the time he needs and deserves.

Ultimately, I've backed off of my preseason bravado, "Oh, we are SO going to the Super Bowl and winning it this year!"

Not with these OL line issues. Getting Okung, Unger and Giaco will definitely help, but I just can't see us winning it all with OL issues this glaring.

I can't count how many times I've watched national games this year where the QB has seemingly all day to throw. Some of these teams don't have half the talent we do top to bottom. It pisses me off quite frankly.
Aros, we're getting HFA throughout the playoffs. We are SO going to the Super Bowl this year.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":39r1h2j6 said:
Penalties and third down defense. Fix it.
Despite all of our problems on offense, third down defense is the pits! When we rush, frequently we don't get there in time. Also, QB's are having an easy time with quick releases over the middle. Guess that's what bothers me the most, and what I like best about our offense and Baldwin.

So who's responsible to defend the middle on third downs? Is it Thurmond? Any way we can help him?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30sp5fhh said:
HawkGANG":30sp5fhh said:
Scottemojo":30sp5fhh said:

If the offense is better and Percy helps us sustain drives then we will run more plays on offense. That's were his touches will come from.