The Ultimate Seahawks RB Poll!

Which Seattle Running Back, In Their Prime, Would You Want TODAY?

• Curt Warner

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Ricky Waters

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • John L. Williams

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Shaun Alexander

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Mack Strong

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 58 63.7%
  • Kenneth Walker III

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other (Please Indicate In The Tread, Thanks!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ruminator

Reaction score
I am going to stop you right there. Fullbacks and Halfbacks are running backs. Running back is the family name. Fullback and Halfback are subsets. That is not even getting into the fact that WRs are lined up in the backfield too and are technically wing-backs.
Quarterback, halfback, fullback. So what does the three-quarters back do? Maybe that's what Marshawn Lynch actually was.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
My guess is that more than ninety percent of the people on this board never got to see Curt Warner play before the knee injury. He was fantastic to the point of being special. I voted for him because he was the best back we have ever had in his rookie season. He was still good after blowing out his knee, but he was never the same. Truth is that his size for the game today is problematic. Backs at only 200 pounds do not last very long nowadays. Even out of the back field he had good hands. At only 200 pounds nowadays, I doubt he would be great at picking up the larger sized blitzers in the league, but he was not a liability at the time.
This^^
Curt Warner’s ability to cut and slash were unmatched and would’ve been a hall of famer if the ACL didn’t cut his career short. ACL in the 80’s was a career ender.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Shaun Alexander. I know the narrative around here is that he was soft and benefited from a good line.
However, he had amazing vision and had a knack for finding the cut back better than any back I've ever seen. Deceptive quickness, elite top end speed and displayed power when necessary. Complete back in his prime
Yep, that's who I picked also, I mean FIVE rushing TD's in the first half against the Vikings?!
He was almost a 'Mr. Automatic' when he got into the Red Zone.
The thing that doesn't get mentioned on his having HOF's LT & LG on that O-Line, but he also had a LOT of success running to the RIGHT side.
Everyone talks about a good RB having to have extraordinary "Vision", well Shaun Alexander had it in SPADES.
My second fave is Marshawn ''Beastmode" Lynch....Hard to believe that someone could take that much punishment AND dish it right back out, game after game.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The only other RB besides Lynch (one of the toughest ever) that I had consistent respect for his effort and team play was Ricky Waters.

Lynch to me is the consistent best RB that has ever played for the Hawks, and there have been lots.

Love me some Marshawn!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
My guess is that more than ninety percent of the people on this board never got to see Curt Warner play before the knee injury. He was fantastic to the point of being special. I voted for him because he was the best back we have ever had in his rookie season. He was still good after blowing out his knee, but he was never the same. Truth is that his size for the game today is problematic. Backs at only 200 pounds do not last very long nowadays. Even out of the back field he had good hands. At only 200 pounds nowadays, I doubt he would be great at picking up the larger sized blitzers in the league, but he was not a liability at the time.
The only reason I didn't put a checkmark next to CW was because sadly, we really didn't get to see a whole lot from the guy before he got injured.
I had expectations drained out when he got hurt, was hoping it would only be a game or two & that he'd be back in there tearing up Defenses once again...Wasn't meant to be.
Kenny Easley's injury was another one that got to me...Brutal Sport.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I am going to stop you right there. Fullbacks and Halfbacks are running backs. Running back is the family name. Fullback and Halfback are subsets. That is not even getting into the fact that WRs are lined up in the backfield too and are technically wing-backs.
Do you really want a FB as your feature back?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
As a fan in the mid 80's and living on the East Coast it was more than difficult to see Warner play. I had to be more of a casual fan. We never saw Hawks games unless they were on prime time.

I went with Lynch. The pure fight he carried seemed to make everyone around him better and hungrier.

Like to give a shout out to Chris Warren. I liked him.

Reactions: FPD

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I saw Curt Warner play, but sadly he didn't play that long b/c of injuries . Back then knee injuries were not as easily fixed as they are now. Warner was fast, shifty, and a hard runner. My only knock on him was the very brief time he played. He was nevertheless a very talented RB.

Sherman Smith was one of those backs that just made it look easy with his smooth running. Alexander was a special player as well, but to me he was not a thumper, and his usual avoidance of contact always upset me/. That said, he was a league MVP.

Just give me that guy who is tough as nails and delivers blows to the D and inspires his team with his running. Marshawn is my man!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Once again Feature Back is the family name, then the subset would be FB, HB, TB, Scat Back, Big Back, you name a back.
That didn’t answer my question. Feature back is not the family name. Running back is the name like you stated earlier. Having a FB as your featured back, you know, getting the bulk of the carries, ain’t gonna get the job done.
For example, a center is an offensive lineman but you don’t necessarily want him playing LT. Safties and CBsare defensive backs by family name but they sure aren’t interchangeable!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Shaun Alexander. I know the narrative around here is that he was soft and benefited from a good line.
However, he had amazing vision and had a knack for finding the cut back better than any back I've ever seen. Deceptive quickness, elite top end speed and displayed power when necessary. Complete back in his prime
Soft? No, when he wanted to (mostly when the goal line was involved) he was as tough as any running back in the league. The problem is he played for himself, and for him the tough yards often weren't important unless a TD was a possibility.

For me, Marshawn loved the game, loved his team, and gave everything he had on every play. Bring back some plays that make FB relevant again, pair Marshawn in his prime with Strong in his prime (John L was better, but I think Strong would complement Marshawn more), and re-establish what hard-nosed football is about.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
In his prime he had TWO HOF linemen blocking.......
Do the linemen come in this deal if you vote for him?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love me some Lynch, IMO he was the perfect back at the perfect time to help Pete put his tough, physical punch you in the face until you give up culture and stamp on the Hawk's SB runs.

But for pure talent? I have to go with Warner. He's the greatest Hawk RB from a pure RB talent standpoint. Speed, vision, quickness, toughness........and he could hit the home run. He had the entire package.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Part of the question people are ignoring is what our offense is right now, not just best back.

So I go with Alexander. He's got the skills that best fit what we do now and in his PRIME, he absolutely did get those tough yards that people assume he never got.

He has all the vision and shiftiness of Walker but the mentality of a vet who knows when to just hit a hole.

BASF

Reaction score
I voted John L. He could do it all. He would thrive in this offense.
Checking his size, he is about the right size to be a halfback nowadays. At 231 pounds, he was barely bigger than SA. I honestly don't remember how fast he was, but I don't remember ever thinking he was slow. He absolutely would thrive in this offense.

Torc

Reaction score
That didn’t answer my question. Feature back is not the family name. Running back is the name like you stated earlier. Having a FB as your featured back, you know, getting the bulk of the carries, ain’t gonna get the job done.
For example, a center is an offensive lineman but you don’t necessarily want him playing LT. Safties and CBsare defensive backs by family name but they sure aren’t interchangeable!
I'd take John L. Williams as a feature back any day. He basically functioned as one for a while and did just fine.

Latest posts