The elephant in the room (Graham)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We had a Red Zone problem, as in we STUNK in the Red Zone, and we have for years.

So no, I'm not going to conjure up my magic powers of hindsight and say Graham was a bad trade. It's only game 4 and I like what I see out of him. We just have to stabilize the line and get him involved more.

Take Graham away and put Unger under center, is that really solving our offensive problems having a guy past his prime who missed 10 games last year and STILL no blocking TE's with a weak ass WR corp?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
marko358":2r3ckbwr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/tthasselbeck/status/651408493245804544[/tweet]

This is Exhibit A for why Graham should never play with his hand down. He would be an above average blocker on the outside.

Move him to Split End, forcing defenses to account for him outside, and this offense will improve greatly.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ringless":1tyrtg1v said:
Jimmy Graham hasn't really had that big of a drop off considering where he is playing compared to last year.
Averages per game

Catches
2014 5.31
2015 4.5

Yards:
2014: 55.60
2014 43.50

TD's
2014: 0.625
2015: 0.500

I think a bigger deal is being made out of this then it really is considering this is more of a run focused offense.

I agree.

Detroit last year he had 0 catches 0 yards
Tampa 2 catches 36 yards
Cinci 3 catches 29 yards
Panthers 3 catches 25 yards
Bucs again 6 catches 54 yards

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":754c3v5t said:
He wasn't a great fit from the jump. They paid a hefty price to have a target within the 5 and are trying to justify the cost by incorporating him in other areas. Having him split wide 100% of the time isn't going to make this offense better.

Ultimately, he will he help, but not as much as a pair of decent linemen we could've spent that $10M/year on, not to mention the 1st round pick.

This is on Schneider and Pete. And also Cable for misrepresenting what we had at Center without Unger.

To use him within the 5 we would actually have to..idk...get there ...Seems like we have few actual redzone attempts

Projected stats for season if you go on what he has done so far

72 catches 696 yards 8TD

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/651519710488465408[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
Graham is the same guy he was in New Orleans, it's his usage that needs improvement. Just having him run more routes isn't sufficient, he needs to lead the team in targets almost every game.

The elephant in the room is Nowak and Britt sabotaging our offense. It might be a little unfair to single those two out since the other 3 guys are struggling too, but I think the line problems right now are mostly stemming from the middle.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":3sda9u3a said:

They are moving more toward using him in the slot, which is progress. I would like to see him at Split End for that 40% of the time he has playing in-line.

One thing that doesn't add up is the mere seven run blocks on 49 snaps. Were we taking him off the field during a majority of the running plays? If so, I imagine that would make us very predictable.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
timmat":mchr5j1z said:
seahawk12thman":mchr5j1z said:
This is Pitiful:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jailposejesus/status/651209422249717760[/tweet]

That clip is pretty damning with regards to heart and effort.

We have dozens of those same clips from New Orleans. I warned y'all.

netskier

Reaction score
If Nowak and Britt are sabotaging our offense, then send them back to training school, and replace them with last year's centers, and Bailey at Left Guard (to protect Russell's blind side).

kearly

Reaction score
Graham's effort at run blocking is so bad at times that I honestly wonder if it is a form of protest on his part.

Jville

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":ls5hxgxv said:
timmat":ls5hxgxv said:
seahawk12thman":ls5hxgxv said:
This is Pitiful:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jailposejesus/status/651209422249717760[/tweet]

That clip is pretty damning with regards to heart and effort.

We have dozens of those same clips from New Orleans. I warned y'all.

I watched the Saints last game. Nice drama :th2thumbs: And .... I thought Max Unger looked really good. He even bounced back up from having someone roll up on his leg. Entertaining Game.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2o3jhvjj said:
Jville":2o3jhvjj said:

They are moving more toward using him in the slot, which is progress. I would like to see him at Split End for that 40% of the time he has playing in-line.

One thing that doesn't add up is the mere seven run blocks on 49 snaps. Were we taking him off the field during a majority of the running plays? If so, I imagine that would make us very predictable.

Yes, and no. This is where the game of outfoxing the other foxes begins. If Jimmy isn't in on running plays then coverage changes and opens up other opportunities like boot leg PA pass which seem to be the only way we get first downs.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
mrt144":1s6assxr said:
hawknation2015":1s6assxr said:
Jville":1s6assxr said:

Yes, and no. This is where the game of outfoxing the other foxes begins. If Jimmy isn't in on running plays then coverage changes and opens up other opportunities like boot leg PA pass which seem to be the only way we get first downs.

Why would taking Jimmy off the field on almost every running play, sans seven, open up play action passing?

I think moving Graham to Split End would open up play action passing in a big way, as well as improve our run blocking.

OP
OP
HawkEye

HawkEye

Reaction score
I agree. Split End position would be a great improvement. Graham can't (or won't?) make anything in line.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not even pass-happy New Orleans made him a complete WR conversion. The ratio is about what they had him at.

I think you would be losing something vertically by giving him all the reps at split-end, and to be honest, Baldwin and Lockett are probably better slot receivers. Of course, you mix him in everywhere, but having him play 100% at Split-End/Slot is not realistic, because you are taking away reps from players who are better suited for those roles beyond the redzone.

If he can't handle 10 blocking snaps, then that is a player problem, not a scheme problem.

hawk45

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2oeth2tu said:
Not even pass-happy New Orleans made him a complete WR conversion. The ratio is about what they had him at.

I think you would be losing something vertically by giving him all the reps at split-end, and to be honest, Baldwin and Lockett are probably better slot receivers. Of course, you mix him in everywhere, but having him play 100% at Split-End/Slot is not realistic, because you are taking away reps from players who are better suited for those roles beyond the redzone.

If he can't handle 10 blocking snaps, then that is a player problem, not a scheme problem.

I agree it's a player problem but we've seen what he does with his snaps inline. He's what we have. Even if we lost a little vertically, not necessarily a given as the defenses rotate over to cover him, wouldn't we gain in the middle of the field where he catches everything and is a mismatch on anyone?

Not saying 100% at SE but a lot more than we're seeing.

Latest posts