THE "BIG NICKEL" D

sc85sis

Reaction score
They didn't try it with Browner in the preseason because they needed to see if Brandon could adequately handle what a safety does normally. He couldn't, and that's why he's gone.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Looking at our roster, I wonder if we contemplate playing a "big dime" package. Shoot, they might even bring back the "bandit".

Tical21

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":17bhla3z said:
RobDaHawk":17bhla3z said:
Well maybe with all these safeties we will now. It's pretty much the role of what we all assumed Browner came back for. It's odd that he never played that role in preseason however.
Correct. And they never played it because it's preseason and why tip your hand in some glorified practice games? Yes preseason is pretty much a waste of time in nearly all cases, realize and accept it. It's obvious the 4/2/5 or some variation of it is coming from the fact that Clark is playing lighter to the fact we have 4 linebackers and 7 safeties.
What does Frank Clark have to do with any of this?

Lol at being afraid of tipping your hand in regards to this. This is something you practice in games. You don't roll it out in regular season and pray that it works.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Thank you Tical.

You said in 2 sentences what I needed 4 paragraphs to say.

Not saying it isn't possible, this team does weird counterintuitive things all the time. But it makes no sense to say they don't want to do it in preseason because someone will see it. They are going to see it in the first game you play unless you only roll it out for teams like the Carolinas. Then you better hope your guys know how to play it - because might not have it down.

Tical21

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2q2i8s0z said:
Thank you Tical.

Not saying it isn't possible, this team does weird counterintuitive things all the time. But it makes no sense to say they don't want to do it in preseason because someone will see it. They are going to see it in the first game you play unless you only roll it out for teams like the Carolinas. Then you better hope your guys know how to play it - because might not have it down.
Yep, I am in no way saying we aren't going to see the big nickel, and soon. I'd bet against it, but something sure seems to be up. I'm just saying that if we see it against MIami, it doesn't mean it was something they were hiding so nobody knew their secrets.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":fq7fef1r said:
Thank you Tical.

They don't need to use it during preseason games, they will be practicing different looks and plays all season. The preseason alignments are "vanilla" because we are trying to evaluate players, not confuse them. Having said that, I am sure there is a lot of stuff they don't really want to show also.

morgulon1

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":sdn2mqhn said:
Well maybe with all these safeties we will now. It's pretty much the role of what we all assumed Browner came back for. It's odd that he never played that role in preseason however.

Was just getting ready to say this. From listening to the experts talk about why they didn't keep him it didn't make sense to me. Reading the article , I was wondering who Seattle has in mind for this role or if Seattle is going to do this at all.

Jville

Reaction score
It would appear that what ever happens with regards to tight ends ..... it will pivot around DeShawn Shead.[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/773236354553569281[/tweet]
Carroll in yest presser says Shead can be the TE-matchup guy while they use Sherm, Lane and Simon at CB

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Nooooooo Simon is our Achilles. He is the new Carey Williams until I see otherwise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":3k8a3jde said:
Nooooooo Simon is our Achilles. He is the new Carey Williams until I see otherwise.

Pete and John probably agree, which is why Elliott made the team. Need to start developing corners again, Simon is brittle and undependable.