Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Taylor Swift's music is garbage. That's all I know.
I'm sure you're folks thought your music was garbage as well. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't listen to Taylor Swift, but as a girl Dad of three, I've certainly had it as background music in my home and car for about 10 years now.

This is what I know. She's incredibly hard working and creative and has been since she was about 12. She writes all her songs and her lyrics resonate with people of all ages (but young girls particularly). Her songs tell stories that are easy to understand. They just happen to be wrapped in a style of music that rubs some the wrong way.

I've actually been to one of her concerts (not by choice), and I will say this. She performs likes she's scared. Scared that she will disappoint someone. Scared that someone will see her as a fraud. She brings everything, every night. She's not inherently cool, hip, or sexy, so she makes up for it with grit and hard work.

Do I tire of seeing her every 2 mins when I'm trying to watch football? Sure, it's a bit much for my liking. Does it bother me that she goes to games as a fan of someone she clearly likes? Nah, IDGAF, I hope she enjoys ball as much as I do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
And I have a follow up question: Taylor Swift wears enough red lipstick to graffiti a 100-car freight train. Am I the only man that doesn't find her attractive? Kissing her would be like kissing a clown.

She's basic white girl cute. But I'd venture to guess most of the old dudes on here, including myself like more mature women. Swift to me is a kid, even though I think she's in her 30's now?

Idk, but she sings and acts like a teenager still. Which is cool, it obviously works for her. But yeah, not really my type.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
If they showed Jessica Simpson again, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Showing this woman, the actor from the State Farm commercials, Kelsey's 60 year old mom 20 times a game is just full on cringe. They're alienating medium and hardcore fans for people who don't like fball or might be very casual, fleeting fans. I watched at most 10 minutes last weekend. I binge watched a show and worked. I didn't miss it at all.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm sure you're folks thought your music was garbage as well. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't listen to Taylor Swift, but as a girl Dad of three, I've certainly had it as background music in my home and car for about 10 years now.

This is what I know. She's incredibly hard working and creative and has been since she was about 12. She writes all her songs and her lyrics resonate with people of all ages (but young girls particularly). Her songs tell stories that are easy to understand. They just happen to be wrapped in a style of music that rubs some the wrong way.

I've actually been to one of her concerts (not by choice), and I will say this. She performs likes she's scared. Scared that she will disappoint someone. Scared that someone will see her as a fraud. She brings everything, every night. She's not inherently cool, hip, or sexy, so she makes up for it with grit and hard work.

Do I tire of seeing her every 2 mins when I'm trying to watch football? Sure, it's a bit much for my liking. Does it bother me that she goes to games as a fan of someone she clearly likes? Nah, IDGAF, I hope she enjoys ball as much as I do.
I have no opinion of Taylor Swift's music as I haven't listened to any of it, and outside of her physical appearance, which has been limited to one controllable attribute, I've said nothing negative about her.

Everyone has a shelf life. Once they get over exposed, they no longer appeal to you. I think that's one of the problems with sports announcers, why so many people don't like Al Michaels, Chris Collingsworth, or other announcers they see and hear too often. I think that's one of my problems with Taylor Swift, that I have to watch her jump around several times during every Chiefs game wearing that gawd awful lipstick on her smoochers. It has nothing to do with her personally.

knownone

Reaction score
I wouldn't know who Taylor Swift is if it weren't for the NFL. She'd be a name in a vast sea of music I have no desire to listen to.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
She's basic white girl cute. But I'd venture to guess most of the old dudes on here, including myself like more mature women. Swift to me is a kid, even though I think she's in her 30's now?

Idk, but she sings and acts like a teenager still. Which is cool, it obviously works for her. But yeah, not really my type.
I'm probably more attracted to a mature woman than my younger counterparts. But that doesn't mean that I prefer their appearance over that of a teenager or 20 something gal.

One of the things that does disturb me is that the NFL is trying to expand their appeal by feminizing the sport, which is obviously the motivator behind the Taylor Swift stuff. I've often thought that they need to define a television broadcasting crew with the following titles: 1. Play-by-play commentator. 2. Color commentator. 3. Sideline babe.

knownone

Reaction score
Did you really not know who Taylor Swift was before she started dating Kelce?

Sometimes I honestly envy some of your guys out of touch-ness. It's impressive.
I knew she was a famous musician. I wouldn't have been able to pick her out of a crowd, though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
One of the things that does disturb me is that the NFL is trying to expand their appeal by feminizing the sport, which is obviously the motivator behind the Taylor Swift stuff. I've often thought that they need to define a television broadcasting crew with the following titles: 1. Play-by-play commentator. 2. Color commentator. 3. Sideline babe.

Hard to blame a multi-billion dollar corporation trying to expand their brand, exposure and viewing demographic.

Me thinks most of the people annoyed by Swift have more of a problem with her politics, than just a pretty famous person enjoying herself at a football game.

Rat

Reaction score
Objectively, she's very talented, and from what I can tell, she's surprisingly well-grounded. As the father of an 8-year-old girl, I can think of many popstars from my generation who would have been much worse role models. That being said, the fact that her fame was basically bought curbs my respect a bit. Not that it's her fault she's a billionaire offspring, just more represents a bigger problem. Her music isn't terrible, but wow is it overplayed. I like Olivia Rodrigo better; not that I'm saving up to get concert tickets for either.

As for the NFL thing, I get why they embrace it, but I don't like it. Her presence very much benefits the league's pockets and it's easy to worry that it will lead to them - consciously or unconsciously - directing Chiefs games in the direction that benefits them the most. As long as there is so much subjectivity in the way games are being officiated, it will be difficult to not harbor those paranoias.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I actually thought there was an improvement in how many times they panned to TS in the Buffalo game. I honestly think the Network and/or NFL started hearing some grumblings from the rank and file hardcore football fans.

Might not be true, but it just seemed that way to me compared to some of the earlier games in KC and NYC when she was panned to after every single Kelce catch and before every commercial break.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I have no opinion of Taylor Swift's music as I haven't listened to any of it, and outside of her physical appearance, which has been limited to one controllable attribute, I've said nothing negative about her.

Everyone has a shelf life. Once they get over exposed, they no longer appeal to you. I think that's one of the problems with sports announcers, why so many people don't like Al Michaels, Chris Collingsworth, or other announcers they see and hear too often. I think that's one of my problems with Taylor Swift, that I have to watch her jump around several times during every Chiefs game wearing that gawd awful lipstick on her smoochers. It has nothing to do with her personally.
Never said you did my friend.

I agree with your post. I will admit though, her shelf life has already lasted much longer than most pop stars (her first album was released in 2006). Obviously, once her age precludes her from connecting to a younger audience, there will be challenges in maintaining her level of relevance. But right now, she is as big and influential as anyone we have ever seen, like it or not.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
One thing I know 100% is that more people like Taylor and everything she does than like or care anything about you. It shouldn’t be a surprise that they are catering to those people and not you. Not everything has to be for you…

I just think that a person who is tired of seeing and hearing about her wouldn’t mention her in every single thread.

flv2

Reaction score
I hope she buys the Arizona Cardinals and makes herself GM & President, just so some of you can get to see her more often. 🤣

Ok. It's a bit annoying when the camera switches to a celebrity fan, or a player's mother, when the team scores, but meh, get over it. It's the National Entertainment League. Business is business.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If I saw her walking down the street and she wasn't famous, I doubt I would glance twice at her. She's not ugly, she just has a so-so look to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.