Start Drew Lock for remainder?

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Begs the question I suppose, how much of a positive impact was it on 2012 DangeRuss and the boys?

How much did that playoff experience/loss benefit them? Or were they just a special, uber talented MJ level focus on winning type of group?

seahawks08

Reaction score
Pete would never do that. Every coach knows a player’s confidence breeds accuracy and the sense of wanting to win. You never take that away from a signal caller and lose the entire team.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Geno is no longer the schnitzel. Start Lock. Why not?
I think I heard something about “always compete” or something…. Can’t 100% remember where….

lock assessment would be important both going into draft and whatever they are going to do with geno After season I would think

Mrtom48

Reaction score
They won’t but it would be the best thing to do. You need to find out what you have in Lock so if Geno gets too expensive next year.
Geno is not the problem. This team is 0 and 4 vs the NFC South ... A division that is filled with teams under .500. Is that not a reflection on the defense? The team as a whole plays well but is not competitive.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Geno is not the problem. This team is 0 and 4 vs the NFC South ... A division that is filled with teams under .500. Is that not a reflection on the defense? The team as a whole plays well but is not competitive.
Geno is a part of the problem, the defense a bigger part of the problem. It’s not an either or situation, it’s a both thing.

beaumaris

Reaction score
1) They could win one or more games. Unlikely? Sure. Possible? Yes. It's exciting for the team and the fans.
2) Players get playoff game experience.
3) The potential for insane things to happen like BeastQuake.
Lol!

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
They aint making the playoffs. Geno has lost what 5 of last 6 games? If Geno is hurt, even just from a pure business standpoint, we should protect him as a commodity. And we absolutely do need to see where Lock is at, and we have a decent excuse to protect Geno's ego, he's hurt.
Really?
There are many scenarios where if they only win ONE of the last two games, that they still get in..........

Donn2390

Reaction score
I'm anxious to see Lock also, and see what he has learned and picked up watching for a year. He will get his chance, that is the purpose of training camp and practice games.
This year he is the designated back up, which means he stands by, learns and stays ready to compete in case of an injury.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Really?
There are many scenarios where if they only win ONE of the last two games, that they still get in..........
Yeah I was surprised to learn this a few days ago, I hope they can finish strong

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why on earth would,should we want this team to make the playoffs ?

Cause making the playoffs is....................................good? and not making the playoffs is...............bad?

What a spoiled existence we Hawk fans have lived in when we don't even think making the playoffs is a good thing anymore.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Geno is a part of the problem, the defense a bigger part of the problem. It’s not an either or situation, it’s a both thing.
Except it's really not. Most of our offensive ineptitude has been at the play calling level, not Geno. Geno has not been great the last two games but he's been mostly not bad either. He's been mediocre, which when added to his very good play the rest of the year, makes focusing on Geno reductive. In fact, if it wasn't for opinions formed before the season started, we'd barely be talking about it.

Further, starting Lock when this team still has a chance to make the playoffs sabotages our relationship with Geno to learn not much about Lock. If we have any plans to bring him back next year, you absolutely do not tell him we're taking away your chance to make the playoffs so we can look at your replacement in case you end up being too expensive.

-

Overall, though, I simply don't understand being so blasé about tanking, even as just a fan. This isn't a particularly great strategy even in the NBA (teams that tank tend to just keep tanking at every set back) and the NBA is a league where one great player can be a huge difference. This is mostly a terrible strategy in the NFL where you typically need not just a good draft but smart, strategic FA acquisitions to turn a season around. There are too many players on a starting roster for one draft to change your fortunes significantly. Even getting the 'best' QB in the draft is simply a gamble.

We tank now we get, what, 3 spots better in the draft on our second first round pick? How many extra wins is that next year? One... maybe? And that's if we don't alienate the entire locker room by giving up on a team that still has hopes for the playoffs.

The NFL is an any given Sunday league. The Seahawks team that showed up during our win streak can play with anyone in the NFL. If you make the playoffs, all bets are off so everyone who says 'I don't want to see this team make the playoffs' I really don't understand.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The gig is up with Smith. There is now tape and teams have/are adjusting. Smith isn't good enough to adapt to the adjustments teams have made let alone make his own adjustments and is one of the reasons the Hawks have lost 5 of their last 6 games.
Absolute untruth ^, With the falter scheme the Seahawks Defense have employed, they cannot STOP the running attacks, + no REAL running attack of our own = MOST of those 5 Losses.
Defenses know these weaknesses (film) and they also know that if they stymie Blythe & blow up the middle of the Offensive Line, Geno won't have the TIME to get the ball out to his Receivers.....AND NEITHER WOULD LOCK be able to overcome those exact same weaknesses.
Geno IS NOT THE PROBLEM, quite the contrary.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Absolute untruth ^, With the falter scheme the Seahawks Defense have employed, they cannot STOP the running attacks, + no REAL running attack of our own = MOST of those 5 Losses.
Defenses know these weaknesses (film) and they also know that if they stymie Blythe & blow up the middle of the Offensive Line, Geno won't have the TIME to get the ball out to his Receivers.....AND NEITHER WOULD LOCK be able to overcome those exact same weaknesses.
Geno IS NOT THE PROBLEM, quite the contrary.
Absolutely this post!

flv2

Reaction score
Lock isn't a raw 1st or 2nd year player who needs playing time. There's nothing to gain from boosting Lock's profile, (and it's currently so low that anything would raise it). Lock's contract is expiring. He will seek a market value contract in free agency. The Seahawks have seen Lock all year. They know whether or not they want him to return as a back-up.

Latest posts