Stadiums in crime areas.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Alright I thought of something. How about instead of doing something cruel and belittling like Soylent green or Running Man, we collectively stop feeling bad for homeless people. Stop giving them money when they beg.

When you have a family member or friend who chooses to get addicted to drugs or gambling or whatever, stop saying "oh poor him, he has an addiction and needs help". Instead, the mentality should be "what a dumbfuck who purposely chose to dig his own grave". People feed off of pity. They like it. Don't pity them. Hate them.

Funny you bring up family, because IMO that's one of the things about the homeless epidemic people and politicians don't talk enough about.

It used to be when a family had a problem child, or a family member who fell on hard times. They'd circle the wagons, get involved and figure out a way to help, house and clean up that person.

So with the deterioration of the family unit over the past couple of decades, broken homes, and overall dysfunctional splintering of far too many families? It's led to more and more people, especially young people who've had to become homeless.

Again, I don't have all the answers. But "just stop giving them money" seems awful simplistic of a solution. It's far more complex than that fender.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Funny you bring up family, because IMO that's one of the things about the homeless epidemic people and politicians don't talk enough about.

It used to be when a family had a problem child, or a family member who fell on hard times. They'd circle the wagons, get involved and figure out a way to help, house and clean up that person.

So with the deterioration of the family unit over the past couple of decades, broken homes, and overall dysfunctional splintering of far too many families? It's led to more and more people, especially young people who've had to become homeless.

Again, I don't have all the answers. But "just stop giving them money" seems awful simplistic of a solution. It's far more complex than that fender.

I don't disagree.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I agree it's bad, but again IMO it's always been bad. Especially before the SODO area was revamped with the influx of businesses and all the new commerce surrounding the new stadiums of the 90's and 2000's.

SODO was NOT a nice area when it was just the Kingdome down there. It was really rough.

My guess is if you did this report 20 or 30 years ago, it'd be the same cities.
This is so true . I worked in SODO for two years until recently. Had one problem with a bum/addict in those two years. Just walk forward when someone is saying something you aren’t interested in. You’ll also meet some fascinating people if you sit down and eat a burrito with them.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
There is actually a high percentage of homeless people who have chosen that lifestyle.
What do you mean by this? That they don’t want to be in overcrowded shelters? Yes some chose to not to be there, although not a “high” percentage. If you are saying something else you are just peddling (parroting) a false narrative based on bullshit.

The Dirty Dozen Fan

Reaction score
Isn't the L.A Coliseum in a bad area ? Near South central L.A ? Even though it's now gone, the drive out of Candlestick Park took you through Hunters Point which was a traumatic experience itself.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
What do you mean by this? That they don’t want to be in overcrowded shelters? Yes some chose to not to be there, although not a “high” percentage. If you are saying something else you are just peddling (parroting) a false narrative based on bullshit.
"High" might have been the wrong word choice. Homelessness has always been a problem. Worldwide! There is a higher percentage of homelessness by choice than most would expect. I don't think anyone knows what the percentage is but homeless by choice is a real thing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Isn't the L.A Coliseum in a bad area ? Near South central L.A ? Even though it's now gone, the drive out of Candlestick Park took you through Hunters Point which was a traumatic experience itself.
It’s more mixed now. The Coli is in Exposition Park across Exposition Blvd. from USC’s campus. There is definitely crime in that area, but the immediate neighborhood has seen a fair amount of gentrification in the last few decades.

JPatera76

Reaction score

I can't speak for what the person was mentioning. But... Ive had a few friends ( a couple who were prior military and served with me ) They felt like they couldn't fit in or relate with anyone they used to know let alone "normal society" so they gave everything up and chose to live on the streets. Sadly I haven't been able to find them or catch up with them now a days, and its been years since I last heard from them, but they were always open about saying "I'd rather be homeless than feel unwelcomed, or out of place anymore" and they did it. I had a brother in law whose brother chose to be homeless because he said he didn't want to pay any bills.

"shrug" So there are at least a few who chose it. But I'm not sure about "the majority"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I can't speak for what the person was mentioning. But... Ive had a few friends ( a couple who were prior military and served with me ) They felt like they couldn't fit in or relate with anyone they used to know let alone "normal society" so they gave everything up and chose to live on the streets. Sadly I haven't been able to find them or catch up with them now a days, and its been years since I last heard from them, but they were always open about saying "I'd rather be homeless than feel unwelcomed, or out of place anymore" and they did it. I had a brother in law whose brother chose to be homeless because he said he didn't want to pay any bills.

"shrug" So there are at least a few who chose it. But I'm not sure about "the majority"

I'm confused by the "they want to be homeless" hot take.

It doesn't change any part of trying to find the solutions to getting people off the streets.

Does it ease people's guilt? Does it contribute to some sort of confirmation bias? Idk. Seems odd to fixate on why people are there, rather than solutions of how to get them off the streets.

Latest posts