Source: Wilson on a "One-Year Audition" for Payton/Broncos

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Source is NBC writer Matthew Berry.

"Said one source: 'I don't think [Sean] Payton likes Russ. He's got one year to prove himself or Payton will move on,'" Berry wrote. "This source pointed out that Payton has said multiple times in public, on the record, how Russell keeps 'bothering Drew Brees.' Payton tries to play it off for a laugh, but my source doesn't think Payton actually think it's funny."

morgulon1

Reaction score
I wonder how much (if any) or this is true. I would think Payton would've considered all the outcomes before signing up and wouldn't go into a tough situation with a QB who has an albatross for a contract.

toffee

Reaction score
When and how did Wilson bother Drew Brees? What did Wilson wanted out of Drew Brees?

chris98251

Reaction score
When and how did Wilson bother Drew Brees? What did Wilson wanted out of Drew Brees?
Well given Wilson is obsessive about everything and wanted Payton as his coach I can imagine calling and calling picking his brain about what to do and not to do to curry Payton's favor, offensive insights etc.

chrispy

Reaction score
The Broncos have 6 picks this year, but they don't start until round 3. Those picks will send a distinct message. RCW consistently said he didn't have the support in Seattle and lobbied for JimmyGrahm, PercyHarvin and Olinemen (and others that weren't as distasteful). If Payton is truly thinking about getting past RCW, he could take a project QB. ...or use his picks on D to backfill FA losses. The only advantage he has is a free year to develop and teach without any expectations. They have needs everywhere, no draft picks and no cap space (yes, exaggeration) so every decision will be very calculated.

On the other hand, if he follows his success from NO, he'll sign the best FA QB next off-season. Who's going to want to play behind that line? ...even if it's bolstered this year with a round 3 OG and a round 5 OT...???

All that's to say Sean Payton's decisions are a year off and I predict they'll be so obvious at that point no one will be surprised. He's making big bucks to take heat for a year (like thie aforementioned article) and measure the assets that are worth keeping.

toffee

Reaction score
The Broncos have 6 picks this year, but they don't start until round 3. Those picks will send a distinct message. RCW consistently said he didn't have the support in Seattle and lobbied for JimmyGrahm, PercyHarvin and Olinemen (and others that weren't as distasteful). If Payton is truly thinking about getting past RCW, he could take a project QB. ...or use his picks on D to backfill FA losses. The only advantage he has is a free year to develop and teach without any expectations. They have needs everywhere, no draft picks and no cap space (yes, exaggeration) so every decision will be very calculated.

On the other hand, if he follows his success from NO, he'll sign the best FA QB next off-season. Who's going to want to play behind that line? ...even if it's bolstered this year with a round 3 OG and a round 5 OT...???

All that's to say Sean Payton's decisions are a year off and I predict they'll be so obvious at that point no one will be surprised. He's making big bucks to take heat for a year (like thie aforementioned article) and measure the assets that are worth keeping.
Wilson always claimed that he spent huge effort in his health and conditioning so he can play for another 10 years. With that, if Payton and Wilson couldn't click, where will Wilson go? Which team will take him on?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Just to be clear if this pairing doesn't work..Me3 is the one out not SP
It may be as a backup but he's not running the show anymore clearly.

toffee

Reaction score
Just to be clear if this pairing doesn't work..Me3 is the one out not SP
It may be as a backup but he's not running the show anymore clearly.
Agreed, but will there be football life after Broncos for Wilson? Will teams take him as starter? or as backup at that point? Could he be willing to step in to a backup or a QB competition?

If the pairing doesn't work, Wilson would have chew though 5 HC/OC at that point, he could be fairly or unfairly be labeled as un-coachable, make that old fat and un-coachable.

This year is a must succeed for Wilson.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Agreed, but will there be football life after Broncos for Wilson? Will teams take him as starter? or as backup at that point? Could he be willing to step in to a backup or a QB competition?

If the pairing doesn't work, Wilson would have chew though 5 HC/OC at that point, he could be fairly or unfairly be labeled as un-coachable, make that old fat and un-coachable.

Now you got me wanting to watch that circus act again :LOL:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Payton needs to sit Russ down and Make him watch Brock Purdys press conferences.

Winning: “I’m just one cog here. My job is to distribute the football. I had some plays I wanted back (names plays) that I’ll be working on.“

Losing: “The elbow was extremely painful. I just feel for guys like Trent and Arik, guys who’ve been (at the quest) for so long.”

Donn2390

Reaction score
If , or should I say when, Russell falls out of favor in Denver, he will retire. It's the only way to save face, fake an injury and go back to Hollywood (if his mama doesn't dump his worthless butt) and have more time to spend his money.

chrispy

Reaction score

I think he has a base salary of something like 17million next year and then I don't know the specifics of the yearly the contract guarantees, but it's still a lot. If RCW and SP marriage doesn't work, he'll get cut and the Broncos will take a big cap hit. They'll be required to continue paying his guaranteed portion of his contract in total unless another team signs him. (If another team signs him, the guaranteed money would still be required to be equal (or more) to that which is guaranteed by the Broncos. In those cases, the previous team and new team both end up paying.)

I bring this up because RCW will be guaranteed a truckload of money every year until 2028 unless he agrees to restructure. I could see him taking a year or two off. I think he'd expect to be able to continue to build his brand and other businesses, then come back as if he fixed himself. Anyone that closes their eyes and imagines this scenario would also see a dumpster fire in action. However, RCW doesn't believe reality applies to him. I'd expect him to sign somewhere after his time off and anticipate winning a competition to a starting role. I'd further expect that the NFL will put that team and competition on Hard Knocks because we all would watch every second... and be thoroughly embarrassed... but still watch.

toffee

Reaction score
I think he has a base salary of something like 17million next year and then I don't know the specifics of the yearly the contract guarantees, but it's still a lot. If RCW and SP marriage doesn't work, he'll get cut and the Broncos will take a big cap hit. They'll be required to continue paying his guaranteed portion of his contract in total unless another team signs him. (If another team signs him, the guaranteed money would still be required to be equal (or more) to that which is guaranteed by the Broncos. In those cases, the previous team and new team both end up paying.)

I bring this up because RCW will be guaranteed a truckload of money every year until 2028 unless he agrees to restructure. I could see him taking a year or two off. I think he'd expect to be able to continue to build his brand and other businesses, then come back as if he fixed himself. Anyone that closes their eyes and imagines this scenario would also see a dumpster fire in action. However, RCW doesn't believe reality applies to him. I'd expect him to sign somewhere after his time off and anticipate winning a competition to a starting role. I'd further expect that the NFL will put that team and competition on Hard Knocks because we all would watch every second... and be thoroughly embarrassed... but still watch.
Wilson has no brand if he isn't playing football. By the time Payton rids of him from Broncos, he would that three time loser, and he isn't even a loveable loser, don't you think?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

He doesn’t have The option of actually not being there. He will have to serve as qb2 as His contract mandates it.

chrispy

Reaction score
Wilson has no brand if he isn't playing football. By the time Payton rids of him from Broncos, he would that three time loser, and he isn't even a loveable loser, don't you think?
Wilson lives in his own reality. To him, no limits.... Limitless Loser...???

I think (if ... and after ...) he still has one more failure in store. Another team will sign him because the Broncos will still be paying and it'll be free to let him try and win a job in camp. ...and it'd be great tv on Hard Knocks.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Payton needs to sit Russ down and Make him watch Brock Purdys press conferences.

Winning: “I’m just one cog here. My job is to distribute the football. I had some plays I wanted back (names plays) that I’ll be working on.“

Losing: “The elbow was extremely painful. I just feel for guys like Trent and Arik, guys who’ve been (at the quest) for so long.”
This reminds me of the time the Yankees (I believe it was them, might be wrong) told the players to be like Russ and not Cam Newton in their press conferences, back in 2015.

keasley45

Reaction score
If , or should I say when, Russell falls out of favor in Denver, he will retire. It's the only way to save face, fake an injury and go back to Hollywood (if his mama doesn't dump his worthless butt) and have more time to spend his money.

Yup.

Two lines of thought with Russ.

1. He has been so blind to his own shortcomings that he's torpedoed his own career and along the way, placed blame at the feet of those around him to make himself look like the good guy.

2. He's very aware of his shortfalls and since 2019 has been looking to do nothing more than get himself one last, fat contract so that he can ride off into the sunset as a retired athlete/ business man, with a championship under his belt and a 'what might have been...' story that he'll no doubt start to weave this year as he will look to pin his ultimate failure on injuries - getting hit too many times trying to save all of those offenses that were woefully incapable of harnessing his full potential.

I think it's probably a combination of the two.