Some promising news at NT thankfully!

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Glad to see positive Reports on C. Young. Even if it doesn't carry much weight yet….yes pun intended. 😉

I’m still concerned about the NT position given how much the 3-4 defense relies on that position to set hold the middle and set the tone in run defense. We saw how long the best looking UDFA lasted. 😕

Would still like to see a proven veteran NT added for depth or even rotation with Young.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Glad to see positive Reports on C. Young. Even if it doesn't carry much weight yet….yes pun intended. 😉

I’m still concerned about the NT position given how much the 3-4 defense relies on that position to set hold the middle and set the tone in run defense. We saw how long the best looking UDFA lasted. 😕

Would still like to see a proven veteran NT added for depth or even rotation with Young.
Well, in all honestly - from my perspective, I'd agree with a veteran - but this is great preliminary news considering what we 'thought' we might be getting this year after the departures.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Forrest Merrill is the latest casualty at NT. So they have 21 DBs (which is about 25% of the current 90 man roster) and only 5 NT/DT type players (combined total). Reed is listed as DE on the roster -
https://www.seahawks.com/team/players-roster/.

This is quite similar to Wally Walker's SuperSonics roster management strategy when all he would pick were SF types. When they really needed a center.

morgulon1

Reaction score
"But Hurtt and the Seahawks have shown the utmost confidence in Young, who made a strong impression on coaches during a pre-draft visit at the NFL combine, believing he will be more than ready to make an immediate impact in the pros after a stellar collegiate career at Mississippi State."

My favorite part of the article. Huh huh huh he said " but hurt"

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Cameron Young was a huge value pick for Seattle. Definitely BPA at the time and position. Let's hope he does well.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Forrest Merrill is the latest casualty at NT. So they have 21 DBs (which is about 25% of the current 90 man roster) and only 5 NT/DT type players (combined total). Reed is listed as DE on the roster -
https://www.seahawks.com/team/players-roster/.

This is quite similar to Wally Walker's SuperSonics roster management strategy when all he would pick were SF types. When they really needed a center.
Forrest Merrill was not the answer. It makes no sense to get butt hurt and condemn the front office for letting a player go who was not going to make the 53.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Forrest Merrill was not the answer. It makes no sense to get butt hurt and condemn the front office for letting a player go who was not going to make the 53.
I'm not condemning them for Merrill. He shouldn't have been signed anyway at the expense of Robert Copper, nonetheless. I'm wondering why they are trying out 21 DBs and only a handful of DL (specifically guys who are NT).

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I'm not condemning them for Merrill. He shouldn't have been signed anyway at the expense of Robert Copper, nonetheless. I'm wondering why they are trying out 21 DBs and only a handful of DL (specifically guys who are NT).
Robert Copper became a forum favorite because of his size and nickname. Jonah Tavai is the much more interesting UDFA signing.

My guess is that Cameron Young and Tavai have impressed thus far, making the likes of Merrill and Cooper expendable.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Robert Copper became a forum favorite because of his size and nickname. Jonah Tavai is the much more interesting UDFA signing.

My guess is that Cameron Young and Tavai have impressed thus far, making the likes of Merrill and Cooper expendable.
Good points. However, if you are to look at positions that are more influx or uncertain, NT/DT is one of those. While Young and Tavai are promising, they are still rookies who haven't played a down in the NFL yet. Whereas, the secondary seems to be more set on paper (at least) with Diggs, Adams, Love, Woolen, Witherspoon, Bryant, Brown, etc.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Good points. However, if you are to look at positions that are more influx or uncertain, NT/DT is one of those. While Young and Tavai are promising, they are still rookies who haven't played a down in the NFL yet. Whereas, the secondary seems to be more set on paper (at least) with Diggs, Adams, Love, Woolen, Witherspoon, Bryant, Brown, etc.
The team typically starts the season with 10-11 DBs and 2-3 NTs on the roster. Having 21 DBs and 5 NTs on the 90-man roster seems about right.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seems to me the jury is still out in terms of whether the team has solved the NT problem. I suspect there will be a good bit of churning at the position until the right guys are found. All that said Cameron Young looks like a nice addition but he is still nevertheless a rookie. it was too bad the team couldn't reach a varied deal with Big Al.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Why all the concern about NT? It’s a low impact position requiring mass more than technique and football IQ. There is a reason most NT get low salaries. So if we have to start a rookie so be it. We started a 5th round rookie at CB last year, a far more premium position, and he became a star.

I just don’t get the concern. If you are going to be thin in an area, NT, Center and off ball LB are the places to be thin. A quality kicker is more valuable than a NT.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Dude is a strong human being. Nobody in here liked it when we drafted him for some reason. Probably casuals

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
"But Hurtt and the Seahawks have shown the utmost confidence in Young, who made a strong impression on coaches during a pre-draft visit at the NFL combine, believing he will be more than ready to make an immediate impact in the pros after a stellar collegiate career at Mississippi State."

My favorite part of the article. Huh huh huh he said " but hurt"
I thought it was a shout out to .net when I first read that. Maybe it was and just got autocorrected…

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It would sure be nice if Young (or another NT) is the long-term answer at NT but seriously, we just need someone to hold down the fort for at least a year until P&J decide to invest more at the position, whether that be salary cap in FA or draft capital.

My point being... Young doesn't need to a very young Al Woods but it sure would be nice if he is.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Seems to me the jury is still out in terms of whether the team has solved the NT problem. I suspect there will be a good bit of churning at the position until the right guys are found. All that said Cameron Young looks like a nice addition but he is still nevertheless a rookie. it was too bad the team couldn't reach a varied deal with Big Al.
I'm beginning to wonder if the plan is to rotate Jarran Reed in at NT.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Seahawks had one of the worst run defenses in the league in 2022. NT is the key initial point of the 3-4 defense needed to stop the run Otherwise you get gouged up the middle for chunk plays. The concern regarding lack of depth at NT is viable concern. Relying on a rookie NT and UDFA’s seems to be a risky move. A veteran run stuffing NT would be a welcome addition to provide quality depth.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
That is a good point and could be the plan on passing downs or even in rotation. After adding Edwards, they could run a front of Edwards (DE) Reed (NT), Jones (DE) front time to time.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Yeah he’s not much smaller than Young, I just don’t know enough about D line play to know if it’s a hard transition?