Some promising news at NT thankfully!

BASF

Reaction score
Yeah he’s not much smaller than Young, I just don’t know enough about D line play to know if it’s a hard transition?
Reed has played some nose on lines after we dropped him. It's not like it is a foreign concept to him. As far as transition, NT is an offensive line disrupter more than anything. It is about not letting either the center or guard disengage from you so they can't block the linebackers.

Jville

Reaction score
Reed has played some nose on lines after we dropped him. It's not like it is a foreign concept to him. As far as transition, NT is an offensive line disrupter more than anything. It is about not letting either the center or guard disengage from you so they can't block the linebackers.

Joe Nash comes to mind as an example of an undersized and dynamic attacking style. Disruptive and persistent. Played from snap to whistle. Although, Nash was full time. Where as, we're probably going to see more of a rotation.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Joe Nash comes to mind as an example of an undersized and dynamic attacking style. Disruptive and persistent. Played from snap to whistle. Although, Nash was full time. Where as, we're probably going to see more of a rotation.
Joe Nash is one of my all-time favorite Seahawks. An undersized (6' 3"; 275 lbs.) undrafted free agent who initially was an NT and then a DT when Seattle switched back to a 4-3 defense in 1989 (I think?). A member of the Hawks 35th Anniversary team, he was tough as nails and a testament to the value of perseverance and hard work.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Keep in mind that on passing downs we go to our 'NASCAR' personnel. So our NT aren't necessarily 4-down linemen. We may just go with Young and Tuvai until Mone gets healthy, and then just Young and Mone.

Pete has said, "If you can play nose in college, you can play nose in the NFL." Basically implying that it's not a technical position, and Young could definitely play nose. So other than maybe more camp competition we may be fine with what we have.

Also remember that our problems with stopping the run last year were getting the fit(s) right and keeping contain, not that our NT was getting knocked off the ball. NT was one of the few things that WERE working.

Jville

Reaction score
Joe Nash is one of my all-time favorite Seahawks. An undersized (6' 3"; 275 lbs.) undrafted free agent who initially was an NT and then a DT when Seattle switched back to a 4-3 defense in 1989 (I think?). A member of the Hawks 35th Anniversary team, he was tough as nails and a testament to the value of perseverance and hard work.

I think the 275 number was his listed weight toward the end of his career. If I recall correctly, Joseph began his career at a listed weight of 254 pounds as a starter between Jacob Green and Jeff Bryant. A terrific trio. That was an era when NFL linemen added a lot more playing weight. (Triggered by rule changes and changes in rule enforcement).

Tom Catlin was a memorable and the highly successful defensive coordinator of that era. Enjoyed every moment of Catlin's defense.

Chawker

Reaction score
Who are we kidding here people, Pete doesn't value the NT position, and until he does, we are going struggle against stopping the run. Sure we have better DE's that can play the run, but when its forth and goal in the big game, Petes going to lose every time. I have no faith in our run defense when it counts.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I think the 275 number was his listed weight toward the end of his career. If I recall correctly, Joseph began his career at a listed weight of 254 pounds as a starter between Jacob Green and Jeff Bryant. A terrific trio. That was an era when NFL linemen added a lot more playing weight. (Triggered by rule changes and changes in rule enforcement).

Tom Catlin was a memorable and the highly successful defensive coordinator of that era. Enjoyed every moment of Catlin's defense.
I agree. While I agree that the LOB is the best Hawks defense ever, the gap between it and Tom Catlin's 1984 defense is not that big. The 1984 defense was led by its front 3 and back 4. It had 42 sacks in 14 games (2013 LOB had 44 in 16 games) with the front 3 collecting 34 (Jeff Bryant 14, Jacob Green 13, Joe Nash 7). In 14 games it forced 47 fumbles and recovered 25 (2013 LOB 25-8 in 16 games), had 38 interceptions (2013 LOB had 28), and returned 7 for touchdowns. They returned 4 interceptions for touchdowns in one game (against the Chiefs) and set the NFL record for most interception return yards in a single game with 325. Kenny Easley was named the 1984 defensive player of the year. Had Curt Warner not torn his ACL in the season opener that year I truly believe the 1984 Hawks could have made it to the Super Bowl.

Again, the LOB did it better for longer, but the 1984 defense is significantly underrated and was a blast to watch.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Agree. Both Nash and Catlin are very underrated. Rusty Tillman was the ST coach during that period too.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I agree. While I agree that the LOB is the best Hawks defense ever, the gap between it and Tom Catlin's 1984 defense is not that big. The 1984 defense was led by its front 3 and back 4. It had 42 sacks in 14 games (2013 LOB had 44 in 16 games) with the front 3 collecting 34 (Jeff Bryant 14, Jacob Green 13, Joe Nash 7). In 14 games it forced 47 fumbles and recovered 25 (2013 LOB 25-8 in 16 games), had 38 interceptions (2013 LOB had 28), and returned 7 for touchdowns. They returned 4 interceptions for touchdowns in one game (against the Chiefs) and set the NFL record for most interception return yards in a single game with 325. Kenny Easley was named the 1984 defensive player of the year. Had Curt Warner not torn his ACL in the season opener that year I truly believe the 1984 Hawks could have made it to the Super Bowl.

Again, the LOB did it better for longer, but the 1984 defense is significantly underrated and was a blast to watch.
Great post. I was about to add that they were a Curt Warner knee away from getting to the SB. That 1984 defense was superb. That probably would have gone down as the best defense of the decade hadn't it been for the 1985 Bears. The Seahawks just struggled to piece together a consistent run game that season after Warner's injury.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He wasn't undersized at the time. We're used to thinking in terms of 300+ pound linemen. Back then, 300# linemen were rare.

Chicago D-lineman William Perry was nicknamed the Refrigerator because his size was so unusually large for the time. Nowadays, he'd be just average.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

I need to correct a mistake in the above post. 1984 was a sixteen game season, not a fourteen game season. The NFL switched from 14 to 16 games in 1978. My mistake.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Just for clarification you guys know Young came into the camps/activities at like 320, right? And someone here after the draft noted he played for Miss St. at around 318. He’s not 330+ yet but he’s also not going to be a 300 pound NT either. So it’s funny to me people are continually referring to him as too small.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Just for clarification you guys know Young came into the camps/activities at like 320, right? And someone here after the draft noted he played for Miss St. at around 318. He’s not 330+ yet but he’s also not going to be a 300 pound NT either. So it’s funny to me people are continually referring to him as too small.
I’m not concerned about Young’s size….just his inexperience and lack of depth behind him. 😁

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Yeah he’s not much smaller than Young, I just don’t know enough about D line play to know if it’s a hard transition?
Not really a lot will depend on if the Hawks will want the NT to be a read/react or a penetrator using stunts

A possibility is the Seahawks will have a game plan of getting to and playing with a lead which they will be more in nickel and cover 3 and not needing a run stuffer

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Jacob Green,Joe Nash,Jeff Bryant,Manu Tuiasosopo. Was a very underrated but potent 4-3 d line. One of the best the Seahawks ever had imo.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Who are we kidding here people, Pete doesn't value the NT position, and until he does, we are going struggle against stopping the run. Sure we have better DE's that can play the run, but when its forth and goal in the big game, Petes going to lose every time. I have no faith in our run defense when it counts.

Pete’s teams were always effective against the run until the last 3 years. And he’s never valued run stuffing interior linemen. No team does. The only interior guys that get paid are the Donald/Watt guys.

Stopping the run has little to do with your NT and a whole lot to do with your run fits and setting edges.