Some of you really don't understand how Pete operates

Tical21

Reaction score
Tamerlane":1hpwivz2 said:
Tical21":1hpwivz2 said:
When we were up 24-0, Pete thought "the only chance we can possibly lose this game is if we get cute and turn the ball over." So he didn't. He knew there was no way the Falcons could put up 24 and somehow if they did, all he would have to do is score once. And he was absolutely right. Again. And nobody can handle it. It's absolute insanity at this point.

Bingo. Someone elsewhere posted a win probability graph and based on those calculations the game was never particularly close at all. It just felt that way to some. Historically, I was curious how many teams have made up a 24 point margin but I couldn't quite find that statistic, but I did find the stat that teams with 25+ point leads have a win record of 2,545 - 4 - 2.. Turnovers are basically the only way.

"Putting your foot on the throat" sounds tough and all but it really doesn't make sense. It's precisely what Kyle Shanahan did in Superbowl LI, most fatally late in the game when he called repeated pass plays instead of setting up for what would have been an absolute game-sealing field goal. Pete is wiser than that. Those ridiculously tight throws to Lockette in the first half yesterday, those misses by Moore, etc -- tell me you want to tempt fate over and over again on that with a 4 score lead and expect nothing to go wrong. The week after a pick-six.

By the way, has anyone recently brought up the fact that the 2013 team had no less than 6 one-score victories in regular season, 2 in overtime? This is Peteball. And it's worked consistently well over two straight decades, including this year. I'm enjoying the season, I hope others are too, but I can't imagine how with all this hand-wringing over wins that weren't really close and a 6-2 record for squad in mid-rebuild.
Boom! Drop that mic with ya bad self.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":g95tzza2 said:
Tamerlane":g95tzza2 said:
Tical21":g95tzza2 said:
When we were up 24-0, Pete thought "the only chance we can possibly lose this game is if we get cute and turn the ball over." So he didn't. He knew there was no way the Falcons could put up 24 and somehow if they did, all he would have to do is score once. And he was absolutely right. Again. And nobody can handle it. It's absolute insanity at this point.

Bingo. Someone elsewhere posted a win probability graph and based on those calculations the game was never particularly close at all. It just felt that way to some. Historically, I was curious how many teams have made up a 24 point margin but I couldn't quite find that statistic, but I did find the stat that teams with 25+ point leads have a win record of 2,545 - 4 - 2.. Turnovers are basically the only way.

"Putting your foot on the throat" sounds tough and all but it really doesn't make sense. It's precisely what Kyle Shanahan did in Superbowl LI, most fatally late in the game when he called repeated pass plays instead of setting up for what would have been an absolute game-sealing field goal. Pete is wiser than that. Those ridiculously tight throws to Lockette in the first half yesterday, those misses by Moore, etc -- tell me you want to tempt fate over and over again on that with a 4 score lead and expect nothing to go wrong. The week after a pick-six.

By the way, has anyone recently brought up the fact that the 2013 team had no less than 6 one-score victories in regular season, 2 in overtime? This is Peteball. And it's worked consistently well over two straight decades, including this year. I'm enjoying the season, I hope others are too, but I can't imagine how with all this hand-wringing over wins that weren't really close and a 6-2 record for squad in mid-rebuild.
Boom! Drop that mic with ya bad self.

Huh?

Putting your foot on someone's throat is when you're dominating and want to choke the life out of them, not after coughing up a big lead and THEN deciding to go back to how you got that big lead.

Jville

Reaction score
Not everyone is destined to understand or appreciate how Pete operates.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Even in this era of quant, there are factors that aren't quantifiable and that get away from you. Like momentum. It's like a California brush fire--you can light fires as your fire break, but it's preferable to not have the threat of it at all. It is better to just keep winning other than to introduce the "controlled" specter of a loss.

Taking your foot off the gas is a sign of weakness that costs games. The Raiders have a rep of doing this. It happens all the time with them. Even the Dolphins yesterday had a two score lead well into the game. Controlling momentum by letting it get away from you is not a good strategy.

OP
OP
T

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Tamerlane":3w1bh555 said:
Tical21":3w1bh555 said:

You nailed it. It is amazing how some people actually think it's so easy for a team to keep playing at a 24-0 1H pace for the entire 60 minutes. The other team adjusts, and if you keep being aggressive, it only takes a couple of miscues to let the other team right back into the game. The Falcon SB is a good example.

Jville

Reaction score
Tusc2000":28dvii1e said:
Tamerlane":28dvii1e said:
Tical21":28dvii1e said:

You nailed it. It is amazing how some people actually think it's so easy for a team to keep playing at a 24-0 1H pace for the entire 60 minutes. The other team adjusts, and if you keep being aggressive, it only takes a couple of miscues to let the other team right back into the game. The Falcon SB is a good example.

Pete's key descriptive word for Sundays's second half was "sloppy".

OP
OP
T

Tusc2000

Reaction score
ZagHawk":koq7zy3c said:
Tusc2000":koq7zy3c said:
When we go up 24-0, the opponent is no longer the other team -- it is the clock. Pete loosens the D and doesn't care if we give up 23 points. He goes conservative on O, to avoid turnovers and keep the clock moving.

The goal is to WIN, that is to win the game -- period. Not win by a landslide. Winning by 50-0 is pointless because margin of victory only means something in college football, it is irrelevant in the NFL.

Sure, we could have tackled much better, and maybe a few offensive plays could have been better disguised. But in t the end, we have a W, and that's the only thing that counts.

No we understand how he works, we're just tired of it

I can almost guarantee that when Pete eventually leaves, the same people who are so tired of winning these close games will be crying for him to come back after 2 years. We might get lucky with a hot young coach, but it is really hard to dominate in the NFL for multiple years. There are even some grumblings now about Sean McVay because the Rams are only 5-3. Some fans think anything less than perfection is justification for demanding changes.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
We have all seen it many times. In those games where the Seahawks look to run away with a blistering score there are a few things that consistently happen. Penalties seem to come in bunches, the defense allows the opponent to move the ball and the offense goes 3 and out at a frustrating rate. It is PC playing the numbers, he knows that if followed that in most cases the opponent is not going to complete the comeback in full while hoping for that opponent to make a mistake in the passing game. Its one thing when you have the 2013-14 defense but when you have the young secondary it looks a lot more risky. I suspect that this team will do what all PC Seahawk teams will do, improve in the 2nd half of the season on both sides of the ball.

The Hawks are usually on the crummy end of the games they have won of late, then get stronger in the late season. This time they are 6-2 instead of 4-4. I will take that all day long and hope for improvement.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":15x3set0 said:

Doesn't have to be this black and white.

Like I said above we can appreciate the hell out of Pete for how he's built and continues to run his football operations from the top down as good as anyone in the NFL, past or present (and most of us do appreciate Pete)............yet still have serious issues with how he schemes, gameplans and his glaring situational in game playcalling and decision making.

In my perfect world Pete gives up more of the scheming and playcalling to his coordinators and Russell. Again, doesn't have to be so "either you appreciate Pete or you don't."

I've lived through 2-14 and moving vans, so believe me what Pete's done and still means to the Hawks is certainly not lost on me, nor do I lack serious appreciation for it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b3en1nr said:
Jville":2b3en1nr said:

Doesn't have to be this black and white.

Like I said above we can appreciate the hell out of Pete for how he's built and continues to run his football operations from the top down as good as anyone in the NFL, past or present (and most of us do appreciate Pete)............yet still have serious issues with how he schemes, gameplans and his glaring situational in game playcalling and decision making.

In my perfect world Pete gives up more of the scheming and playcalling to his coordinators and Russell. Again, doesn't have to be so "either you appreciate Pete or you don't."

I've lived through 2-14 and moving vans, so believe me what Pete's done and still means to the Hawks is certainly not lost on me, nor do I lack serious appreciation for it.

Agreed. I've been one of the harshest critics of many of Pete's decisions and philosophy, including but not limited to trades, draft picks, game management, his coaching style, even his demeanor in press conferences. But that's not to be interpreted as overall disapproval. I still recognize him as one of the top HC's in the league.

Jville

Reaction score
Pete's never claimed to be perfect. Indeed, imperfections are opportunities to learn. As Pete acknowledges routinely. A tell the truth day serves that purpose weekly. They self scout routinely. I strongly doubt his most harden critics do as much.

What is very evident every year is that ...... Pete has a line of people coming in to spend time with him and get to know his Seahawks philosophy, program and culture.

That's not the kind of acknowledgement any of Pete's most harden forum critics enjoy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":ao09fz1m said:
That's not the kind of acknowledgement any of Pete's most harden forum critics enjoy.

Outliers, and therefore should be ignored accordingly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The best thing about being a sports fan, you can have your own opinion and stick with it. People are on both sides of it, doesn't make one side wrong or right. It's all OPINIONS.
Usually I spend a lot of time telling people it doesn't matter how it looks when they win. It did feel strange being so frustrated after that comeback on Sunday. But it truly doesn't matter as much as we allow it to grind on us.....just get the W. This isn't going to change, the style of football and his philosophy is going to stay the same. Frustrating or not, he is what he is. I think he's a damn good coach and motivator, and no he has not lost the team.
I will never understand the blatant refusal to adjust sometimes, but oh well. I'm just a fan watching from the stands, he knows 50 times more about football than any of us. Coaches and players are not above criticism though. The fact that people tell you you're not a real fan and/or a "hater" is next level lame. Fan how you want, if people don't like it, too bad. We could do a hell of a lot worse than Pete Carroll. He's still one of the best coaches in the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
I prefer win going away, 24 points cool keep playing and start getting guys in but keep playing with what you are doing, would have a been a good time to rotate in the second string receivers and Homer or Penny as cow bell back, good time to get our young safeties some more time and CB's who have not seen the field as much rotating them in every series. Good time to get Barton and our other LBs some rotational play, but keep playing hard and like your going for a win. Maybe give or second string QB a quarter of play if you push the lead out.

Latest posts