Some of you really don't understand how Pete operates

bbsplitter

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":alm6davu said:
We were not going to loSE that game, but they made it a game by going conservative. Should have went for the throat, it's 2019. Pete needs to stop living in his past and adjust. The Falcons got incredibly lucky when the Hawks dropped an easy pick 6. It goes both ways.

Pete does rely far too much on an elite defense he doesn't have anymore. Normally, I'd be fully with you that I am tired of playing it so conservative. I just don't think this game is a good example of it. The offense didn't execute in the second half, and the Falcons adapted on D. Unless you want the Hawk's to go for it on 4th down instead of kick the field goal after that 8 minute drive, they didn't really call it much differently than the first half. They were still passing on 3rd down. Russell was still holding on the ball to find people downfield (Lockett's big catches), he wasn't just throwing it away to play it safe.

Trust me, normally I would agree with you. But just factually to say this game was a good example of it is just ignoring what actually happened.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Draw play on 3rd and 2 from the shotgun. Pathetic play call when they had been passing the ball up and down the field. We all knew it was coming, the defense knew it was coming. Predictable crap. Just my own opinion, but I stick with it. If something is working, why change it? Even the announcers said that a particular pass play way working ALL DAY and he couldn't understand why the Falcons were not figuring it out.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
John63":2luxhkgf said:
bbsplitter":2luxhkgf said:
Flyingsquad23":2luxhkgf said:
Once again the difference in offense from first half to second was more about execution than play calls. First possession they called 2 run and 2 pass, Carson ran great in the first so one would think feeding him the rock to start the second with a big lead was the right cal but.... a penalty creating 1st & 15 and then a sack.

Second possession, 2 runs and one completed pass. Giving the ball to Carson on 3&3 is a call I’m ok with, didn’t work.

Third possession 10 plays over 6min and a FG, score 27-11. Can’t complain about that one.

4th possession 3 and out but Atalanta had to use all their T.O. And was left with 2:41 down by 13. I’m not mad at that sequence either.

Last possession.... kneel down winner

I know people here think that because Atlanta was 1-6 they sucked but they really are a better team than the record would suggest. Playing at home they showed a little pride and played a solid second half. HAWKS WIN

Exactly, I don't think it was as conservative as people thought, we just didn't execute. Most of them were smart plays where if you were sat down in a vacuum and asked which play was the best for each situation you would have agreed.

Hmm so the answer when things go bad is execution, not coaching but execution. So the coaching always gets a pass. Got it. So running a play right to were the defense is expecting it and thinking it will work is on the players not the coaches. Got it. While I don't agree at least I get were some stand, coaches gods don't make mistakes, players mortal and worthless, as its all about the coaches and if what they say does not work it's the players not executing. Hmm

You seem to be a very black and white type person. I have criticized the coaches plenty. This game was not an example of what people are saying it was. That simple.

Yes PC is too conservative.
Yes PC sucks at in game adaptions.
Yes our defense plays looser than a free hooker.

But.

Those were not the reasons we sucked in the second half.

John63

Reaction score
bbsplitter":13phsdk2 said:
John63":13phsdk2 said:
bbsplitter":13phsdk2 said:
AgentDib":13phsdk2 said:
Maybe it felt that way as an emotional fan but that just isn't the case.

Agreed. Onside kicks have an extremely low percentage of success since the rule change they are almost impossible. If they would have recovered it I would have agreed they were "on the brink" of losing. But onside kicks fail far too often to consider it "on the brink" of anything.

We got lucky wiht the fumble that ws not a fumble, if that is called correctly we loose. So yeah it was that close.

If it was not a fumble, don't you mean if they had called it incorrectly?

It should not have been a fumble. so whatever that would be.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34x2htrd said:
Draw play on 3rd and 2 from the shotgun. Pathetic play call when they had been passing the ball up and down the field. We all knew it was coming, the defense knew it was coming. Predictable crap. Just my own opinion, but I stick with it. If something is working, why change it? Even the announcers said that a particular pass play way working ALL DAY and he couldn't understand why the Falcons were not figuring it out.

That's the thing though, if something is working... The run game was working. 98% of all head coaches in the NFL probably would have called that play or at least considered it a good play call option, with Carson running the way he had been. So I think you might have been in the minority on that one.

That pass play resulted in Russell getting sacked in the second half. The Falcons D adjusted to it.

John63

Reaction score
bbsplitter":qxx74ew5 said:
SoulfishHawk":qxx74ew5 said:
We were not going to loSE that game, but they made it a game by going conservative. Should have went for the throat, it's 2019. Pete needs to stop living in his past and adjust. The Falcons got incredibly lucky when the Hawks dropped an easy pick 6. It goes both ways.

Pete does rely far too much on an elite defense he doesn't have anymore. Normally, I'd be fully with you that I am tired of playing it so conservative. I just don't think this game is a good example of it. The offense didn't execute in the second half, and the Falcons adapted on D. Unless you want the Hawk's to go for it on 4th down instead of kick the field goal after that 8 minute drive, they didn't really call it much differently than the first half. They were still passing on 3rd down. Russell was still holding on the ball to find people downfield (Lockett's big catches), he wasn't just throwing it away to play it safe.

Trust me, normally I would agree with you. But just factually to say this game was a good example of it is just ignoring what actually happened.

The play calling in the 2nd half were putrid, they went conservative as well, unless Wilson went off script that as the only time we really did anything that was not conservative. Point in case we threw 6 passes all 2nd half and all of them were on the one drive we got a FG on, that is conservative.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
John63":35zg5eu7 said:
bbsplitter":35zg5eu7 said:
SoulfishHawk":35zg5eu7 said:

The play calling in the 2nd half were putrid, they went conservative as well, unless Wilson went off script that as the only time we really did anything that was not conservative. Point in case we threw 6 passes all 2nd half and all of them were on the one drive we got a FG on, that is conservative.

Which play calls do you have in mind that were "Putrid"? I re-watched the game and almost all of the play calls were pretty logical, and far from anything I was consider terrible. I've witness Bevell and Schotty call some pretty terrible mind numbing plays. There weren't any bubble screens on 3rd and 9. There weren't any all-go routes when we only needed 3 yards. The 'terrible' play calls just aren't there to be found.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I am talking about the same old crap call where Russ is in the shotgun. He hands the ball to Carson 5 or 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It rarely seems to work when it's needed on a 3rd and short. They do the same exact damn play over and over and over again. Enough already, CHANGE something. May as well just tell the opponent "ok, I'm gonna just hand it to Carson here"

D

DomeHawk

The first half was a good example of how good this team CAN be.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3u645286 said:
I am talking about the same old crap call where Russ is in the shotgun. He hands the ball to Carson 5 or 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It rarely seems to work when it's needed on a 3rd and short. They do the same exact damn play over and over and over again. Enough already, CHANGE something. May as well just tell the opponent "ok, I'm gonna just hand it to Carson here"

3rd21pass
1st10pass

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
In the 4TH quarter. Loved the play call to get it in to FG range, be it a long FG. But, as much as special teams has been an issue, Dickson and Myers were both on point yesterday.

rcaido

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2z8ia0jq said:

Yeah if they throw the ball and Wilson gets sack, you guys would complain, why not hand it to Carson. He has almost 100yrds...He can get those 3yrds...

Why did he kick a field goal? Why did he punt? Why pass and not run?

Here is a nice stat for you Pete haters...Score was 24-0 in the half...
DtrVomaUUAE0G9oformatjpgnamelarge

That was last year, i think its up to 54-0 now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3cax4afv said:
Once again the difference in offense from first half to second was more about execution than play calls. First possession they called 2 run and 2 pass, Carson ran great in the first so one would think feeding him the rock to start the second with a big lead was the right cal but.... a penalty creating 1st & 15 and then a sack.

Second possession, 2 runs and one completed pass. Giving the ball to Carson on 3&3 is a call I’m ok with, didn’t work.

Third possession 10 plays over 6min and a FG, score 27-11. Can’t complain about that one.

4th possession 3 and out but Atalanta had to use all their T.O. And was left with 2:41 down by 13. I’m not mad at that sequence either.

I know people here think that because Atlanta was 1-6 they sucked but they really are a better team than the record would suggest. Playing at home they showed a little pride and played a solid second half. HAWKS WIN
That's the one spot I was not OK with the playcall. Let your elite QB throw there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, we hate Pete. So if we don't worship everything he does, we hate him. Got it. :?
But hey, if you think the 3rd and 2 call was a good one, when they were clearly waiting for it, have at it. Predictable crap.
Making them use their timeout on that later drive was a good call. Last thing you wanted was an incomplete pass.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":251jzj26 said:
Flyingsquad23":251jzj26 said:

That's the one spot I was not OK with the playcall. Let your elite QB throw there.

Although I am not opposed to that, for this specific game our passing game wasn't really having a ton of success unless it was a broken play to Lockett, even in the first half. Almost every positive pass play occurred after Wilson broke out of the pocket and was at least a few reads in. The Falcons D was having their way with our O-Line in the second half, so while I wouldn't have hated it if they had thrown, I see all the reasons why not to.

thegameq

Reaction score
Pete acknowledged that he didn't to a good job and has to do better. Problem is, we've heard it before.

Let's just call it what it is: playing not to lose. Last I checked that was a big sin in the NFL and sports in general.

I think the results were indicative of both Pete's philosophy and the lack of an elite defense to execute that philosophy.

We all know it will bite this team in the ass come the playoffs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It certainly could. But, come playoff time it's a whole different ball game. This team often (like many around the league) plays to their competition. Come playoffs, I like our chances. Especially IF the play calling is on point and they let Russ be Russ, not just in the 4th quarter. I just think it's funny that if you criticize the coach, you somehow hate him and/or don't understand him. Wrong. Pete is one of the best coaches in the league. But part of being a coach is that you're going to get criticized. Shoot, he acknowledges it when the fans get mad at the team or the play calling etc. How many coaches actually admit when they do something they shouldn't have or vice versa? Very few.
Look at an idiot like Bruce Arians, he has NEVER been to blame. Guys like Arians or Mike Leech with the Cougs are incredibly overrated coaches who have zero accountability.
Pete has always been accountable, I like that about him.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3k4iq36r said:
It certainly could. But, come playoff time it's a whole different ball game. This team often (like many around the league) plays to their competition. Come playoffs, I like our chances. Especially IF the play calling is on point and they let Russ be Russ, not just in the 4th quarter.

Agreed

Latest posts