Some of you really don't understand how Pete operates

Tusc2000

Reaction score
When we go up 24-0, the opponent is no longer the other team -- it is the clock. Pete loosens the D and doesn't care if we give up 23 points. He goes conservative on O, to avoid turnovers and keep the clock moving.

The goal is to WIN, that is to win the game -- period. Not win by a landslide. Winning by 50-0 is pointless because margin of victory only means something in college football, it is irrelevant in the NFL.

Sure, we could have tackled much better, and maybe a few offensive plays could have been better disguised. But in t the end, we have a W, and that's the only thing that counts.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I just think they did not want to embarrass Dan Quinn. They definitely took the foot off the gas.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
I can't figure Pete out? Watching the Seahawks totally stresses me out at times because we just don't play 4 quarters very often.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He clearly DID let up. That doesn't make it right though. Go for the throat, period.
We are all aware of how Pete operates.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
If yesterday was the plan, why doesn’t he just fess up. He didn’t say this, he didn’t nudge -nudge -wink -wink either.

If anything, the team is less enjoyable to watch- it’s like a battered wife syndrome. Four minutes of ecstasy surrounded by 56 minutes of angst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JustTheTip

Reaction score
How about when he wastes the entire first half and then Wilson isn't quite able to bail him out in the fourth quarter? What about that case? Or how about if he goes up 24-0, backs his players off to play the clock, the other team finds their rhythm and get all the way back into the game and then he can't get his players going again because momentum is important?

While I find what occurred yesterday more tolerable than his norm, I still found the second half frustrating and not entertaining. Not because the Falcons started scoring, but because the Seahawks stopped doing what got them into a great game position to begin with because it may be a few percentage points riskier than the crap show they rolled out in the second half.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think playing Quinn had a big role in yesterday's game. Pete knows that Quinn is on the hot seat and certainly would have been fired going into the bye week if the Falcons lost 35-0 or something.

Pete does not want to be the reason his friend gets fired.

We might hate that as Seahawks fans, but I think you have to at least consider that played a part in this.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1e0lf8yy said:
They WON, breathe in, it's actually a good thing when they win.

Edit: Apparently start at time does not work for the YouTube tags, go to 1:14

[youtube]aWmkuH1k7uA[/youtube]

Edit 2: or listen to the whole song, it all really applies.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
HawkFan72":14wmzbg8 said:
I think playing Quinn had a big role in yesterday's game. Pete knows that Quinn is on the hot seat and certainly would have been fired going into the bye week if the Falcons lost 35-0 or something.

Pete does not want to be the reason his friend gets fired.

We might hate that as Seahawks fans, but I think you have to at least consider that played a part in this.

He isn't getting paid to help his friends out in games. Beyond that, he likely would have coached the second half the same anyways. My wife said at half time "you had to like that first half" and my response was "yeah but here comes the sh** show now."

OP
OP
T

Tusc2000

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3eahq21y said:
He clearly DID let up. That doesn't make it right though. Go for the throat, period.
We are all aware of how Pete operates.

Look, we just don't have the offensive firepower of a team like the Chiefs (when fully healthy), who can go full throttle all the time. We do have some extraordinary talent that can do great things in bursts.

We simply can't unleash guys like Russ and Lockett all the time and expect them to hang 50 on the board. They go ijnto blast mode when they need to. Again, the goal is to win, regardless if it's it just by 1 score.

It's true we have gotten very lucky a few times this year (the Rams' FG attempt, obviously) -- but we often get lucky. I don't think it's sheer coincidence, these guys play extremely well under pressure -- not all opponents are able to do that..

If watching this team makes some of you queasy, that is unfortunate. Frankly, I find it fantastic.

justafan

Reaction score
The first two 2nd half drives were just our oline being dominated. We embarassed them the 1st half and they didnt quit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Oh we understand how Pete operates, and we saw it in full effect yesterday..................create unnecessary close games by being too conservative with a big lead on offense, and go into prevent mode on defense.

Sure, a wins a win, we'll take it. But truthfully I wish in games like yesterday Pete would just turn the offense over to Russell in the 2nd half.

Because if this team has any hope of getting through the next stretch of super tough games? Then it needs to be confident and clicking on all cylinders, and not playing terrible 2nd halves of games looking like we're regressing on both sides of the ball.

You don't accomplish instilling confidence by taking your foot off the gas, you do it by stepping on bad team's throats. Didn't see that yesterday, or really ever with Pete.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36yyqi1h said:
Oh we understand how Pete operates, and we saw it in full effect yesterday..................create unnecessary close games by being too conservative with a big lead on offense, and go into prevent mode on defense.

Sure, a wins a win, we'll take it. But truthfully I wish in games like yesterday Pete would just turn the offense over to Russell in the 2nd half.

Because if this team has any hope of getting through the next stretch of super tough games? Then it needs to be confident and clicking on all cylinders, and not playing terrible 2nd halves of games looking like we're regressing on both sides of the ball.

You don't accomplish instilling confidence by taking your foot off the gas, you do it by stepping on bad team's throats. Didn't see that yesterday, or really ever with Pete.

Saw it for a handful of games in 2012 and then in SB48. It is difficult to regain momentum when you give it up and also the players get used to not playing a full game of football. Apparently "allways compete" doesn't mean all four quarters of a football game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree and that's cool. They don't HAVE to just go conservative. The Falcons flat out couldn't stop the passing game. Why change what is working???? It's ridiculous.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":yxshigj2 said:
We can agree to disagree and that's cool. They don't HAVE to just go conservative. The Falcons flat out couldn't stop the passing game. Why change what is working???? It's ridiculous.

If the Falcons couldn't stop the passing game, then why'd we not pass for most of the 2nd half.

Exactly what we're talking about. You're up 24-0, come out let your VERY capable elite QB to put the damn game away. But no, Pete allows bad teams to hang around.

6-2 is great, don't get me wrong. But damn we make it so hard on ourselves with Pete's conservative nature. Drives me crazy, it's a defeatest way of playing football. We got Russell against a team DYING for a reason to quit......STEP ON THEIR DAMN THROATS.

OP
OP
T

Tusc2000

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1n2qs2jj said:

It is not ridiculous. Again, when you're up 24-0, the goal is now to milk the clock. Throwing the ball not only has a higher risk of turnovers but also incompletions will stop the clock.

We are a good team, not a great team this year. But there are plenty of good teams that are 4-4 -- or worse. We're 6-2 for a reason, and if that's because we go conservative when we have a lead, so be it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
WHY is the goal to milk the clock??? They were dominating that game. There is NO excuse for going conservative when a team can't stop you. He's a hell of a coach, but at some point when does the stubborn crap get old???