Some D stats I found on SDB

mistaowen

Reaction score
Knew it was bad but didn't even realize it was this bad so far: Thanks to Cha in Seahawks Draft Blog comment section:

The defense stands dead last in total yards allowed after three games (30th in Run D, 27th in Pass D).

50% of opponent drives have ended in a score.

If you like advanced stats, the Seahawks are 30th in the NFL in Expected Points contributed by the defense.

They’re 27th in both air yards before catch and yards conceded after the catch. Translation: they can’t stop the short passing game or the deeper passing game.

Teams also averaging 38 minutes TOP versus our 23.4. Week 2 the offense shared responsibility but they had one single drive in the 3rd quarter yesterday.

A positive though: Darrell Taylor graded out at 85.1 on PFF yesterday and from the eye test has been flying around so far. Maybe they finally drafted a good player in the early rounds for once.

John63

Reaction score
mistaowen":355sy6u3 said:
Knew it was bad but didn't even realize it was this bad so far: Thanks to Cha in Seahawks Draft Blog comment section:

The defense stands dead last in total yards allowed after three games (30th in Run D, 27th in Pass D).

50% of opponent drives have ended in a score.

If you like advanced stats, the Seahawks are 30th in the NFL in Expected Points contributed by the defense.

They’re 27th in both air yards before catch and yards conceded after the catch. Translation: they can’t stop the short passing game or the deeper passing game.

Teams also averaging 38 minutes TOP versus our 23.4. Week 2 the offense shared responsibility but they had one single drive in the 3rd quarter yesterday.

A positive though: Darrell Taylor graded out at 85.1 on PFF yesterday and from the eye test has been flying around so far. Maybe they finally drafted a good player in the early rounds for once.

ahh they also only had 1 drive in the Tenn game as well and there lies the problem you come out of half in both the last 2 games and then the offense has to sit an additional 7-8 minutes, hard to have any rythmn. Then you take up 4 minutes and then sit for another 7-8 minutes.

Fade

Reaction score
They are literally not good at anything on defense statistically. But it is not a lack of talent. The scheme and coaching is just that bad.

Wagner
Adams
Brooks
Ford
Taylor
Diggs
Robinson
Mone
Dunlap
Hyder

Should not equal one of the worst defenses in the NFL. The coaches have failed, big time.

Chapow

Reaction score
This defense looks genuinely broken. The Vikings were able to do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. I'm not sure I've ever seen an NFL game before where one team had at least one receiver open by 5-10 yards almost every single play. Sure, receivers get wide open sometimes, but they were getting wide open all game long. All Cousins had to do was drop back, wait 2-3 seconds, and then throw it in the general vicinity of the guy that didn't have a defender in the same zip code. Cousins could have thrown for 500+ yards yesterday if they had wanted to, but they were content to just dominate time of possession, keep Russ on the sideline, and let their backup RB's rack up 140 rushing yards.

Literally any NFL caliber QB, even the bad ones, could absolutely shred this defense if they continue playing like they did yesterday.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
They just came out with a stat that Seahawks D doesn’t hide what they are doing pre-snap. 92% of plays Seattle ran what they shown. A college offense could destroy this D right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapow

Reaction score
HawkinNY":1wbf7h7n said:
They just came out with a stat that Seahawks D doesn’t hide what they are doing pre-snap. 92% of plays Seattle ran what they shown. A college offense could destroy this D right now.

They are beyond horrendous by NFL standards, but this is just silly. There's a massive difference between college football and NFL football. They would absolutely annihilate a college offense.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkinNY":20v8xqtc said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to disguise when you dictate, we are not playing with that kind of mentality and aggression, if you don't have it then you are a apple tree that they can pick and choose what they want.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pass defense has been terrible but the Seahawks run defense hasn't been anything to celebrate about either. They have been very poor. Taylor/Hines did well, then Henry rolled over them, and last week it was Mattison (backup rb). Lot's of improvement needs to be done around run defense too. Lucikly there are 14 more games to get it fixed. https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2021/reg/all

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont think they're nearly as bad as the stats over the first 3 games might lead one to believe. I think the misstep this season was electing to not use the preseason to put the new aspects of this defense in place. The players are learning on the job and in the first 3 weeks faced the nfl's #1 rusher and one of the league's best qbs when it comes to completion percentage. And at the same time, the confusion that is inherently part of installing new elements in a system has bred frustration.

That's why you're seeing the majority of comments from players and coaches not landing on any one specific thing that's going wrong. It's small errors here and there.

I'm not saying our system is the best. I'm as frustrated by it's predictability as anyone. But I dont think its broken by a longshot and believe we will be top 15 by season's end.

keasley45

Reaction score
If you look at a few stat categories, the hawks are keeping company with the Rams, better than the Bucaneers, and on par with the Chiefs. Now that's not to say that that makes it ok, but there're quite a few top competitors for the title this year who have gotten off to a bad start.

It's early. Doubt those teams are going into full meltdown mode.