Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He's bounced around Europe just a little, but seems to have a steady role with the Colombian national team. No injuries, maybe has just struggled in front of goal?

I think the MLS can be a good place for players that fit his mold, especially South Americans.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3flb28k9 said:
He's bounced around Europe just a little, but seems to have a steady role with the Colombian national team. No injuries, maybe has just struggled in front of goal?

I think the MLS can be a good place for players that fit his mold, especially South Americans.

I don't claim to be an expert on Ibarbo, but from reading up on him I think Altidore is a good comparison, which means he like Altidore probably struggles in technically superior leagues where defenders and mids can easily strip him of the ball.

So yeah, MLS would be a great fit IMO.

Well, let's hope Lagerway get's it done! I'd rather not wait until the summer transfer window like we did with Lodeiro, not with Dempsey being the gigantic question mark that he is.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
knownone":1l7n5z49 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1l7n5z49 said:
Tyrone Mears, Kovar and Fisher weren't at the parade.

Kovar is on trial in Scotland with Hibernian.

Make what you will about the other two.
Mears was at the parade.

Hearing conflicting stuff. Some saying he was on the trolley but not the rally. I never saw him on the trolley but I wasnt really looking for him.

I did she Lagerway glued to his phone on the troller, probably due to the expansion draft.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Think we need 1 striker brought in as a DP this year. Wouldn't want to have to bed in 2 at the end of next year when Dempseys deal is up.

Would anyone take Pappa back if he was cheap? He's a F.A and would add depth wide. At the same time i'm not sure if it was the off the field stuff that forced his departure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":b7sg7fqv said:
Think we need 1 striker brought in as a DP this year. Wouldn't want to have to bed in 2 at the end of next year when Dempseys deal is up.

Would anyone take Pappa back if he was cheap? He's a F.A and would add depth wide. At the same time i'm not sure if it was the off the field stuff that forced his departure.

Pappa's only 29, so he probably has a few good years left.........just not sure how he'd fit into this club position wise.

Maybe if we could get him for 75k? I'd throw him on the bench for depth.

No off the field issues, he was traded because the Sounder's had to make a decision to pick up his option, and it was a lot.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1paw0qld said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1paw0qld said:

Pappa's only 29, so he probably has a few good years left.........just not sure how he'd fit into this club position wise.

No off the field issues, he was traded because the Sounder's had to make a decision to pick up his option, and it was a lot.

Where's Smurf to tell us what's in the Academy/Reserves?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":h43lpomq said:
Glasgow Seahawk":h43lpomq said:

He had a DUI here and got shot while hanging out with miss Seattle?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3aqfmko1 said:
Sgt. Largent":3aqfmko1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3aqfmko1 said:

He had a DUI here and got shot while hanging out with miss Seattle?

I know, just telling you what the "official" team statement was at the time. I think they had to pick up a 120k option or something like that, so they declined and traded him.

I'm sure the off the field issues didn't help for sure.........but his skills were declining. So I guess apply whatever percentage you want between contract/performance and off field issues.

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":b7gprdho said:
Uncle Si":b7gprdho said:

I don't claim to be an expert on Ibarbo, but from reading up on him I think Altidore is a good comparison, which means he like Altidore probably struggles in technically superior leagues where defenders and mids can easily strip him of the ball.

Well, let's hope Lagerway get's it done! I'd rather not wait until the summer transfer window like we did with Lodeiro, not with Dempsey being the gigantic question mark that he is.
I saw a decent amount of Ibarbo when he was with Roma, and OMG was he frustrating to watch. His game is nothing like Altidore, and he's actually pretty technically sound and not out of his element in more technical leagues. He's built more in the vein of Gareth Bale, he's big, he's strong, and if signed tomorrow he's probably the fastest guy in MLS. Seriously, If you are amazed at how fast and strong Jordan Morris is... this dude will blow your mind.

So if the rumor is true we should be excited right? I'm not so sure, he's the most maddeningly inconsistent player I've ever seen, much in the same way Marco Pappa was for the Sounders, some days he'd look like the best player on the field, other days you wonder if he's even on the field. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play since then, and maybe he's evolved as a player. IMO this would be a much riskier move than Lodeiro, while still having potentially more upside Lodeiro because we've seen players with a similar skill set absolutely dominate in this league.

I will say this, he certainly fits the mold Seattle should be looking for on the wing.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3vxzlpiw said:
Sgt. Largent":3vxzlpiw said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3vxzlpiw said:

Where's Smurf to tell us what's in the Academy/Reserves?

There are a lot of aging MLS lifers out there that could fit. Pappa is one, but I doubt it. He'd have to take a paycut from the 200k he was making.

Similarly, Sebastian Le Toux could fill the Herc Gomez role, if he takes a paycut form his 300k role.

As for the youth side of things, here's what I got:

Zach Mathers - Draft pick last year. Played well with S2 last year. 24 appearances, 4 goals, 4 assists.

Mark O'Ojong is a talented midfielder/defender. He's only 18. Has pace. He's likely not quite ready for first team football. He played a bunch for S2 in a holding role.

Myron Samuel is a slightly less developed Oalex Anderson. He had injury struggles with S2. He's already 23 though. If he doesn't make a shot at the first team soon, it might be too late.

Jordan Schweitzer had a ton of promise, and was an academy kid...however he just signed with a USL team in Orlando.

Another one is Nouhou Tolo, 18 year old defender. He played a lot at outside back. He really quick, but not the most technical player.

I haven't payed a lot of attention to the academy scene as of late, so I don't have a bunch of information right now. There are a handful of names I'm more familiar with than others, but i'm not sure any are ready to make the jump to HGP the way that Morris, Jones, Mansaray, Kovar, and Okoli were. Maybe Handwalla Bwana (fwd), but he's just coming off his freshman season at UW.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":12fvfgkh said:
Sgt. Largent":12fvfgkh said:
Uncle Si":12fvfgkh said:

I saw a decent amount of Ibarbo when he was with Roma, and OMG was he frustrating to watch. His game is nothing like Altidore, and he's actually pretty technically sound and not out of his element in more technical leagues. He's built more in the vein of Gareth Bale, he's big, he's strong, and if signed tomorrow he's probably the fastest guy in MLS. Seriously, If you are amazed at how fast and strong Jordan Morris is... this dude will blow your mind.

So if the rumor is true we should be excited right? I'm not so sure, he's the most maddeningly inconsistent player I've ever seen, much in the same way Marco Pappa was for the Sounders, some days he'd look like the best player on the field, other days you wonder if he's even on the field. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play since then, and maybe he's evolved as a player. IMO this would be a much riskier move than Lodeiro, while still having potentially more upside Lodeiro because we've seen players with a similar skill set absolutely dominate in this league.

I will say this, he certainly fits the mold Seattle should be looking for on the wing.

I think the MLS should be excited to have a player like him. Not just the Sounders

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":15wmq3d8 said:

Nice, thanks for the breakdown on Ibarbo. Sounds like you're high on him, so why was he frustrating to watch?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jp3mlom said:
Nice, thanks for the breakdown on Ibarbo. Sounds like you're high on him, so why was he frustrating to watch?

Look at his goal production...

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2qaz6m6h said:
knownone":2qaz6m6h said:

I wouldn't say I'm high on him, but I wouldn't be upset if Seattle brought him in. He has the physical ability to be a dominant force, he's just not consistent. He'll get dispossessed a lot. His decision making and awareness are similar to Jordan Morris early on in the year. He'll pass when he should shoot, or shoot when he's got an easy assist... and the thing is, he's got skill, he's a hard worker, but for whatever reason, it just never seems to translate consistently.

He's one of those guys that flashes immediately on TV, kind of like a Ronaldo or Bale. I think that's what makes it so frustrating. Look at his fricken highlight video! how does a guy with that ability score 20 goals in 200+ games, it's insane... and that's what watching him at Roma was like.

With that said, I don't know if there is a team in MLS that could deal with the pace and skill of Jordan Morris and Ibarbo creating space for Lodeiro and Dempsey. On paper that looks like the attacking 4 of a low to mid-table Ligue 1 team, and given Lodeiro's emergence as a dominant force this season it might be a good thing to gamble on a game breaking monster whose been inconsistent playing at the highest level.

Personally, I'd rather we go after another Lodeiro type player. Maybe make another run at Tjaronn Chery. Someone who can play wide and score goals while having the play making the ability to replace Lodeiro if needed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":3ov6dot7 said:
Personally, I'd rather we go after another Lodeiro type player. Maybe make another run at Tjaronn Chery. Someone who can play wide and score goals while having the play making the ability to replace Lodeiro if needed.

I'm OK with either, as long as goal scoring is their primary purpose.

I have a feeling Morris isn't going to be her much longer, another season like last year and some Euro club is going to snatch him up........and we can't depend on Dempsey.

Smurf

Reaction score
LB Dylan Remick is heading to Houston.

GK Bryon Meredith is heading back to Seattle.

Both Via the Re-entry draft earlier today.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hope Meredith never has to play for the first team again. He was absolutely awful against portland and everyone else. Still scarred.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Low risk, high upside signing. He looked pretty good in a bad Chicago team and seems to have been a bad fit at Montreal. Hopefully can get his confidence up here and be a good player for the Sounders. Think he can play all over midfield which may mean Friberg or Ivanschitz lose their spot.