Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":31eva3uc said:
Or for that matter, what sport can you see a player of Messi's size being drawn to? Just because Lebron is 6'10 doesn't mean the ball at his feet is going to do anything. He may be fast, but i'd suggest a massive handful of modern footballers are much faster.

What I'm talking about is specifically American.

Here are the facts when it comes to sports and the US, we dominate at the sports we dedicate time, money and athletic resources to.

If we had the history, development and resources dedicated to being a soccer nation first? Then it would be the same. The reason the most affluent nation of 320 million in the world is #31 in the FIFA rankings behind smaller less affluent countries is because our best athletes do not play soccer, they just don't.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23ntg6iw said:
Uncle Si":23ntg6iw said:
Or for that matter, what sport can you see a player of Messi's size being drawn to? Just because Lebron is 6'10 doesn't mean the ball at his feet is going to do anything. He may be fast, but i'd suggest a massive handful of modern footballers are much faster.

What I'm talking about is specifically American.

Here are the facts when it comes to sports and the US, we dominate at the sports we dedicate time, money and athletic resources to.

If we had the history, development and resources dedicated to being a soccer nation first? Then it would be the same. The reason the most affluent nation of 320 million in the world is #31 in the FIFA rankings behind smaller less affluent countries is because our best athletes do not play soccer, they just don't.

That's an extremely large assumption. Its not only assuming that if our best athletes played soccer we would have any idea how to train them to do it properly. (the development of the coaching in this country is vast and rapidly progressing) It also assumes (wrongly) that the Messi's, Rooney's, Ronaldo's, Ibra's, Suarez' of the world are those nations best athletes (they are not, if your definition of best athlete involves someone who plays RB in the NFL or PG in the NBA).

It also wrongly suggests that we dominate at all other sports. We don't. We dominate at football, because it's ours. No other nation has anything more than a fledgeling dedication to the sport. Imagine our NFL players going at New Zealand or England in Rugby. It would be far more competitive. We may have the dominant all- star team in terms of basketball, but the amount of world class Euro and South American NBA players is on the rise, as is the overall talent of those international squads. Baseball? Hockey? Are we really dominant?

The amount of money, time and resources spent to soccer is far more than you're giving it credit as well. Mistaking the amount of money spent in the NFL as testament to the amount spent in development of players is a large reach. In truth, soccer may have the largest and most structured youth development system of any of the 5 sports. More kids play soccer before 8th grade than any of the other 4 sports.. combined. Why do kids move on? Lots of reasons. Most just don't like playing when they get older.

We can dream about Richard Sherman playing wing back, or Lebron playing center back, maybe Adrian Peterson as a center mid. The truth is, there is a reason they play the sports they do, and its not because the money is there. Some of it is induction into other sports based on their upbringing. Some of it is because physically the sport does not appeal to them. Why are there not 7 foot soccer players in international football? (ever watch Peter Crouch) Why are their not bullish power runners harassing Messi in Germany's midfield? Its not as if those types of athletes do not exist in those countries.

It's a fool's dream. An American excuse. American soccer, despite never producing a world class player, is one of the most consistent international entities in the World Cup. It does not lack athletes (on the contrary, the program is known for its exceptional athletic ability and fitness over other international teams who fair better). It lacks intricacy. It lacks coaching.

Most of all, it lacks the ability to identify the kids who can become stars. Read up on the backgrounds of Rooney, Suarez, Ibra, Messi, or just about 8 out of 11 of every professional footballer at a high level. As kids they played. They played every day. They played in streets, alleys, on dirt, with bags filled with grass, no shoes. They grew up impoverished.

Sound familiar? Not many NBA players grew up on a military base like Kobe. Most hit the pavement everyday as an outlet. The DAs are trying to find these kids in America. Its one of the reasons they are in Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas, LA.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":zuzu1vpp said:
Uncle Si":zuzu1vpp said:
It sounds like the roster needs a reboot.

I think hiring Lagerwey is a signal that a reboot is coming over the next couple of years.

Our roster got old in a hurry, can't continue to trot out Pineda, Pappa, Evans, Gonzo, Scott, add an old Mears to the already aged starting lineup..............and our best bench players are Barrett and Cooper? Not good.

The Sounders have always prided themselves in scouting young international talent and always having at least one or two exciting young up and coming players. Montero, Flaco, Ozzie, Yedlin........and I don't see ANY of that anymore. Which again, may have contributed to Lagerwey's hiring.

My worst fear is for my Sounders to become just another old MLS teams stocked full of over the hill vets sprinkled in with a couple DP's.

The way we acquire players has fundamentally changed. We are looking more towards building and growing whats already here than bringing in players form other countries.

I think thats been fairly evident by the pure number of Homegrown signings we've had in the past 3 years.

Yedlin, Kovar, Okoli, Jones, Mansaray, and soon Jordan Morris. 5 players in 3 years is a pretty decent rate for a program that is so new.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2qe4z0oe said:
Sgt. Largent":2qe4z0oe said:
Uncle Si":2qe4z0oe said:
It sounds like the roster needs a reboot.

I think hiring Lagerwey is a signal that a reboot is coming over the next couple of years.

Our roster got old in a hurry, can't continue to trot out Pineda, Pappa, Evans, Gonzo, Scott, add an old Mears to the already aged starting lineup..............and our best bench players are Barrett and Cooper? Not good.

The Sounders have always prided themselves in scouting young international talent and always having at least one or two exciting young up and coming players. Montero, Flaco, Ozzie, Yedlin........and I don't see ANY of that anymore. Which again, may have contributed to Lagerwey's hiring.

My worst fear is for my Sounders to become just another old MLS teams stocked full of over the hill vets sprinkled in with a couple DP's.

The way we acquire players has fundamentally changed. We are looking more towards building and growing whats already here than bringing in players form other countries.

I think thats been fairly evident by the pure number of Homegrown signings we've had in the past 3 years.

Yedlin, Kovar, Okoli, Jones, Mansaray, and soon Jordan Morris. 5 players in 3 years is a pretty decent rate for a program that is so new.

I would counter that in two ways:

5 homegrown players is not that many over 3 years if the Sounders are using the academy to supplement space on the roster (meaning it is part of their philosophy). Liverpool use their academy. Chelsea's academy is also fantastic, but rarely do those players make the first team. Its not part of Chelsea's philosophy in building the first team.

How many of these players are set to make a first team impact? Yedlin, of course, was special. Now a PL player and part of the regular USMNT. Do you see the others as becoming primary first 11 options?

It seems based on what Sgt. said that they may have to be.

Also, as a side, the development of soccer players in the state has always been rich. That will help the Academy quite a bit.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":f4ilvt17 said:
So, what are everyone's plans this weekend since we won't be watching MLS?

Full slate of European league games, including some massive games in England

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
What happens to USMNT if players strike? will USMNT still be able to play?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3npf8r5o said:
What happens to USMNT if players strike? will USMNT still be able to play?

Yes, of course.

Completely different entity.

Seabhac

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":fexj6cfz said:
Seabhac":fexj6cfz said:
FA Cup Quarter Finals

This. i never watch MLS anyway because it's shite.

Do you live in the USA? I have Sounders Season tickets. Someone has to help the ECS sing in tune....

Seabhac

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3d211kry said:
Seabhac":3d211kry said:
peachesenregalia":3d211kry said:
Seabhac":3d211kry said:
FA Cup Quarter Finals

Do you live in the USA? I have Sounders Season tickets. Someone has to help the ECS sing in tune....

Aye, I do, Aye. I've tried getting into MLS several times, but to no avail. The quality of the football is just too poor for what is supposedly the country's top league.

I support it because I want to see it improve - and the match day atmosphere at Century link is pretty decent.
It's improving but has a long way to go.

That being said - its better than League of Ireland, and probably SPL at this point. The level of play is probably at English Championship level and improving.

Smurf

Reaction score
CBA reached. We are playing this weekend. Get your game faces on.

Some things I'm hearing about the CBA:

5 or 7 Year deal
Minimum Salary up from 42k to 60k
Some form of Free Agency for "Veteran players"

As we get more details I'll provide them .

Seabhac

Reaction score
Smurf":34z9htfq said:

5 or 7 Year deal

Good news - Looking forward to it.

Smurf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2g98sndl said:
Seabhac":2g98sndl said:
peachesenregalia":2g98sndl said:
Seabhac":2g98sndl said:
FA Cup Quarter Finals

Aye, I do, Aye. I've tried getting into MLS several times, but to no avail. The quality of the football is just too poor for what is supposedly the country's top league.

It helps having an emotional attachment.

You'd still enjoy watching your Liverpool games even if they played in the 5th Division. You aren't a Liverpool Supporter because they are the mighty Liverpool...you are a Liverpool Supporter because of something larger than that. You love that club. Not because they are the best club in the world, but because you love them.

When you love it, the quality isn't at the forefront of your mind. You just want your club to win.

Is MLS the best? No. Its not. It won't be in the convo for a another 15-20 years (especially with this new CBA). But damn is it a fun league to follow if you are vested in it.

The problem for the league is getting football fans (such as yourself) to becoming vested in the league. Why should you watch the league? Do we have the best players? No. Is there a club located near you? IIRC, you are in OK...so no...is it easy to follow on a national level? No.

I get why you can't get into it, and I don't fault you for it. You are the type of person this league is trying to capture. You are the long term goal.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if Seattle Sounders FC was not a team within the MLS, my interest in the league itself would decrease by at least 60%. I love that club. That club is part of who I am. 10 years ago I called MLS a joke. Going into the 2006 world cup I was going to root on my national team...but damn if I was going to watch an MLS game...it was just crap compared to watching just about any other league in the world...

...but at the same point....if you look back at where this league was 10 years ago...and look at where it is at now....the growth is incredible....and will only keep growing...and that excites me...and I'd think as a football fan that would somewhat excite you too. The product may not be top class. I'm not going to say it is...but its better each year. The progress is visible and its undeniable.

I suppose its possible I am different than you...I like when I look at other leagues in the world and see its growth...I like seeing Australia launching a second division (2013)...I like the growth I see from the India leagues...That excites me...

If you put football on my TV...I'm going to watch it, and I'm going to find something about the game I enjoy. It might be a 5 minute passing sequence, a song sung by the crowd, a delightful touch, or a stiff tackle.

I love the game of football.

I love Seattle Sounders Football Club.

I love the United States National Team.

and I will do my best to help the sport grow in this country.

Smurf

Reaction score
Seabhac":2y7joed5 said:
Smurf":2y7joed5 said:

5 or 7 Year deal

Good news - Looking forward to it.

You heading to the match Sunday evening?

Smurf

Reaction score
CBA Update:

Free Agency = 28/8

You reach Full FA at age 28, having served 8 years in the league.

Smurf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":35ctz4c4 said:
That's a fair say, Rob. I enjoy going to watch the Tulsa Athletics, they're a 4th-tier team here. Good fun, local lads playing their hearts out.

MLS just doesn't do anything for me.

Don't you hate it when I'm right?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3rancjtw said:
That's a fair say, Rob. I enjoy going to watch the Tulsa Athletics, they're a 4th-tier team here. Good fun, local lads playing their hearts out.

MLS just doesn't do anything for me.

If you hate MLS so much why do you post here? Go post in the Premiere league thread or the other league threads around this forum.

And plus Americans want a US soccer league, so MLS is the top quality league in the US, in my opinion. It'll get better in the next several years.