Seattle Mariners vs Chicago White Sox Sep 5-7

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
White Sox are a better team than their record indicates. They were suppose to be a WS contender before the season began.

Didn’t see the game today, but looks like the pitching staff had a bad game. It happens.

Last I checked we are still close to 20 games over .500 and in a great position for not only the WC, but a home playoff series.

If we can make it through the Braves and Padres then it’s all scrubby teams until the end of the season.

Im giving this series a pass. The first game was a quick turnaround. If Mitch holds onto that ball we win the second game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
These last 2 losses may come back to bite Seattle when it comes to getting any home playoff games. Hope I’m wrong about that.

TIMD

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. So if 13-8 over 21 games played is their "real number", then if they had played to their "real number" back in April and May, they would have a much better record now? Or does it not work both ways?
The Mariners are a .500 team. They had 2 large winning streaks. When watching these games, especially at HOME where they ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SCORE, what jumps out & says "this is a legit World Series contender"?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Mariners are a .500 team. They had 2 large winning streaks. When watching these games, especially at HOME where they ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SCORE, what jumps out & says "this is a legit World Series contender"?
How are they a .500 team? They are literally 17 games over .500. If you want to take away their best winning streaks, then you need to take away those awful runs they had to start the season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
17 games over .500 and they are somehow a .500 team. They booted the ball around and handed the game away. That is EXTREMELY RARE for this team. Suck it up Timd.
You sound like yet another whining "fan" every time the team loses. Maybe go pull for another team? News flash: Teams give away games, it happens. Nothing worse than a fan who vanishes when they win, then comes in to pounce when they lose a game. How quickly you forget the SEVERAL huge wins they have pulled out at the end of the game. But let me guess, that was lucky? And then to double down and say "if you take away x winning streak, they suck"
This take is so dumb it's actually hilarious. Thanks for the morning laugh. If they take 2 of 3 from the World Champs, you'll probably play that down too. Just like being 17 over .500 is "mediocre"

They absolutely cannot score? You mean like the 6 runs they scored yesterday? Nobody is claiming the offense isn't an issue, it is.
But the pitching is top 5 in baseball, and they have been the best defensive team in the league, period. They had a bad game yesterday. Crap happens, stop making stuff up and pull for your team.
IF they're your team. Which I doubt.

Last edited:

Hawker

Reaction score
WhiteSox are WAY better than their record would indicate. I think that point was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I will reiterate. They were predicted to contend not only for their division, but for a potential World Series berth, at the beginning of the season

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, def. a good team. And they were the better team in that series. It happens. You get ready for the next game. That's the great thing about baseball, there's always tomorrow. Well, unless there's a day off, but you get the point :)

Chapow

Reaction score
The Mariners are a .500 team.

Incorrect. They are a 17 games over .500 team.

They had 2 large winning streaks.

Correct. And those winning streaks count towards their record exactly the same as when they had some very poor stretches of games earlier in the season.

When watching these games, especially at HOME where they ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SCORE, what jumps out & says "this is a legit World Series contender"?

Who said anything about being legit World Series contenders? Certainly not me. I think the M's are pretty much what their record says they are. A team that is clearly not as good as the top 2 teams in the AL, but is right there in that next tier with the Blue Jays and Rays. Their pitching is top 5 in all of MLB and their defense is best in all of MLB. However, they are in the bottom half of the league (and pretty close to bottom third) in most offensive categories. They look like a wild card team to me, which is pretty much what their record says they are.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Winning streaks only count for OTHER teams. The White Sox are a good team, but they also got a LOT of lucky breaks yesterday. It's baseball, sometimes you get those lucky hits and/or your opponent booting the ball around.
NOBODY is saying they are World Series bound, nobody. But they are a legit playoff contender. Why not enjoy that? But hey, fan how you want. It's just plain odd how some almost enjoy losing so they pump their chests out. See, I told you!!! What a waste.

ivotuk

Reaction score
3 Errors by our Defense. The best Defense in MLB. Upsets me, but I see it as an aberration only.

Also, Scott was resting a lot of people yesterday. 1 error came from Casali, a backup, another from JP which baffles me, and the third from a Pitcher. That's the game loss right there.

And in any sport, I always prefer they make their blunders before the Playoffs. It sharpens them up ahead of time.

Haniger and Julio collide and ball goes over the fence: "Next time let's do this." etc.

TIMD

Reaction score
Winning streaks only count for OTHER teams. The White Sox are a good team, but they also got a LOT of lucky breaks yesterday. It's baseball, sometimes you get those lucky hits and/or your opponent booting the ball around.
NOBODY is saying they are World Series bound, nobody. But they are a legit playoff contender. Why not enjoy that? But hey, fan how you want. It's just plain odd how some almost enjoy losing so they pump their chests out. See, I told you!!! What a waste.
So you just admitted it. You're content with a team that ISNT a World Series contender. Well I'm not. This is the only franchise left after over 100 years that has NOT made it to a WS. That's ridiculous. I'm not content with just "making the playoffs", especially If means sneaking in with anything less than the First Wildcard. With the expanded playoffs, who cares if they end their 20 year streak with the prestigious Third Wild Card. I'm not satisfied with every other team winning the WS while we sit back looking stupid. And then every off season relying on bums like Kyle Lewis & Kelenic to save the day. This ownership group is always coming up a player or two short, especially on offense. Remember we have a GM who is so petty, he will trade away players for less than pennies on the dollar simply over some personal nonsense. Mark Trumbo AND another player for Steve Clevenger. This is not exactly the guy I trust to lead us to the WS.