Seahawks Rivals Grades on Jamal Adams trade? A from Big D

Jac

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":uuxjy4ei said:
While it is possible that another coach might want to coach a team with a great QB like Wilson, the rest of the roster seems a setup for failure for anyone else. I doubt the Seahawks will be as exciting an opportunity for a great HC as we would hope.

I think Wilson makes the Seahawks a super attractive job for an offensive-minded head coach. His obvious clutch playmaking ability is complemented by how coachable and how much of a team player he's been. One of the reasons why new coaches fail is that those teams never solve for the QB position (either talent acquisition and/or properly developing)...so they're sunk even before taking the field. Rosters get refreshed so quickly that I doubt existing talent outside of Wilson factors much into the calculus.

A new coach also has the ability to unveil a pass-heavy template for Wilson, so they'd have an opportunity to bring that level of freshness to the franchise as well. And further, the existing talent for that pass template includes Metcalf, who could be a true game changing #1. I think it could be a really attractive job opportunity.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jac":2ledy2ce said:
TwistedHusky":2ledy2ce said:
While it is possible that another coach might want to coach a team with a great QB like Wilson, the rest of the roster seems a setup for failure for anyone else. I doubt the Seahawks will be as exciting an opportunity for a great HC as we would hope.

I think Wilson makes the Seahawks a super attractive job for an offensive-minded head coach. His obvious clutch playmaking ability is complemented by how coachable and how much of a team player he's been. One of the reasons why new coaches fail is that those teams never solve for the QB position (either talent acquisition and/or properly developing)...so they're sunk even before taking the field. Rosters get refreshed so quickly that I doubt existing talent outside of Wilson factors much into the calculus.

A new coach also has the ability to unveil a pass-heavy template for Wilson, so they'd have an opportunity to bring that level of freshness to the franchise as well. And further, the existing talent for that pass template includes Metcalf, who could be a true game changing #1. I think it could be a really attractive job opportunity.

New Coach and probably GM at the same time and Wilson is traded, he will been in the league approaching 14 or 15 years and a full rebuild will be happening in the new Coaches eyes and scheme.

Jac

Reaction score
chris98251":ve3qgkq8 said:
Jac":ve3qgkq8 said:
TwistedHusky":ve3qgkq8 said:

New Coach and probably GM at the same time and Wilson is traded, he will been in the league approaching 14 or 15 years and a full rebuild will be happening in the new Coaches eyes and scheme.

You're right. Maybe because I was thinking of the attractiveness of the current roster to a prospective new coach, I had it in my head that the transition would be sooner than later. If Carroll is here for another 4 years, it certainly lessens the value of Wilson as an obvious reason to take on the job.

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":1ds9n4ia said:
knownone":1ds9n4ia said:
you are looking at (talent wise) a legitimate top 3 team in the NFL.

Secondary top 5
Linebackers -probably the best
Defensive line- not in top 10
Offensive line- probably not in top 25
Receivers- Not in top 15
Tight Ends- not in top 10
Quarterback - QB2
Running Backs - top 10

Top 3? Really? I think that is ambitious. You guys are good because RW3 is awesome and that is the most important position, but top 3 talent?

Receivers not in the top 15? Really? With Lockett and Metcalf?

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":13bvhagk said:
I can only speak for myself, but I think its was too much in compensation. I feel kinda like I did after the Harvin trade, but I think Adams is a far better player.

As a Niner fan, I hate that Adams is a Seahawk. Dude is freakishly talented. He'll be all over the place and will have an impact on the run D and pass D. I say this because I don't want to minimize how good a player he is. He's be REALLY good and at an impact position in that Seattle D and he'll make a difference against scrambling QBs like in Arizona and against TEs like Kittle. I would love to have seen SF pull the trigger there...

...but not at that price. 2 1s and a 3 for the player and a 4 is still a HUGE price...especially since you'll still have to pay him next year when the cap will likely shrink.

I hear the argument that the Seahawks 1s haven't been great lately and the picks will likely be in the late 20s at best (best for the Jets that is), but if your plan is to just trade away 1s because you don't draft well then you have a larger problem. 1st round picks are still 1st round picks. They represent the ability to get a good player and hold him for 4+ years on small contracts.

The 49ers could have kept Buckner at 20 mil+ per year but traded him for a 1st and got Kinlaw in the building for 4 years at a MUCH, MUCH lower number. History will tell if that was a good move or not, but it just illustrates the difference in the way the teams are looking at this.

Now it could be that Adams makes a HUGE difference and tips the balance in the NFC West. I can't say that won't happen and if it does it may well have been worth it, but for me I wouldn't have been happy if the Niners had paid that price. A few years ago, if they'd made the trade for Khalil Mack (and they offered more than the Bears did), they wouldn't right now have Nick Bosa or possibly Brandon Aiyuk.

Its gonna suck to play against Bobby Wagner and Jamal Adams patrolling the middle of the field, but WOW. That's a big price tag.

Not a big price tag when the Seahawks go 15-1 this year. If he could be a baller on the Jets, then by virtue of going to Seattle we're going to see a safety the league has never seen before.

As for the Niners, let's face it, if they got Adams it would have been too big a price. And them not getting Adams is also a failure on their part.

This is what happens when you hire a former safety to run your team. Can only hope for the best.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":2hwby19k said:
94Smith":2hwby19k said:
knownone":2hwby19k said:

Secondary top 5
Receivers- Not in top 15
Quarterback - QB2
Running Backs - top 10

Top 3? Really? I think that is ambitious. You guys are good because RW3 is awesome and that is the most important position, but top 3 talent?

I think he pegged the defense well, but the offense got it all wrong.

Receivers definitely top 10. Lockett is underrated for real. DK Metcalf route 9 extraordinaire works great with Wilson when that guy Chris Matthews could make plays too. The loss of the angry one was felt somewhat but mitigated by others.

Tight Ends not in the top 10? WTF. I got Dissly as #1 over Kelce/Ertz/etc, Hollister likely cracks top 10 too. Wiilson is still very solid.

Quarterback - QB2 as in 2nd best in the league? Ok, that's probably fair. I think Mahomes is slightly overrated too, but I'm in the minority on that one.

RBs is very fair........you get Carson and Penny back, and Hyde.......I mean I know Hyde was just a Niner, but he did have that fluke long run against the LOB his rookie year at Century Link. A poor man's Ezekiel Elliott is still a decent back, esp. in rotation.

NINEster

Reaction score
94Smith":2ri8o251 said:
knownone":2ri8o251 said:

Secondary top 5
Receivers- Not in top 15
Quarterback - QB2
Running Backs - top 10

I wish the Niners had top 3 talent, even without a QB.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
NINEster":2fvfxfd7 said:
This is what happens (paying the necessary price for SS Jamal Adams) when you hire a former safety to run your team. Can only hope for the best.

Dude! What a bitchin excellent observation!! (Seriously!) And I'm impressed that you knew this tidbit. I'd forgotten about it.

Yes Carroll was like a 2nd string safety in his college career. So he absolutely would view the defense from a safety's point of view. So Carroll looked at what his defense could be with a FREAK like Adams roving around the secondary, and had to try not to hyperventilate just thinking about it.

TAB420

Reaction score
With most college teams not playing this year, the draft will be a shite show. The timing of events just made this trade even better for Seattle...lol

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Oh look, a Niner fan trying to talk down the Hawks getting one of the best players in football. The same 49ers who paid Jimmy choke job 28 mil a year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":rkdty8wo said:
Oh look, a Niner fan trying to talk down the Hawks getting one of the best players in football. The same 49ers who paid Jimmy choke job 28 mil a year.

LOL.

Please. I didn't talk down the player. At all. I'll hate facing him and if I were a Seahawks fan I'd be excited to see him...

...but come on. You can't tell me that at least at some level the price (draft picks) didn't make you pause a bit.

If the 49ers had made the EXACT same trade, you'd have said the EXACT same thing I did.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":23pifa3x said:
SoulfishHawk":23pifa3x said:

LOL.

Please. I didn't talk down the player. At all. I'll hate facing him and if I were a Seahawks fan I'd be excited to see him...

...but come on. You can't tell me that at least at some level the price (draft picks) didn't make you pause a bit.

If the 49ers had made the EXACT same trade, you'd have said the EXACT same thing I did.

Pause yes, but then step back and look at the National situation and the future of the draft for a couple year till things get worked out and a vaccine is proven and distributed.

I suspect Free Agents and trades will be the build mode for two or three years with Cap manipulation being very important.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
At first, hell yes. But after taking the time to really look at it, that's the price you pay for a game changer like Adams.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1k8avz3m said:
At first, hell yes. But after taking the time to really look at it, that's the price you pay for a game changer like Adams.

That's fair...but I can't shake thinking that you wouldn't make the "really looking at it" step if you didn't want to justify it on some level.

I made similar comments after the Graham and Harvin trades and got similar reaction.

The different here though is that I think Adams is FAR superior to either of those players. If he stays healthy, there is no question he's a difference maker.

While I can't completely reject my own fandom for having the opinion I do, I can say that I'd have this reaction if ANY team had made that trade, including SF. I do, however, tend to put ALOT of value in my opinions on draft picks. I HATE giving them up. I hate that the Niners still owe Washington a 3 for Trent Williams...tho not that hard to justify it.

I think tho that the biggest factor is the history of trades for 2 1st round picks. It isn't great.

http://www.footballperspective.com/trad ... -a-player/

I also don't default to disliking all Seahawk trades. I thought the Clowney deal was fantastic for Seattle last year. Those are the trades I like. Get value when the player has the team over a barrel. I thought Adams had the Jets in that spot, which was one reason the compensation seemed exorbitant to me.

That said, if I were a Seahawk fan I'd be counting the days before I could see him on the field in that D. I kinda think SF signing Jordan Reed was partially a counter to Adams deal (and I only say partially because there were rumors of them looking at Reed and Delanie Walker long before the Adams deal). I'm just curious when/if Seattle addresses the pass rush.

94Smith

Reaction score
NINEster":2ab2i7ql said:
Maulbert":2ab2i7ql said:
94Smith":2ab2i7ql said:
knownone":2ab2i7ql said:

Secondary top 5
Receivers- Not in top 15
Quarterback - QB2
Running Backs - top 10

but the offense got it all wrong.

Receivers definitely top 10. Lockett is underrated for real. DK Metcalf route 9 extraordinaire works great with Wilson when that guy Chris Matthews could make plays too. The loss of the angry one was felt somewhat but mitigated by others.

Tight Ends not in the top 10? WTF. I got Dissly as #1 over Kelce/Ertz/etc, Hollister likely cracks top 10 too. Wiilson is still very solid.

Wide receivers and Tight Ends --------> https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nfl-season-receiving-corps-rankings

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":f5dy9gqw said:
NINEster":f5dy9gqw said:
Maulbert":f5dy9gqw said:
94Smith":f5dy9gqw said:
Secondary top 5
Receivers- Not in top 15
Quarterback - QB2
Running Backs - top 10

Wide receivers and Tight Ends --------> https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nfl-season-receiving-corps-rankings

I would say both Seattle and S.F are harder to rank and under valued because both team spread the ball all over, that article doesn't include Olsen and Parkinson nor Gordon possibly coming back or Dorsett.

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":e8jfx2zx said:
NINEster":e8jfx2zx said:
Maulbert":e8jfx2zx said:
94Smith":e8jfx2zx said:
Secondary top 5
Receivers- Not in top 15
Quarterback - QB2
Running Backs - top 10

Look, I'm not claiming they're top 5, or even top 10. After Metcalf, we've got a bunch of nobodies, unless we bring back Gordon (AB is pipe dream. No sense wasting thought on something that won't happen.). However, despite the desire to avoid saying anything in line with WHINEster's cringeworthy troll attempts, the fact is Lockett might well BE the most underrated receiver in football, and he and Metcalf are a hell of a tandem. I easily believe those 2 guys elevate this receiver's room into the league's upper half, PFF be damned.

TAB420

Reaction score
94Smith":1ebfiti3 said:
NINEster":1ebfiti3 said:
Maulbert":1ebfiti3 said:
94Smith":1ebfiti3 said:
Secondary top 5
Receivers- Not in top 15
Quarterback - QB2
Running Backs - top 10

What a joke. Yet NFL had Wilson and Lockett as the #1 QB to WR threat.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":1ac1ug8m said:
94Smith":1ac1ug8m said:
NINEster":1ac1ug8m said:
Maulbert":1ac1ug8m said:

Look, I'm not claiming they're top 5, or even top 10. After Metcalf, we've got a bunch of nobodies, unless we bring back Gordon (AB is pipe dream. No sense wasting thought on something that won't happen.). However, despite the desire to avoid saying anything in line with WHINEster's cringeworthy troll attempts, the fact is Lockett might well BE the most underrated receiver in football, and he and Metcalf are a hell of a tandem. I easily believe those 2 guys elevate this receiver's room into the league's upper half, PFF be damned.

Honestly, I don't get caught up in rankings like that. Its all subjective and way too dependant on the system, QB, O-Line, etc.

Example: George Kittle is one of my favorite players and has ridiculous RAC yards...in fact I believe second only to McCaffrey in the NFL (don't quote me....that's from memory). He would likely be good in ANY offense, but would he ranked so high if he weren't in an offense that put him in position to be in space and run after the catch so much?

Another Example: I'm not really a fan of Metcalf because I think he's kinda deep threat or nothing type guy (just my opinion). However, when Wilson is your QB, that's a pretty damn good skillset to have. Deebo Samuel wouldn't be nearly as good in that offense, but Deebo is fantastic in Shanahans offense where he gets RAC and takes handoffs.

So yeah....WAY, WAY too subjective to do any rankings. The only think I'd say you can rank is how well a corps matches the offense they are in.