Seahawks RB Chris Carson retiring after five seasons due to neck injury

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
The neck injury that torpedoed the 2021 season for Seattle Seahawks running back Chris Carson will end his career.

Reported Tuesday that Carson has decided to retire due to the injury, per a source informed of the situation.

The decision comes after the running back failed his physical. The team will release him with a failed physical designation, which allows the RB to receive injury protection benefits.
The 27-year-old played in just four games last season before being sidelined by the injury.

Chris Carson Retires - NFL.com
Chris...rest well...thanks for all the memories and hard play.

Last edited:

hinton

Reaction score
Carson was a helluva RB. Gutted to see him retire though injury even though it came as no surprise.

W

Welshers

Love the dude. Knew this was coming but I certainly hope he's been fairly compensated got the damage he's done to his body.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Best wishes to Chris Carson. He is smart to retire. When he played, he brought a "Beastmode like" toughness and was a personal favorite player. The team will miss him.

But going forward, our running backs do not have that "tough guy" that will wear down a defense physically and mentally. In "Pete-Ball" the running back is like a boxer...delivering blows to the body of the defense that take their toll over the course of a game. I hope that the Seahawks will bring in someone like Bo Scarbrough in order to add that "punishing big back" element to the running back group. If you got to see any of the USFL games he was in, he was really a dominating force.

Again...lots of respect for Chris Carson. He leaves big shoes to fill!

getnasty

Reaction score
Is it me or doesn't Seattle seem like it has a bunch of guys end their careers due to neck injuries.

chrispy

Reaction score
It's hard to think of many players where you can't really think of anything negative to say. Carson did everything admirably.

Perhaps seeing it end so quickly and abruptly was a reason the other RBs seemed a little more like him at the end of last season. I'd assume there's an open door policy at VMAC for guys like Carson. Hopefully he can find a way to pass on some of his mojo by being around in some capacity.

Back in 11 or 12 somewhere, the Seahawks were the youngest team by quite a margin. That might be another parallel....

Best wishes. I hope there's some footage of CC at Marshawn's football camp in the near future. Get Rinaldi on the phone....

GemCity

Reaction score
Many great memories…CC, you will be missed!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Chris Carson, definitely a great human being and deserves a great life. He made the correct decision. Football isn’t everything and I hope he is satisfied with his career earnings and career accomplishments because 12s know how great he was. Carson, was able to pay off his mother’s rental home in which she now owns. The guy put his body on the line so he could take care of his mother. It doesn’t get any more honorable than that. Cheers to you, Chris, for everything you’ve done as a person, and as a Seahawk. Chris Carson, will forever be a Seattle Seahawk. Go have a wonderful and purposeful healthy life now. Cheers and Godspeed!

hawkpride

Reaction score
Chris Carson, you are the MAN, after BeastMode, who could fill those cleats.
No one. But man, you are made from the same fabric, you showed the NFL that sometimes the mold is not broken. You brought it all when you could, and us 12's say thank you.
You and your health mean more than football. Enjoy your life, and family. You did it and be proud.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Isn't neck injury the same reason we lost Cliff Avril to retirement?
Yes, and Kam. All were freak things too that I don't think there's a way to guard against - short of freezing guys in carbonite. But then they'd have a rather tough time actually playing, what with being frozen and all.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I also appreciate how the Seahawks did him right, making sure he gets his money. This isn't the first time the Seahawks have treated their tenured, skilled players well upon departure. He deserves however many millions he walks away with.

Threedee

Reaction score
I also appreciate how the Seahawks did him right, making sure he gets his money. This isn't the first time the Seahawks have treated their tenured, skilled players well upon departure. He deserves however many millions he walks away with.
My hope is that the Easley situation has taught all current and future owners not to be sleazy and cheap the way Behring was.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Yes, and Kam. All were freak things too that I don't think there's a way to guard against - short of freezing guys in carbonite. But then they'd have a rather tough time actually playing, what with being frozen and all.

And Ricardo Lockette, too, right?

That's a lot of dangerous injuries for a team that prides itself on form-correct "hawk" tackling.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's a league wide problem and high speed collisions cause this stuff. Knees, necks, and shoulders are the worst recipients of contact injuries. The players get paid to do it and to a man they like doing it while knowing their assumption of risk.

It always sucks when a player is forced to retire early as a result. Carson ran hard and for sure absorbed and dished out a lot of big hits. Thanks to him for his play here, he was a player you respected b/c he always played hard to the whistle.