Seahawks new DC Just Announced - Clint Hurtt

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not mad at it...I can't really formulate an opinion one way or the other yet but I've heard good things.

Time will tell.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Smart move. You have a coach that's already well respected by the players and knows the locker room. And can carry over the things the defense did well last year.

Combining him with Donatell to help the DBs is good. Hopefully they can woo Desai as well for some youth. If they land both Donatell and Desai, and let Clint lead the men that already respect him, it could be the best the defensive staff has looked in years.

The next domino is how Schneider handles FA. A lot of guys to retain and still find a way to sign some pass rushers.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I really like this. Hurtt is young and has done some really good things with the D Line. Having Donatell around is fantastic for Hurtt (and for Carroll) and the entire defensive unit. And I agree with the sentiment to bring in Desai, I think he's an interesting coach and teacher...with a good mind for the whole staff moving forward.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Him and Donatell together, let's see how it plays out. Like others, I'm hoping Desai is in the mix too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Be interesting to see what will change, philosophy, or just teaching techniques. Hurtt knows how Pete wants to do things, are the other guys here to help the defense I see more aggression, if to teach well then, I will be disappointed.

Would like to see us be a more bend and break them versus bend but don't break.

LTH

Reaction score
Interesting... It doesn't surprise me that Carroll would hire from within the organization.

LTH

Elemas

Reaction score
Part of me thinks the players like him and perhaps his ideas were good but we’re never fully implemented as he was an assistant.

The other part thinks PC is keeping a tight reign.

James in PA

Reaction score
To borrow a term from our resident Niners troll, it seems like some members are "butt Hurtt" over this move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanomoz

Reaction score
Maybe Hurtt will get some autonomy and the opportunity to try to install an innovative defense without Pete looking over his shoulder.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding. (I'm not deluded.)

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Just like any job outside of football, if you know some staff members are being looked at by other organizations, if the organization doesn’t decide to promote them in house, chances are, they will leave anyways sooner or later.

It was the right move for Seattle and Pete Carroll.

Carroll has a history of promoting in house and Hurtt was the next in line.

Promoting Hurtt also shows the players that Carroll wants to reward those that develop in house.

This was a move very much to instill confidence in the players that they can themselves earn an extension if they perform and grow within the organization.

Just my opinion.

Jville

Reaction score
I was a fan of the Clint Hurtt hire as the defensive line coach and remain a fan. Don't know what his fate will be as a defensive coordinator. But in today's game, his line coach background is preferable to that of a linebacker coach.

IIRC ..... Dan Quinn was a previous defensive lineman and then line coach that worked his way up to defensive coordinator.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here at .Negative undoubtedly the usual Anti-Peters will now chime in with domesday predictions.

I think the defensive backfield will be improved by the addition of Coach Donatell and whoever else they add as the formal replacement for the pass D coordinator. I want to wait and see what Hurrt can put together.

Buddy Ryan could be added as the DC or his equivalent or for that matter a top level experienced coach, even Bellichek. To them it’d still be wrong b/c of course they’ll all fall into lock step with PC. Nothing the present regime can do, will do, or get done will be acceptable to this very vocal anti-regime group who take over almost every thread with their views, it’s all PC ‘s fault, it’ll still be Pete Ball whatever that it is as it still remains undefined but is to them a great negative.

Why don’t we wait and see what the full plan is to fix the D?

Vesuve

Reaction score
hawkpride":37snfd16 said:
https://www.nfl.com/news/clint-hurtt-seahawks-promote-defensive-coordinator

Edit:
Not Official yet by the Hawks, but....

Pete's toy

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Funny to see people act like the know anything about Hurtt. Love the “great hire” comments…. Lol.

It’s disappointing because the philosophy will be the same. Unless Pete steps back a bit which I don’t see that happening.

kf3339

Reaction score
All this moves tells me is that PC is maintaining his usual tight control of his top assistants. Maybe it works here and perhaps not.

But so far nothing makes me see anything new to be excited about next season. It's still early though.