Seahawks new DC Just Announced - Clint Hurtt

nwHawk

Reaction score
I really like Clint Hurtt’s energy, but I have concerns over hand use and lineman disengagement tactics. When it comes to obvious pass rush situations, the Seahawks have really struggled for a few years. Consider the Kerry Hyder experiment. He was pretty good for the 49ers and blah here. Scheme is part of it, but one constant complaint is the lack of explosion and disruption from the defensive line. Hopefully a stud d-line coach will be added.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He's got to better than KNJr..That itself is a win.

Fade

Reaction score
A guy that wasn't good enough to be the DC @ U of Miami is the new DC, huh?

Also wouldn't be considered for this position for any NFL team, but the Seahawks.

Still better than Norton.

If they can get this conglomeration of Fangio assistants to work it could be great. 4 years of Norton really makes it hard to trust any of Pete's coaching choices at this point.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Pete’s philosophy and track record clearly shows he is all in on helping his staff work towards the best version of themselves and to achieve promotions to better jobs. If he is the type of head coach that wants nothing but yes men as some of you continue to claim even though the horse died years ago… then why and how do his coaches continually get other jobs? Pete has proven his ability to assemble quality staff that win games and get promotions for well over a decade… that doesn’t happen with a dictator approach to management. Nothing in his personal bio that I’ve ever seen or read indicates that Pete does anything but build personal relationships and work like a competent functioning adult with every single person in the building. The idea that he is a juvenile vindictive and controlling boss is a baseless argument.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jammerhawk":yew85c83 said:
Here at .Negative undoubtedly the usual Anti-Peters will now chime in with domesday predictions.

I think the defensive backfield will be improved by the addition of Coach Donatell and whoever else they add as the formal replacement for the pass D coordinator. I want to wait and see what Hurrt can put together.

Buddy Ryan could be added as the DC or his equivalent or for that matter a top level experienced coach, even Bellichek. To them it’d still be wrong b/c of course they’ll all fall into lock step with PC. Nothing the present regime can do, will do, or get done will be acceptable to this very vocal anti-regime group who take over almost every thread with their views, it’s all PC ‘s fault, it’ll still be Pete Ball whatever that it is as it still remains undefined but is to them a great negative.

Why don’t we wait and see what the full plan is to fix the D?

It's a predictable response made by a user base largely uninterested in actually trying to analyze football.

Complete dismissal of everything in favor of the "yes man" narrative makes it easy to keep up in conversations. Dumbing down the overall discourse just enough so that anyone can participate with little knowledge and little effort.

You won't see a post here worth a shit regarding Clint's history, how he may work with Donatell, or any of that. Just the same knee-jerk swill that makes up basically every response these days.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3j7jytz0 said:
Pete’s philosophy and track record clearly shows he is all in on helping his staff work towards the best version of themselves and to achieve promotions to better jobs.

Jeremy Bates, Darrell Bevell, Tom Cable, Brian Schottenheimer, and Ken Norton Jr. said Hold My Beer.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You do gotta' love how everyone becomes an instant "expert" on every coach or player out there. Every...single...time.

Steve Hawk

Reaction score
One minute its, Pete holds on to his coaches way to long. The next minute its, Pete goes through Coaches like water through a sieve.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Steve Hawk":1romr83i said:
One minute its, Pete holds on to his coaches way to long. The next minute its, Pete goes through Coaches like water through a sieve.

The commitment to perpetual anger here is strong, unfortunately.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Now that NYG have hired Wink Martindale as their DC the Hawks could be an attractive location for ex Bears DC Sean Desai to be the Defensive Passing Game Coordinator.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1f53cazp said:
f*** stupid. Doubling down on being stupid.

I'm with you like we've had such an awesome D Line these last few years I see another year down the tubes and Pete just telling us it's in the works.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1mscylzp said:
Now that NYG have hired Wink Martindale as their DC the Hawks could be an attractive location for ex Bears DC Sean Desai to be the Defensive Passing Game Coordinator.
I was holding out hope for Bob Barker or Pat Sajak. At least if we didn’t win we’d be going home with some fabulous prizes.

:lol: 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2xp3gdau said:
jammerhawk":2xp3gdau said:
I was holding out hope for Bob Barker or Pat Sajak. At least if we didn’t win we’d be going home with some fabulous prizes.

:lol: 8)

Vanna White.............

JPatera76

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2sypkrz6 said:
Might be the only option if Donatell goes to the vikings

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not excited but don't have enough information to be concerned.

Would ideally want a great candidate where there is good data showing this is a great hire.

But it is really difficult to be worse than literally one of the worst DCs in the history of the NFL.

Give it up to Norton that he was pretty solid on short yardage defense, goal line defense, and not terrible RZ defense.

But man, any team that wanted to could get inside the RZ on him and his defense starved our offense for possessions.

Just by removing KNJ, the offense should be better.

Is Hurtt any good? No idea.

He would have a difficult time being worse than what we had though.

flv

Reaction score
Hard to believe that the man with the answers to Norton Jr.'s problems was standing just a few feet away from Norton Jr. all this time.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Jodi Allen could certainly write a blank check to bring in some of the best minds of the NFL to fill the coordinator roles.

Rob says it better than I do. http://seahawksdraftblog.com/thoughts-o ... aff-search

But it keeps not happening. This offseason alone, a couple of proven DC candidates (Donatell and Desai) were brought in for an interview and . . . not hired. Instead we get another Carrol disciple. Like KNJ before him.

Correction--one was hired, but it looks like they're already leaving for the sort of job that Seattle should have given them.

It's pathetic. Isn't it pathetic?

I worked for six years for a 60-year-old organization that suffered from founder's syndrome. This reminds me of that. It reeks of stubbornness and a lack of willingness to make actual, meaningful change.

Maybe Hurtt will be just fine, but anyone that tells me that they're more excited about him than they would be about Donatell or Desai is full of it. I don't know how you can expect anything but more mediocrity with stretches that are horrendous just like the previous two years.

It's been a long time since anyone from this coaching tree has gone on to do anything more advanced in the NFL. Going on ten years, no?

I'd love to be wrong.

But we should absolutely prepare ourselves for a free agency period where the Hawks waste tens of millions on I don't even know what like in 2020. When they "fixed the pass rush" by signing Benson Mayowa and Bruce Irvin, and mortgaged the future on a player they still have not found a way to utilize in a way that seems to make the team better. Let's not forget a 654-year-old Greg Olsen that was just biding his time before that TV commentator gig he already knew was in the bag.

At this point, I wish the 'Hawks would have lost the last two games. Maybe it would have forced moving on from what feels like purgatory. I'd really rather reset and feel like maybe there's some hope a couple of years from now. As it stands, they're treading water.

As Rob Staton notes (link below), beating a pathetic Lions team and a Cards team that finished with a 1-5 skid really seems to have made people forget one of the most pathetic losses we've ever seen against a sorry Bears team fielding their third-string quarterback.

I'd love to be wrong. I really would. But this team is nowhere close to actually competing for a championship, let alone the division.

James in PA

Reaction score
Pete was trying to have his cake and eat it too. Now it seems to be blowing up in his face. Was it too much to have an experienced DC with a good track record join this staff? Apparently so. If I were Pete, I'd be begging Fangio to come to Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own The West

Reaction score
Luckily it’s only February, so all you haters have time to buy a t-shirt from a team you deem ‘properly’ run and go join their message boards. I’m sure all those fans will appreciate your speculative vitriol next year when they don’t win the super bowl either. You’ll be missed. No, really!

For those that remain and just want to follow and root for our team: GO HAWKS!

Latest posts