Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

flv2

Reaction score
Get a veteran back-up for $10M over 2 years or trade some Draft capital and get an experienced young back-up for $2M over 2 years. The young back-up isn't the finished article and could improve. It's a choice of how you spend the resources and 1 isn't clearly better than the other. Neither option prevents a team from making a QBOTF move.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I would be a lot more relaxed on every other move if we had a QBOTF. And I don’t consider Howell that. And while the new coaches might have no strings to Geno I believe JS does. I just don’t think that highly of a Geno as a starting QB and don’t think he is going to win us a single playoff game - ever.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Mariota averages 23 rushing yards per game in his career. He's nowhere near Daniels' stratospher
Did I say that? No. My point is that Howell is slow and Mariota is fast, and a pretty good runner, so the RPO and other plays they put in for Daniels makes Mariota a better fit as his backup.

The other thing I’m hearing is they wanted a veteran QB to help mentor Daniels. Mariota obviously has much more NFL experience than Howell.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
According to the FS chart, the Cardinals should be able to trade picks 68, 71, 104, 138, and 226 in return for number 1 overall in any given year. And they LOSE that trade on the chart.

And no, that's not to trade up from 3 to 1 overall. It is straight up 68, 71, 104, 138, and 226 in return for pick 1 overall.

Anyone peddling that chart as one that quantifies the value of these picks as tradeable assets is straight up misleading their followers on Twitter
I'm not going to say you're wrong, but you're also talking about the #1 pick. From a risk management perspective, 5 mid-rounders is probably a better value than one marquee player, but a handful of mid-rounders isn't going to give you the immediate marketing buzz of the #1 pick.

Did the teams that traded for Michael Vick, Jared Goff, or Jeff George win those trades? I'd say no. Bryce Young, can't tell yet, but leaning no.

I'd have to think about it, but my gut says JJ's chart overvalues and maybe the FS undervalues, or they don't get the non-linear regression right. Hmm.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Get a veteran back-up for $10M over 2 years or trade some Draft capital and get an experienced young back-up for $2M over 2 years. The young back-up isn't the finished article and could improve. It's a choice of how you spend the resources and 1 isn't clearly better than the other. Neither option prevents a team from making a QBOTF move.
I kind of view it like this: Howell is basically a 4th/5th round draft pick on a 2 year deal instead of 4, and we got him a month before the draft begins and we could easily go back on this pick if we get a 'better' one.

He didn't look great (to say the least) with WAS and he's got issues. Well, so does every guy currently in line to be drafted. I put Howell's ability to become the QBOTF at about equal with anyone in the draft class.

Is he LIKELY to be a career backup? Yup. But so is every QB being drafted this year. That's just how it works.

The way I'm looking at this, this isn't any worse of a move than going for Rattler or Jordan Travis in the late rounds and with this move, we still have the same number of draft picks as we did before.

My point is that it is not a slam dunk that Geno is our man. As I said, the job is likely his to lose, but I do think that, depending on how Howell looks in camp and in preseason, that Geno could be on a short leash.

New head coaches frequently like to put their stamp on the team early, and that sometimes means their own quarterback vs. a holdover from the previous regime. Is Howell 'their man'? I dunno. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.
I'm not going to deny that new head coaches like to put their own stamp on the team, but Schneider just unprompted said 'Geno's the starter' in an interview right after this transaction.

Could, theoretically, Howell ball out so amazingly in camp and Geno's body have fallen off a cliff over the offseason that he loses the job? Yes, but the odds of that happening do not strike me as being anywhere close to high enough to justify the amount of (virtual) ink that is going to be spilt over it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mixed feelings on that one. While I think Sam Howell is a gritty, serviceable backup QB, I think that is all he's going to be. He reminds me of a Minshew character. Minshew is a really good backup and he can win you games, but he's never going to be "the guy". He's fun to watch but he has some huge flaws in his game. He goes about playing the game like Russell Wilson, always has going back to college, except he doesn't have elite athleticism like Wilson had. He holds onto the ball forever and prefers to work outside of the pocket as much as possible.

For as much as Schneider talks about QB's, he sure has been hesitant to pull the trigger on one in the draft and it's likely that at most we're going to have a late round developmental prospect that will be stashed away on the PS. It just feels like we keep kicking the can down the road.

xray

Reaction score
If this is the QB room right now , and not the future , then what and when is the future ? 2026 ?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If this is the QB room right now , and not the future , then what and when is the future ? 2026 ?
That seems about right. There is zero reason to bring in Howell, if JS plans to draft a QB. For better or worse, it looks like we’re a year or two from drafting a QB.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. Macdonald didn't exactly give Geno a ringing endorsement when he was asked his opinion.

Per Michael-Shawn Dugar of The Athletic, Macdonald kept his options open when asked about his vision regarding the starter under center during his upcoming first season with the team.

"The first thing that I want you to know, and everybody to know, is that as an organization we're always looking, we're always trying to figure out what's best for the team all the time," Macdonald said. "We're always going to try to make the best decisions for the team."

With Macdonald and general manager John Schneider replacing former head coach Pete Carroll on the sidelines as well as in the front office, the new regime may want to move forward with their own quarterback. The Seahawks created $4.8 million in cap space by restructuring Smith's deal on Feb. 22, via ESPN's Field Yates.

While this doesn't necessarily mean that the 33-year-old should be expecting a change of scenery during the offseason, he may have some fierce competition in training camp. It appears that the ability to adapt to the playbook from Ryan Grubb, who was hired as Seattle's new offensive coordinator on Feb. 13, will factor into the team's decision.

At this point, it's probably Geno's job to lose. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that Howell won't be a threat to him.

I'm sure you guys are right, but even with a new coach and offense, Geno is the one that is familiar with the receivers and timing. I just think it's far fetched that Howell will eclipse Geno this season. Howell would have to be absolutely lights out for Macdonald to choose him. Not saying Howell doesn't have the ability to be a solid starting QB in the league. I just think it's going to take him awhile.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
They didn't trade a 3rd round pick for a backup QB. I expect Sam to start right away. We're going nowhere with Geno. He's yesterday's news. Time to see if the new kid can cut it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Why did they bring in Mariota to backup Drake Maye instead of just leave Howell to be the backup? Once they got Mariota, they had little need to keep a QB who they benched last year and who lead the NFL in sacks and interceptions. Did Seahawks overpay for a QB they were ready to get rid of anyway? Giving up the third round pick hurts. You can often get a starter from the third round.
Piss Poor Coaching....Howell WAS NOT the Bottom Line Problem.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
There are 32 GMs with competing plans, and not enough players to fill the plans. The worst plan is to wait for the 1st plan to fail before you sort out a back-up plan.
So how does this apply to the Seahawks current situation?

rjas77

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys are right, but even with a new coach and offense, Geno is the one that is familiar with the receivers and timing. I just think it's far fetched that Howell will eclipse Geno this season. Howell would have to be absolutely lights out for Macdonald to choose him. Not saying Howell doesn't have the ability to be a solid starting QB in the league. I just think it's going to take him awhile.
Considering how many starting QB went down last year and how old Geno is….Howell may very we’ll be starting this season

flv2

Reaction score
So how does this apply to the Seahawks current situation?
Smith is the starter. Howell is the back-up. If they can get a potential QBOTF and they only want 2 QBs on the active roster they will trade either Smith or Howell away. Alternatively if they acquire a QBOTF he can sit as a #3. Most likely a QBOTF will be out of reach or too expensive a gamble with the Draft resources available.

You don't go into the Draft with just Smith, miss out on all the rookie QBs, and then try to get a decent #2 QB.

xray

Reaction score
Drafting QBs ; even the top tier QBs , is a big gamble . Maybe JS doesn't want to take the leap and land badly , in his 1st draft without PC . I don't see him courting a rookie QB this year . He's not leaning that way . imo

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JS has been questionable at times, but the one thing I trust him with is an eye for QB talent. If he feels none of the upcoming QB's are worth a risk, I trust him with that.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Considering how many starting QB went down last year and how old Geno is….Howell may very we’ll be starting this season
The only thing I’d change in this plan is that, if Seahawks manage to draft TQBOTF at #16, he’s my QB2 behind Geno at the start of the season, and Howell is QB3 if you can’t trade him.

Latest posts