Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

Chevy

Reaction score
Howell had the most passing attempts of all the QBs last year and had the 4th most completed attempts. I think Howell's offensive coordinator (Eric Bieniemy) didn't do him any favors by having him throw the ball so much. Howell will be better set up for success with our playmakers on offensive and coaching staff. Howell could be our Brock Purdy. Both Howell and Purdy had similar passing stats their last year of college, except Purdy was drafted by a team loaded with great offensive talent, Howell drafted to a much less talented team and had a different offensive coordinator in each of his first two years in the NFL. Redskins locker room is said to love Howell, so natural team guy, which is huge for the QB position. Howell has a strong arm, goes through his progressions, and can extend plays with his legs.

I know JS said Howell is Geno's backup, but of course he is going to say that. JS and the coaching staff I'm sure will give Howell a lot of reps to prove himself and show to possibly be our starter in 2025.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Did you see the o-line he was playing behind in Washington?
14th in pass block win rate. Pretty average line. A lot of it was legitimately Howell - sacks are a QB stat as much as an OL stat. Geno played behind a line that performed as bad or worse in pass protection and had a top-10 lowest sack percentage.

This doesn't make him irredeemable or anything, but it wasn't good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Interesting way to look at it :rolleyes:
Jay and I don't agree on much, but he really does have a point. It was not an insignificant loss of draft capital.

I'm not entirely pessimistic about it, like I suspect Jay is. Sam is talented. He can push the ball vertically, he can move around, he is indeed pretty tough, and he's got a spark when the game is on the line. But it is a fair point - it was a pretty significant loss of capital this year given the context of us not having a second rounder.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Howell had the most passing attempts of all the QBs last year and had the 4th most completed attempts. I think Howell's offensive coordinator (Eric Bieniemy) didn't do him any favors by having him throw the ball so much. Howell will be better set up for success with our playmakers on offensive and coaching staff. Howell could be our Brock Purdy. Both Howell and Purdy had similar passing stats their last year of college, except Purdy was drafted by a team loaded with great offensive talent, Howell drafted to a much less talented team and had a different offensive coordinator in each of his first two years in the NFL. Redskins locker room is said to love Howell, so natural team guy, which is huge for the QB position. Howell has a strong arm, goes through his progressions, and can extend plays with his legs.

I know JS said Howell is Geno's backup, but of course he is going to say that. JS and the coaching staff I'm sure will give Howell a lot of reps to prove himself and show to possibly be our starter in 2025.

I was wondering about the reps. A backup normally only gets game reps if the starter is (1) injured or (2) playing poorly. If Geno is neither, will Howell nonetheless get reps just to get a better evaluation of him as the QB1 successor to Geno rather than draft QB in 2025? If he doesn’t get significant reps, that’s a good sign JS sees him as a backup going forward.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I was wondering about the reps. A backup normally only gets game reps if the starter is (1) injured or (2) playing poorly. If Geno is neither, will Howell nonetheless get reps just to get a better evaluation of him as the QB1 successor to Geno rather than draft QB in 2025? If he doesn’t get significant reps, that’s a good sign JS sees him as a backup going forward.
If I had to guess, Sam is going to firmly receive second-team reps while the coaching staff rehabilitates some of his more detrimental habits. I wouldn't rule out first-team reps, but Sam would really, really have to earn them.

I'm not convinced that they're not considering a quarterback in this draft, given the level of free agent hedging they've done.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If I had to guess, Sam is going to firmly receive second-team reps while the coaching staff rehabilitates some of his more detrimental habits. I wouldn't rule out first-team reps, but Sam would really, really have to earn them.

I'm not convinced that they're not considering a quarterback in this draft, given the level of free agent hedging they've done.
I wasn’t referring to training camp reps. Taking JS at his word, it wii be second team reps in training camp. I was asking about how much playing time he gets in the regular season, assuming Geno is healthy and playing well.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I wasn’t referring to training camp reps. Taking JS at his word, it wii be second team reps in training camp. I was asking about how much playing time he gets in the regular season, assuming Geno is healthy and playing well.
Ohhh, got it.

In that case, zero outside of injury, I'd wager.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Ohhh, got it.

In that case, zero outside of injury, I'd wager.
I agree. But that pretty much assures Seahawks will be drafting a QB in 2025, unless Howell is just handed the job on a silver platter. I don’t see that happening. I don’t want to be drafting again from around the middle draft position (or lower) in 2025 and desperate for a QB.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Most in here seem to love Howell , and point out that , " hey , they got him cheap " . Most of the time you get what you pay for . IMO...the Hawks don't value the QB position as the most important position on the team .
I don't know what or how they think but you make an interesting statement. I think Seattle could very well have a different value system regarding QB. I believe I heard that less than 10% of the top QBs drafted have any success and I have to think it's because they go to teams that are terrible, switch coaching staffs every few seasons, no continuity . A couple of years and many physical and mental beatings later , they're labeled a"Bust". We've seen it happen

If JS can get a young QB with potential and a fraction of the cost , I think it's cool
and hope it works out .

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Only nine QBs started all their games in 2023 and only twelve in 2022. I'd say the percentages are in his favor for seeing meaningful snaps next season.
Maybe that magical rookie qb everyone wants beats him out for the two job?

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks have a better QB room with Geno and Sam than they did with Russ and Geno.
I'm pretty sure this is how John and Mike want it to be.