Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I'm one that noticed Howell last year. I was mildly surprised that the Commanders decided not to build around Howell. I thought that he showed enough potential although one can conclude that Washington has seen this before. He was called Cousins and i think Howell might be a Cousins-eque quarterback.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
There is no way to predict with great accuracy how a rookie QB will perform. You just have to take your best shot, and if it doesn’t work, try again. Remember, you’re talking to a Bears fan!

I do not think Howell is the answer, but we’ll take the next 2-3 years to find out. The Commanders obviously have my assessment of Howell or they would not bring in Mariota and ship Howell out for a 4th round pick.

Jac

Reaction score
There is no way to predict with great accuracy how a rookie QB will perform. You just have to take your best shot, and if it doesn’t work, try again. Remember, you’re talking to a Bears fan!

I do not think Howell is the answer, but we’ll take the next 2-3 years to find out. The Commanders obviously have my assessment of Howell or they would not bring in Mariota and ship Howell out for a 4th round pick.
The Commanders would have been happy to build around Howell. It's just that they have the #2 pick this year so they're shooting for the moon. Mariota is no reflection on Howell. They had to get rid of any distractions for that #2 pick coming in (particularly if they're leaning toward Howell's college teammate Maye). Keep in mind, that #2 pick is probably going to sh!t the bed all over the field this year.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I seriously doubt he's the answer also, but I understand now why they took him. He's a cheap backup insurance policy and buys time. We've kicked the can down the road now for an eternity, so no sense in doing anything rash now. Let's give it another four or five years, and maybe we can find someone worth drafting in the 3rd round.

Jac

Reaction score
I seriously doubt he's the answer also, but I understand now why they took him. He's a cheap insurance policy and buys time. We've kicked the can down the road now for an eternity, so no sense in doing anything rash now. Let's give it another four or five years, and maybe we can find someone worth drafting in the 3rd round.

View attachment 65573
JS spent draft capital on Howell. That's definitely outside the pattern of this team over the past decade and signals change. I think you're going to start seeing him routinely draft QBs going forward. Penix is the obvious wildcard this year if he's sitting there at #16 and again if he's still sitting there after a tradedown (or two). If that doesn't happen, then Howell is their "rookie" for this year. I just don't think JS is going to treat this position in the draft the same way it has been.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The Commanders would have been happy to build around Howell. It's just that they have the #2 pick this year so they're shooting for the moon. Mariota is no reflection on Howell. They had to get rid of any distractions for that #2 pick coming in (particularly if they're leaning toward Howell's college teammate Maye). Keep in mind, that #2 pick is probably going to sh!t the bed all over the field this year.
I believe that they are bringing in Mariota to backup Daniels, but we will see.

If they thought Howell is a legit QB1 they would build around him, beginning with Harrison. I want Nix at #16, but I doubt it will happen, and we will be having this same QB search discussion next year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's a trade down and maybe sneak in someone that falls or maybe a guy like Rattler. Thing is Howell definitely has a live arm and talent and we definitely will have at least a middle level defense and our OL won't be trash given the coach in charge and this is a very rare draft loaded with quality OL

1. QOTF
But if it's not possible to get the quarterback you like....Go plan B
2. Very cheap backup that actually may challenge Geno
3. OL, ol, ol
4. Hopefully a Chis Jones type
5. ONE top tier CB
6. Versatile LB's and Safeties
Doesn't Howell actually qualify as your item "2. Very cheap backup that actually may challenge Geno"? I'd think he does.
I know you like Rattler, but I think Howell has comparable or more upside. In any case, we get a cheaper backup than Lock, with arguably more upside, and can afford one more Free Agent at a position of need.

olyfan63

Reaction score
JS spent draft capital on Howell. That's definitely outside the pattern of this team over the past decade and signals change. I think you're going to start seeing him routinely draft QBs going forward. Penix is the obvious wildcard this year if he's sitting there at #16 and again if he's still sitting there after a tradedown (or two). If that doesn't happen, then Howell is their "rookie" for this year. I just don't think JS is going to treat this position in the draft the same way it has been.
I wanted Penix in this years draft also, but it looks unlikely given the overall draft board and Seahawks lack of picks. To me this says Grubb has reviewed Howell thoroughly and given his stamp of approval that he can build a quality offense around Howell. Recall Pete passed on some of his USC players we thought he'd choose in the draft in favor of other guys. Would love Penix here under Grubb, just don't think it can happen. I'd be OK with the UW OL guy everybody likes at #16, or BPA, e.g., the Georgia TE guy.

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
Interesting pick up. Looks like this Howell guy has more potential, than Drew Lock. He will also be cheaper to retain possibly, and helps lower the salary cap with the draft pick swaps as well.

Worked out great for the Seahawks and their new coach.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I believe that they are bringing in Mariota to backup Daniels, but we will see.

If they thought Howell is a legit QB1 they would build around him, beginning with Harrison. I want Nix at #16, but I doubt it will happen, and we will be having this same QB search discussion next year.
Nix is older than Howell, and Howell played well for a bad team in college while Nix had to go to a team with offensive talent before he looked good. Give me Howell over Nix any day of the week, particularly considering the low investment cost.

Jac

Reaction score
I wanted Penix in this years draft also, but it looks unlikely given the overall draft board and Seahawks lack of picks. To me this says Grubb has reviewed Howell thoroughly and given his stamp of approval that he can build a quality offense around Howell. Recall Pete passed on some of his USC players we thought he'd choose in the draft in favor of other guys. Would love Penix here under Grubb, just don't think it can happen. I'd be OK with the UW OL guy everybody likes at #16, or BPA, e.g., the Georgia TE guy.
It could be that they're hedging against him not being there. They may be thinking that there is going to be a crazy run on QB's that are going to sweep up McCarthy and Penix in the mix. They'll have to weigh the opportunity cost of passing on him for a first round blue chipper or a couple 2nd-3rd rounders via trade down.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Nix is older than Howell, and Howell played well for a bad team in college while Nix had to go to a team with offensive talent before he looked good. Give me Howell over Nix any day of the week, particularly considering the low investment cost.
You can never tell how a rookie can perform, but I don’t see any weaknesses in Nix. His college stats were great, and showed on pro day he can make every throw in the book. Seahawks also have offensive talent.

Maulbert

Reaction score
You can never tell how a rookie can perform, but I don’t see any weaknesses in Nix. His college stats were great, and showed on pro day he can make every throw in the book. Seahawks also have offensive talent.
Bo Nix's 3 years at Auburn:
vs. Sam Howell's 3 years at North Carolina:
BTW, Auburn's record was 22-16, North Carolina's was 21-17.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Bo Nix's 3 years at Auburn:
View attachment 65579
vs. Sam Howell's 3 years at North Carolina:
View attachment 65580
BTW, Auburn's record was 22-16, North Carolina's was 21-17.
That’s about as irrelevant as anything I can think of. The scouts will judge him on his 2023 tape, Senior Bowl, Pro Day performance, and private interviews.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have neither, but Howell over Nix any day.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
That’s about as irrelevant as anything I can think of. The scouts will judge him on his 2023 tape, Senior Bowl, Pro Day performance, and private interviews.
Good NFL teams will go back and view film of players of their entire college career’s some will even go as far back as high school.

With Howell in his sophomore season he was in a spread offense with a solid o line and weapons going into his last year (Jr) Mack Brown went to a different run based offense When he lost 4 of his receivers and rb’s and a good portion of his o line. Seattle will be running a spread base offense I wouldn’t be surprised if they throw out his Jr tape and pay more attention to his sophomore years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
You said Nix's college stats were great. I was just pointing out they weren't until he went to Oregon. So if my point was irrelevant, so was yours.