Russell Wilson wearing playbook wristband.

chrispy

Reaction score
Perhaps much of the playbook early in the season highlighted Harvin.

We know that there were issues in 1)being able to audible out of plays and/or 2)variety of plays because of the Cowboys game where Walters was taking jet-sweeps. Harvin wouldn't go in and we couldn't get out of the play. Wilson didn't audible out of those plays either because he wasn't given the authority, because he didn't have the ability/knowledge, or because we didn't have a system to do it.

I think it's safe to say that there would have been an effort to avoid a circumstance where we had limited options with a few seconds on the play clock after that game. It seems like there may be several results that have all helped. The wristband gives Bevell a lot more options to call in. It probably also gives RW more audible options if he can call two plays in the huddle and option to one at the line if needed. It increases both the amount of usable plays (even robots have a memory capacity) and the ability to get in and out of those plays.

Watching RW run wild the last several weeks also makes me think that there has either been an increase in the breadth of our offense or possibly just some new wrinkles that teams haven't seen much tape on. I think probably the former. It's already tough for Ds to prepare for RW's mobility. Adding more plays and new concepts mid-season has resulted (in my opinion) in Ds being on their heels more and thus giving RW some good running lanes.

If the Hawks and Broncos meet in the SB again, we can be sure Manning has spent many sleepless nights dissecting the D. Perhaps some new things on Offense will bring some surprises. If, on the other hand, it's the Pats and Hawks, RW (and the O in general) will need to make use of anything to match up against a Belechick prepared D.

Hope I didn't run-on too long. All that from a wristband... but I think the wristband is possibly a result of some other changes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not the plays, it's one of those blackjack cards you get in Vegas.

FinalBBSchart.png

kjreid

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is audibles for different Defense patterns and the top flap is two minute drill depending on down and distance.

byau

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":txexo1hq said:
I edited my post it was Week 12 against the Cardinals not Niners

Interesting.

That could also be read as he started wearing it AFTER Week 11 against the Chiefs, the last loss we had.

We've been 5-0 since and have had some great offensive play that seems to get better each week. Started with two 19-3 games with some lack of success in the redzone. Then getting a few more touchdowns the next few weeks culminating in the five touchdown performance yesterday.

Very interesting.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mq4h6jd said:
-The Glove-":1mq4h6jd said:
This last game it seemed it's been the most I've seen RW change plays/call out blitzes (assignments) since he's been in the league...I've also never seen that quick stutter step hike he was doing to beat the blitzes. If he can see the defensive formations and make those calls like that....Why has it taken so long for us to allow him to do that?
What a great question.

No quick passing game was getting Russ killed. All the sudden we have one?

I am being more optimistic: At least they made some changes!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Just going back for a quick look and I am sure I missed some games, but he wore it throughout the 2012 season. Did not wear it at all in 2013, and (as mentioned above) went back to it after the KC game this year.

He certainly went through a funk mid-season and he and Carrol both talked about working to get out of it.

Perhaps it is part of letting him refocus on the fundamentals to just win.

- bsd RPA

253hawk

Reaction score
It's a list of the names of kids from Children's Hospital that he promised to score a TD for.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1emoyf9f said:
-The Glove-":1emoyf9f said:
This last game it seemed it's been the most I've seen RW change plays/call out blitzes (assignments) since he's been in the league...I've also never seen that quick stutter step hike he was doing to beat the blitzes. If he can see the defensive formations and make those calls like that....Why has it taken so long for us to allow him to do that?
What a great question.

All I wanted from last game was for us to use our TE's against their blitz. AZ's Lbers are studs against the run and great at blitzing, but none of them are very good in coverage. Christmas came early for me.

I hope this is a trend that continues.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I wonder if it has something to do with solving the issue of "tipping our hand" we seemed to be having earlier in the season? Maybe we have gone to a different method of signaling the plays and the wrist band is his cypher?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1dkqeakg said:
-The Glove-":1dkqeakg said:
What a great question.

I think so, likin' it.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3gdcv2gp said:
niveky":3gdcv2gp said:
What i'm pleased about is the corresponding effect, or at least what seems to be one, between him having that playbook wristband since week 12 and the steady improvement/success the offense has continued to have since that time. They have played a lot of really good defenses and they were struggles but the offense, even against those defenses, at the very least was putting up points when the game was on the line or when they needed to put it away for good. Last night feels like a culmination of that process that I hope will keep the offense rolling throughout the playoffs.
Yeah, I'm sure some people will find a way to give Bevell credit for it. :roll:

Bevell can't change a play at the line based on what the defense shows. Bevell can't call a hot route if the defense shows blitz. Those are the things we need Russell to be able to do and he looked pretty damn good doing it.

gargantual

Reaction score
october12thMAN":1eud2542 said:
ivotuk":1eud2542 said:
Laloosh":1eud2542 said:
He's just trolling kaepernick...

LOL. I don't know why that made me laugh... :lol:

I'm pretty certain the inside of Kaepernicks's play wrist band is cartoons!
Ha.... that's great!

Like the cash registers at Mickey D's, with pictures of food.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I went to check how many time he used it last year, he used it only ONCE during the playoffs against the Saints.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ccrxc4k said:
It's not the plays, it's one of those blackjack cards you get in Vegas.

FinalBBSchart.png

I always found it funny that people bought these in Vegas. If you ever forgot what you're supposed to do, the dealer is usually more than happy to educate you right on the spot.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3lraq4r9 said:
RolandDeschain":3lraq4r9 said:
niveky":3lraq4r9 said:
What i'm pleased about is the corresponding effect, or at least what seems to be one, between him having that playbook wristband since week 12 and the steady improvement/success the offense has continued to have since that time. They have played a lot of really good defenses and they were struggles but the offense, even against those defenses, at the very least was putting up points when the game was on the line or when they needed to put it away for good. Last night feels like a culmination of that process that I hope will keep the offense rolling throughout the playoffs.

Bevell can't change a play at the line based on what the defense shows. Bevell can't call a hot route if the defense shows blitz. Those are the things we need Russell to be able to do and he looked pretty damn good doing it.
Exactly...so why's it taken so long? From all sources RW is a quick learner...so who is hurting his development?

Anthony!

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1y4d11tf said:
Zebulon Dak":1y4d11tf said:
RolandDeschain":1y4d11tf said:
niveky":1y4d11tf said:

Exactly...so why's it taken so long? From all sources RW is a quick learner...so who is hurting his development?

IT was well documented that last year and most of this Wilson was given 2-4 plays and he could run what he wanted, audible but only to those plays. It appears the idea here it to allow Wilson to audible to any play or call any play he wants if he does not like what Bevel called. So the answer is probably Bevell was the issue and his lack of wanting to give up control.

Anthony!

Reaction score
-The Glove-":j9ycd0ck said:
Zebulon Dak":j9ycd0ck said:
RolandDeschain":j9ycd0ck said:
niveky":j9ycd0ck said:

IT was well documented that last year and most of this Wilson was given 2-4 plays and he could run what he wanted, audible but only to those plays. It appears the idea here it to allow Wilson to audible to any play or call any play he wants if he does not like what Bevel called. So the answer is probably Bevell was the issue and his lack of wanting to give up control.

Latest posts