Russell Wilson released, according to sources.

flv2

Reaction score
This is what happens to teams that sign ridiculous contracts. Once a player has played the 1st 2 years of a 2nd or later NFL contract he shouldn't at any point have more than 1 year remaining that is fully guaranteed. 1 year is the maximum and ideally it should be less. I don't feel sorry for the Broncos, (or the Cardinals who are in a similar situation with Murray).
This was an over-reaction. Guaranteeing 25-33% of year 4 before year 3 began would have been fine. If the Broncos keeping Wilson for 2024 was going to only guarantee Wilson $9M of his 2025 money rather than $37M they would probably have kept him for 2024. Equally Wilson could have offered to reduce the guarantee to $9M. That would have kept him in the starter's role and earned him $9M, (admittedly delayed until 2025). Another observation would be that if he's not prepared to play for the Broncos for $9M what makes anyone think he's prepared to play somewhere else for minimum wage?

Seahawker

Reaction score
From college through the NFL Russell Wilson has along the way made his mark. His pro career became polarized and went crashing down on an eyepopping scale that was hard to turn away from. Currently #19 on the alltime NFL passing list, RW needs 2595 yards to pass Carson Palmer at 15th overall.
One of a kind for sure.
Bedd9e36c39d65554adf42378acc8bed 1

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This was an over-reaction. Guaranteeing 25-33% of year 4 before year 3 began would have been fine. If the Broncos keeping Wilson for 2024 was going to only guarantee Wilson $9M of his 2025 money rather than $37M they would probably have kept him for 2024. Equally Wilson could have offered to reduce the guarantee to $9M. That would have kept him in the starter's role and earned him $9M, (admittedly delayed until 2025). Another observation would be that if he's not prepared to play for the Broncos for $9M what makes anyone think he's prepared to play somewhere else for minimum wage?

Staying in Denver would have meant taking Less, but so will Denver’s firing him.

For

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
John63 is an older man who isn't part of Russell's paid team. He just got polarized into a dumb viewpoint like many susceptible people do these days.

As I've mentioned a few times before, he's revealed his true identity to me (by mistake, as he started arguing with me on Twitter before blocking me. The style of his rhetoric was absolutely unmistakable down to the idiosyncratic nature of his typing. His name also confirmed the link because it matched up exactly with one of his forum accounts. My Twitter account doesn't use the Maelstrom handle, so he didn't know it was his ol' nemesis I guess.)

He's just a regular boomer (not as an insult, literally just referencing his general age) with a Youtube channel (about his work) who gets into arguments on the internet.

I cannot post it because all of it is linked to his real name, and I'm not going to doxx the guy.

He once posted here about how he didn't like Marshawn because he was too selfish. To post that while defending Russ told me all I needed to know.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
From college through the NFL Russell Wilson has along the way made his mark. His pro career became polarized and went crashing down on an eyepopping scale that was hard to turn away from. Currently #19 on the alltime NFL passing list, RW needs 2595 yards to pass Carson Palmer at 15th overall.
One of a kind for sure.
View attachment 65382
To quote Seahawks fan, Mina Kimes, "Wins are not a QB stat." Like basketball player that gets his stats every night while his team loses, Russell Wilson has always made sure he got his stats, whether it was good for the team or not.

Pair that with the fact his fledgling career was supported by a historic defense, and I don't know that his "most wins in first two years as a starter" record couldn't have been Matt Flynn's as well.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Payton tried to impart some positive life lessons on the value of humility. Russ needs to take that forward in terms of his next phase of his career.

He won’t have Payton breathing down his neck, but he should act like he is. Most coaches in fact want their qb to run the offense how they choose to run it.

Derek Carr and Russ had almost identical td int ratios this year. Derek is staying for 2024, and if released after that will likely get a high backup contact. Because Derek is not a fame builder.

BASF

Reaction score
What's even funnier (I still loathe the Broncos from the Seahawks' days in the AFC West) is that the Broncos had Wilson on his contract from the Seahawks, which looked pretty inexpensive in the 2022 offseason, what with the Seahawks eating $26M of dead money from Wilson's signing bonus. The Broncos didn't need to sign him to an extension during that same offseason. They could have waited to see how things went with Wilson first. But instead, the business geniuses in charge chose to sign Wilson to a big extension with a big signing bonus before he had played a single snap for them (not even a preseason snap!). The result is that they ended up paying Wilson $124M for one season of eighth-octile QB performance and one season of "greatly improved" sixth-octile QB performance. $62M per season for crap performance. GLORIOUS!

The only thing that could possibly have made that situation any more perfect (for me and my loathing of the Broncos) would be if The Teeth had still been in charge in Denver and had been responsible for the Wilson trade and the stupidest contract extension in league history.
I am always going to believe that the sequence of events was hidden by Team 3 to make his image as clean as can be. My theory is that he wanted an extension from the Seahawks and when PC and JS said no, that is when he went to Jody trying to get them fired.

When Jody said no, that was when the trade stuff started (We're not asking for a trade, but these are the teams we would accept), but it was his media campaign putting himself over was the turning point for Carroll. Then Me3 did not run Waldron's offense and that was the clincher.

The money was the point though. Remember that Wilson wants to own an NFL team. So, he was traded to the Broncos, who had new ownership with deep pockets. I don't believe for a second that Nathaniel Hackett had the idea that Wilson wouldn't be throwing to his new receivers. I will always believe that Wilson was doing a hold in until he got the extension that he had wanted from the Seahawks. It was just never said to the public, because for Me3, his image is so important. Remember that he spun big time about his leaving NC State. His teammates have very different recollections of why he ended up at Wisconsin.

rjdriver

Reaction score
One of a kind for sure.
View attachment 65382
True..

And Fair.

But no QB in this generation had a defense like the 2012-2013 Seahawks in their first two years. I'm still forever grateful for Russ, but wins are much easier to come by when 10 points gets it done. TD throws are easier to come by when you're always 4-8 plays away from getting the ball back.

Again... #3 is the greatest QB in Hawks history. He was great under pressure, and I rooted like living hell for him. I just don't personally think he is close to the same category as Marino and Manning. I respect the opinion of those that feel otherwise though, and validate the numbers that drive their argument.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Helped win us a Superbowl, rewarded us with 1st & 2nd rounders and completely dog screwed our former AFC rival over the coals.
Makes me wish I woulda tried a Dangerwich.
Go Hawks

I was thinking this exact thing. He gave us his best years and then decimated an old rival while getting us enough picks/players to keep us in the playoff hunt for awhile. May not have been intentional but this makes him MVP if we win a superbowl soon.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
We raped the Broncos and took all their draft picks

Wilson rapped them even more and took all their cap space

Almost feel sorry for the Bronco Fans. I did say almost
F Donk Forever.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Why is there not a Russell Wilson sub forum?

I swear, 20 years from now, some posters will still be obsessively posting about him...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Why is there not a Russell Wilson sub forum?

I swear, 20 years from now, some posters will still be obsessively posting about him...
Perhaps...but I can't think of a qb of his supposed stature that literally nose dived his career so badly..and it turns out he was a seahawk so I guess that makes it chat worthy here for at least a while longer. I think the Russ fanboys get a little bit upset to see the hurtful comments about their hero especially when they realize it's now all true.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He once posted here about how he didn't like Marshawn because he was too selfish. To post that while defending Russ told me all I needed to know.
Same type of thing you see in politics or any other divisive and narrative-driven topic.

Certain individuals of a certain type of age, upbringing, and background tend to buy these polarized viewpoints hook, line, and sinker by whoever gets to them first.

They then dig their heels in because they only mentally grasp information that confirms their preconceived notions and will immediately discard the rest as irrelevant or false, creating a self-sustaining echo chamber.

This is my most grave concern with society. John63's popping up in every facet of every space. It only gets worse, and no amount of aggressively prioritizing nuance and consensus helps. It just digs people in further.

People like him almost need deprogramming, because they were given the tools to brainwash themselves.