Russell Wilson is Elite | I'm Putting the Nail in the Coffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppersjap

Reaction score
My thing is that if it is not on Wilson then the organization needs to find him some receivers. Doug Baldwin is great and Lockett is having a very good year but where the hell is Jaron Brown and David Moore started out well but he has been almost non existent lately? I also thought Vannett started the year strong but he has disappeared and we hardly ever see anything from Dickson. I would also love to see Stringfellow brought up to replace Malik Turner who is zero help outside of special teams and he even killed us in that area today with an idiotic penalty.

northseahawk

Reaction score
davidonmi":112qc3m9 said:
northseahawk":112qc3m9 said:
SoulfishHawk":112qc3m9 said:
Well, he had a bad game, it happens. I just find it amusing how many people want to point to one bad game, which they WON and they ignore the fact that he has been on point for weeks.

Statistically, he is doing well. Like today's game, the stats were good/great, but he could not see open players even if the game was slow-motioned for him.

From an unbiased eye, he has not won us any game this year. He is managing the game well. On the other hand, he has lost two games personally with his timely pick-6s and if it weren't for the running game, his atrocious play in a few games would have been losses as well.

This team will not get anywhere with this 150 yard games, missing open throws, and not seeing open receivers. He makes every defense look like the great defenses of all time.

This guy should be throwing 300 yards earsly because our run game is attracting 8 men in the box all day and he does have the excuse of not getting time anymore!

Yep. he's supposed to be throwing 300 yards "easily" when given 25-30 attempts per game. 10 ypa. Look around the NFL today. You'll be stunned to find out that 95% of quarterbacks don't play this perfect brand of football that Russ is expected to match every week.

But aren't we claiming that he belongs in the other 5% percent who actually DO play (and are expected to play) the perfect brand of football?? Lol

And the 95% that are not playing perfect brand of football do not have the #1 rushing team or get close to the blocking this years oline is giving RW!

Let face the truth, he is a good managing GB, but should not be expected to lead and get us wins. His excuses are finished/addressed: he has the best running game, good blocking, teams stacking the box and giving him the open field to throw.

What other excuse is left for this "Elite" qb that he can't win for us when the running game is not able to on certain days?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Take Wilson off the Seahawks and they're a nine or ten loss team. So yeah, he's elite. Stop this madness. As a 49er fan, besides Wagner, Russell Wilson is the only thing I fear when we play the Seahawks. He makes plays and then things tend to snowball. Put someone else back there and they are not even close to the playoffs.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1b4rv2xu said:
Take Wilson off the Seahawks and they're a nine or ten loss team. So yeah, he's elite. Stop this madness. As a 49er fan, besides Wagner, Russell Wilson is the only thing I fear when we play the Seahawks. He makes plays and then things tend to snowball. Put someone else back there and they are not even close to the playoffs.

The moment a 9ers fan understands how solid RW is, yet some dot-netters are still blind.

3114580339e13052890b39162b9ef548

gabel

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is 0-3 when he has more than 32 pass attempts. Let me translate; he does well when his team can run the ball.

Not sure how many elites have passed for 72 yards in a game (ie the spectacular Minnesota game).

Russell Wilson has only 1 game where he threw over 300 yards this year.

When was the last time Russell Wilson had a good playoff game?

I don't hate Russell Wilson I just don't like him making over 30M a season and I do not think he is elite.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
gabel":324m07zl said:
Russell Wilson is 0-3 when he has more than 32 pass attempts. Let me translate; he does well when his team can run the ball.

Not sure how many elites have passed for 72 yards in a game (ie the spectacular Minnesota game).

I don't hate Russell Wilson I just don't like him making over 30M a season and I do not think he is elite.

Yards don’t tell the whole story. I’ll take a 72yd win over a 500yd loss any day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutch...st-500-passing-yards-three-tds-zero-ints/amp/

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you think he's elite or not. It matters what management and the coach think, and they get it. All that guy has done is won at a clip that is on par with EVERY QB in the history of the game over his first 7 years. But clearly, he has nothing to do with those wins. It's all defense and running game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
gabel":15jv8r0k said:

Tom Brady has failed to break 80 yards at least twice. Drew Brees has failed to break 50 once. 80 atleast 4 times.

It was really easy research and there were so many games i stopped.

I dont think anybqb is worth 30 million. But thats the way things are going. Im more concerned about the % his number counts against the cap and the overall balance of money invested on both sides of the ball

gabel

Reaction score
Uncle Si":7eq0wza0 said:
gabel":7eq0wza0 said:

Tom Brady has failed to break 80 yards at least twice. Drew Brees has failed to break 50 once. 80 atleast 4 times.

It was really easy research and there were so many games i stopped.

I dont think anybqb is worth 30 million. But thats the way things are going. Im more concerned about the % his number counts against the cap and the overall balance of money invested on both sides of the ball

I see your point.

Adding to the debate: The last time Brees had a game like that was 12 years ago. Jared Goff threw for 465 yards against the same Viking team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Carr couldn't do nearly as much as Russ does with this team, come on. Dear god, my head hurts just reading something so dumb.

Seymour

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3l431bkr said:
I've been a Wilson fan since day one, but to be honest, I'm starting to get that "Mudbone" feel.

He makes boneheaded catastrophic decisions way too often, holds the ball too long, fails too see open receivers, and he's absolute crap at time management... He always made of for that with his elusiveness and running ability... but he's getting slower, 30 is upon him, and he won't be that elusive threat for much longer, and that player won't be worth the 36 million dollars per year he's gearing up to ask for.

The Seahawks can NEVER win another Superbowl by paying RW 36 million dollars per year... and he's absolutely deluded enough to think he deserves that much.... He's gotten too Hollywood and has bought into his own hype. He's no longer the first into the building and the last to leave.... and you're seeing the results.

He doesn't put in the same effort that he did his first two years in the league.

If he re-focused on football, and returned to his Peyton Manning/Drew Brees like ways of his early years, he'd be worth that 30+ million in today's league, but he's not... he's not much better than Derek Carr or Kirk Cousins or Cam Newton or Dak Prescott or any other above average starter in the NFL who cannot read the field and find the open receiver after five years in the league.

Right now, if I'm Carrol and Schneider, I make my move this off-season, I exploit the hell out of John Gruden's love of RW, and trade him to the Raiders for Carr and a first rounder -- and I bet you the Raiders would go for it, hell, Gruden being Gruden, you might get Carr and TWO first rounders for Wilson... think about that....

Then you've got Carr for 4 years at a suddenly (in modern NFL terms) *budget .... 18.5 million average.

Give Carr some protection and a good run game and what do you have?

In this offense, 30 touchdowns, 3.5k yards, and 65% - you can win a Superbowl with that, and the pass rush you'll be able to afford by not paying your QB double that salary.

Carr is on a 5 year $125M deal that averages $25M per season not $18M. Plus the fact he sucks and is not even close to the clutch player Wilson is.

What a lame post and even worse idea. :pukeface:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":14aqv3a6 said:
The_Z_Man":14aqv3a6 said:
Then you've got Carr for 4 years at a suddenly (in modern NFL terms) *budget .... 18.5 million average.

Give Carr some protection and a good run game and what do you have?

In this offense, 30 touchdowns, 3.5k yards, and 65% - you can win a Superbowl with that, and the pass rush you'll be able to afford by not paying your QB double that salary.

Carr is on a 5 year $125M deal that averages $25M per season not $18M. Plus the fact he sucks and is not even close to the clutch player Wilson is.

What a lame post and even worse idea. :pukeface:

I also don't agree with the idea, but once again you have forgotten how trades work, Seymour.

The original team eats the entire signing bonus, and there were roster bonuses that front-loaded his contract. Carr's remaining salary would average 19.62M/yr including his 100K workout bonuses, and the Raiders would eat 7.5M in dead cap money.

Certainly cheap in the modern NFL, but also "you get what you pay for".

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2rey2aw5 said:
Carr couldn't do nearly as much as Russ does with this team, come on. Dear god, my head hurts just reading something so dumb.
I'm not the biggest Russ fan in the world, but I don't think Carr's style really fits what Carroll wants to do on offense. He has a completely different skill set than what Carroll looks for in his QB's. I don't think he's a bad QB, that being said I think it would be a little like slamming a square peg into a round hole. Carr really needs a WCO of the same vein of Holmgren's to be successful.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, decent QB, a tad overrated. But QB play all over the league is about fit, many have been acting like you could just throw anyone back there and they would be fine. Wilson fits in with this team more than he may on any other team. That's the way it's supposed to be, you build an offense around your QB and his skill set.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dibfe3x said:
Exactly, decent QB, a tad overrated. But QB play all over the league is about fit, many have been acting like you could just throw anyone back there and they would be fine. Wilson fits in with this team more than he may on any other team. That's the way it's supposed to be, you build an offense around your QB and his skill set.
I would say it is less of building the offense around Wilson, and more of this is just the style of offense that Pete likes to play, and Wilson happened to fit the bill. If we look at all of the QB's he has been interested in, they just about all share the same traits -- none of which Carr possesses.

Carroll loves QB's with elite athletic talent, and big arms. This is the overarching theme of his QB choices. Everything else seems to be more of a secondary choice. Hell, Schneider even showed up personally to scout Josh Allen, a QB that is mobile, and has a HUGE arm but has awful accuracy and poor fundamentals. Russ fits into this category as well. While he doesn't have proto-typical height, he has a very strong arm, and he can pick up first downs with his legs, and extend plays with his scrambling. In order to play underneath Pete you need to have a good deep ball, and you need to be able to thrive in chaos, being mobile also seems to be a deal breaker for him. All of which is one of the big reasons why we didn't keep Hasselbeck after 2010, which IMO was the superior QB to T-Jack. Just wasn't a good fit for the type of offense that Pete wanted to play.

Carr is of the same vein as Hasselbeck. He is similar in that he is a rhythmic passer that thrives off of the short passes, and can burn you deep once in awhile. He plays a very structured game and is your traditional pocket passer. One may say he is the prototypical QB of yesteryear. In the right offense that can get you very far, just look at the Drew Brees's and Tom Brady's who are still styling on dudes at advanced ages. We don't run that style of offense though, and we never will under Pete.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points. He is perfect for this team, and I doubt we will have to find out how he would do on another team for quite some time.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":4mh0lumq said:
KiwiHawk":4mh0lumq said:
I also don't agree with the idea, but once again you have forgotten how trades work, Seymour.

The original team eats the entire signing bonus, and there were roster bonuses that front-loaded his contract. Carr's remaining salary would average 19.62M/yr including his 100K workout bonuses, and the Raiders would eat 7.5M in dead cap money.

Certainly cheap in the modern NFL, but also "you get what you pay for".

That was my point.

Also, my point was absolutely not that Carr is as good a QB as RW or a better fit for the Seahawks...

It's that Wilson isn't "twice as good" as Carr.

But most importantly, the point I was making is: I'd put Wilson in the top 10 QB's in the NFL, but he's not top 3... he has glaring flaws he never has addressed and will probably never go away.

That play on the goal line vs Minnesota at the end of the first half is typical RW... he's like the freakin' sequel to Dave Krieg at times... it drives me crazy.

Makes him absolutely not worth the 36 to 42 million dollars per year his baseball agent is going to insist on... that to me is freaking insane. We can't do that, we just can't.

I don't think any QB in the NFL is worth that, not Aaron Rodgers, not Patrick Mahomes, not ... Russel Wilson.

no one

not even Brady or Montana in their prime could win a Superbowl taking over 1/3 of a team's salary cap.

Call me stupid if you will, but I stand by my statement.

I honestly don't think Schneider or Carrol, having gone back to a "run first" philosophy, and having gone through all the drama in the locker-room and seen Wilson's inability to take command of the entire team, ala a Manning or a Brady or a Montana, et. are going to pay him all the money he wants. It would make no freaking sense.

I'm going on record as saying, that Russell Wilson is probably the starting QB for the LV Raiders or the Washington Redskins in 2019 or 2020.

I'm going on record as saying he's not going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.