REPORT: Baker Deal Nearly Done

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm not saying it won't happen, but these "reports" are so often BS. Basically all it takes is for one guy to report it, then everyone else simply re-reports it and suddenly it's all over the place.

Remember the reports that it was down Atlanta or Carolina for Watson? Wouldn't be shocked at all if Baker gets traded to Carolina this week or next.

If Baker does end up in Seattle, that tells us all we need to know about what they've seen so far out of Lock and Geno.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think Pete and John would trade for Baker, they know he's an instant upgrade at QB.

But they're not going to give up what Cleveland wants, so the game of chicken continues. Still what, three weeks until camp starts?

That'll be the poop or get off the pot deadline for this to happen or not.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Especially with Watson out for a year the Browns will want something in return. Anything more than a conditional 7th rd and taking on most of his salary is a massive overpay.

keasley45

Reaction score
There was a bogus report from a Rapaport Tweet saying we traded Lock and 3rds and 4ths next year and in 2024 or something similar.

GemCity

Reaction score
No thanks. Even if the price is right. Trade Russ, include a QB from Denver as part of the trade, then go off and sign Mayfield? With a likely extension attached? With next years draft crop?

I don’t know how much a fanbase can take….

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Especially with Watson out for a year the Browns will want something in return. Anything more than a conditional 7th rd and taking on most of his salary is a massive overpay.

The Browns won't have a choice.

They bet on Watson, and lost. Mayfield's not reporting to camp, and the 2-3 teams like the Hawks even remotely interested in Baker have already told the Browns what they're willing to give up, and it is probably exactly what you said here. A late round pick and half his salary for 2022.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell hands down a two year suspension for Watson, not just one.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
No thanks. Even if the price is right. Trade Russ, include a QB from Denver as part of the trade, then go off and sign Mayfield? With a likely extension attached? With next years draft crop?

I don’t know how much a fanbase can take….
Lock is a back up that's what they wanted him for.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As a Season Ticket Holder since 1997 I can tell you I am much more excited walking into the stadium on gameday knowing Mayfield is behind center over Lock or Smith. I feel with the way the team is being retooled from coaching to players to scheme that he could excel quite well here. And who doesn't want a talented QB with a "prove it" mentality? He's hungry, anxious to prove his doubters wrong and in this system could actually do quite well. I don't get the fans that are like "no thanks." Why not? Worried we will win too many games where we can kiss our potential franchise QB goodbye in the 2023 draft? That's a valid concern. Otherwise, I don't see the issue here, given the contract is palpable.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros I agree completely.

Not so sure though that with two 1sts and 2 2nds in next year's draft that the concern of doing well enough to potentially prejudice the team getting a potential franchise QB in the draft is a legit concern.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah maybe not. I forget we have a decent amount of equity going into next year's draft but you have to admit a bad record makes it even easier.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For sure, but the concern is perhaps exaggerated, out of dislike for Mayfield.

If the trade happens and he plays well then the team will be in the interesting position of having to decide to keep him or allow him to go to FA where a comp pick in 2024 will be the return.

Mayfield would possibly want to stay and may work a team friendly deal, but if not an early(ish) comp. pick is a not bad return.

I have been suspicious for a while the team has been quietly working on something behind the scenes, perhaps this is it.

time will tell.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I don't know. After Russ, I'm kinda over the whole short QB thing. But... I will admit... I do like the energy this guy plays with.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll say it yet again, if the team is going to suck or be average at best, might as well be entertaining. I want the team to WIN. He gives us a better chance than Crock or geNO

Aircrew

Reaction score
I'm with Aros as well. Baker's attitude and toughness have this program written all over it. His numbers were respectable before last season that he, oh by the way, played through with a shoulder injury. I like it, hope it happens, just don't over spend.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
DK and Ty are probably tired of going long on every play like they did with Russ. Mayfield brings a quicker decision maker with the mobility and sense to take what the defense gives him. I'm not taking a shot at Wilson I just think Mayfield is a better quarterback at this point

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Silly season indeed. Now I've heard it all. Baker Mayfield is better than Russell Wilson. I've long since accepted him being traded and it was the best for both sides.
I needed a good laugh today though, so thanks. Been a rough few weeks.