REPORT: Baker Deal Nearly Done

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros I agree completely.

Not so sure though that with two 1sts and 2 2nds in next year's draft that the concern of doing well enough to potentially prejudice the team getting a potential franchise QB in the draft is a legit concern.

I don't think any team should rely on getting a good franchise QB in the draft over a proven above average QB who you think can be successful within your system.

I'm assuming both those last two things with Mayfield. I have no idea if Pete and John think that, I'm just saying that I don't care how many good prospects will be available next draft, I wouldn't have that impact my decision this year if I think I can get a proven QB who I think would fit well in my system and locker room.

keasley45

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is actually somehow worse than Russell Wilson on third down, if memory serves me. He misses receivers on a constant basis.

I have no stats and don't feel like looking up the splits right now, so could be wrong.

Screenshot 20220627 164610 Chrome

Baker on 3rd in 2020. The last full season there's data available for. But he was better in 2020 than 2021...

The dashed line is the NFL average. Vertical grid represents 5 yard increments from the LOS, which is the heavier vertical line, one in from the left.

I'd personally rather take a curve like that from Lock, a young guy who's yet to latch on to a solid offense, than Baker, who has had a pretty potent offense around him... unless we're just picking him up after he's cut and giving him a prove it deal. Cuz homey's go a lot to prove. Particularly after the immature nonsense he was spewing after he caught wind the team was looking to move him.

Bad enough to have questionable ability in terms of xs and os and the physical measurables. Can't afford to be a knucklehead on top of it.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
DK and Ty are probably tired of going long on every play like they did with Russ. Mayfield brings a quicker decision maker with the mobility and sense to take what the defense gives him. I'm not taking a shot at Wilson I just think Mayfield is a better quarterback at this point

OK, I have to disagree with this.

I'm not one of the ones here predicting multi-year disasters for the post-Wilson Seahawks (much less hoping for the post-Wilson Seahawks to suffer much failure like a few on .NET appear to be), and I'm on record here on .NET stating that I think that at some point this season, talking-head mediots will be wondering how the Broncos' offensive line got so much worse so suddenly. I also coined the (admittedly at least slightly unfair, but it still makes me chuckle) nickname "RW3-and-out."

But even though I don't think Wilson going to the Broncos will be as great for the Broncos as many appear to think it will be, nor that it will be as bad for the Seahawks as many appear to think, I sincerely cannot find any decent argument for Mayfield being better than Wilson.

Regarding your arguments specifically, I really don't see Mayfield as being that mobile. As for being quicker at making decisions, it seems to me that the real issue would be some combination of speed and quality of decisions, but I honestly don't have any data on either immediately. The reason I think the combination is better than just the speed is because f a player decides very quickly, but is very frequently wrong in the decisions he makes, that's not a good thing. And I say this without knowing if there are numbers showing Mayfield being faster at decision making than Wilson or vice-versa. What makes you say Mayfield is a quicker decision maker? Do you have any statistical evidence of it? Do you think he's a better decision maker? Why?

In any case, iin terms of actual on-field production, Wilson has been much better than Mayfield, and I don't see any reason to think it'll be otherwise in 2022. Decision making is one of the components of a QB's job, and what actually happens on the plays as a result is what's measured by the various stats. No matter who's a quicker (or better) decision maker, Wilson's actual on-field results have been significantly better than Mayfield's.

Last edited:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It seems insane for the Browns to move him now with Watson's availability in serious question.

keasley45

Reaction score
OK, I have to disagree with this.

I'm not one of the ones here predicting multi-year disasters for the post-Wilson Seahawks (much less hoping for the post-Wilson Seahawks to suffer much failure like a few on .NET appear to be), and I'm on record here on .NET stating that I think that at some point this season, talking-head mediots will be wondering how the Broncos' offensive line got so much worse so suddenly. I also coined the (admittedly at least slightly unfair, but it still makes me chuckle) nickname "RW3-and-out."

But even though I don't think Wilson going to the Broncos will be as great for the Broncos as many appear to think it will be, nor that it will be as bad for the Seahawks as many appear to think, I sincerely cannot find any decent argument for Mayfield being better than Wilson.

Regarding your arguments specifically, I really don't see Mayfield as being that mobile. As for being quicker at making decisions, it seems to me that the real issue would be some combination of speed and quality of decisions, but I honestly don't have any data on either immediately. The reason I think the combination is better than just the speed is because f a player decides very quickly, but is very frequently wrong in the decisions he makes, that's not a good thing. And I say this without knowing if there are numbers showing Mayfield being faster at decision making than Wilson or vice-versa. What makes you say Mayfield is a quicker decision maker? Do you have any statistical evidence of it? Do you think he's a better decision maker? Why?

In any case, iin terms of actual on-field production, Wilson has been much better than Mayfield, and I don't see any reason to think it'll be otherwise in 2022. Decision making is one of the components of a QB's job, and what actually happens on the plays as a result is what's measured by the various stats. No matter who's a quicker (or better) decision maker, Wilson's actual on-field results have been significantly better than Mayfield's.

This every day of the week and three times (and out) on Sunday. We are trading one short, scrambling qb who, despite his flaws, was one of the most clutch qbs in the history of the game in his prime, for one that doesn't have any one part of his game that is unique or distinguished in any way. AND... you'd be trading away the headache and drama of the chameleon / diva, divisive character Russ became for... an immature Baker Mayfield.

That being said, Baker does get the ball out a bit quicker and seems, at least from what you can see on tape, to actually go through progressions in a way Russ didn't. Now, he threw picks at a higher clip than Russ, but that's in large part because Russ woukd just hold the ball until he had a higher percentage money shot downfield in a gap in coverage. Defenses just couldn't hold coverage for as long as he could scramble.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
It seems insane for the Browns to move him now with Watson's availability in serious question.
He's flat out said he won't play for the Browns again, so I don't know that they have a choice.

If I were Baker, I'd pull a Jimmy G and go the way high road, forget I ever said what I did and acted like a knucklehead and ball out for however many games they need me. It rehabs his image and guarantees a bigger pool of interested teams whenever they are ready to move him.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
As a Season Ticket Holder since 1997 I can tell you I am much more excited walking into the stadium on gameday knowing Mayfield is behind center over Lock or Smith. I feel with the way the team is being retooled from coaching to players to scheme that he could excel quite well here. And who doesn't want a talented QB with a "prove it" mentality? He's hungry, anxious to prove his doubters wrong and in this system could actually do quite well. I don't get the fans that are like "no thanks." Why not? Worried we will win too many games where we can kiss our potential franchise QB goodbye in the 2023 draft? That's a valid concern. Otherwise, I don't see the issue here, given the contract is palpable.
Why not?
1. I've already seen Baker too banged up, too often, and he doesn't look much bigger or stronger than he did at Oklahoma.
2. his throwing on the run could be to supplement his field vision, which could be limited, by his (lack of) height
3. at least 3 teams didn't want him, at least at that price.
Indy wanted Ryan more. Cleveland wanted Watson more. McAdoo apparently never was a Baker fan.
No, I'm not worried about future QB draft prospects.
I just think that 'cheapest' is almost always better, and the high priced option involves lots of money spent on advertising, airdrops, or corruption.
If Lock and Eason are cheapest, keep those 2, and no 3rd QB.

rcaido

Reaction score
This is so gross if this is true...I was looking forward to seeing Lock & Geno fail miserably, so we can get a really good high pick in the next draft.

Now we become a team fighting for .500 every year.

He is pretty much the poorman version of injured Wilson minus Ciara.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
A murder of crows will be eaten because of comments on this thread. And I am hoping it’s the other half and not mine.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I just don't see it.

In the past, Pete and John have swung for the fences with Harvin, Graham and Adams.

Mayfield is not in the same class.

CPHawk

Reaction score
This is so gross if this is true...I was looking forward to seeing Lock & Geno fail miserably, so we can get a really good high pick in the next draft.

Now we become a team fighting for .500 every year.

He is pretty much the poorman version of injured Wilson minus Ciara.
The minus Ciara means he might be as good then. Wilson winning percentage went way down once he hooked up with her.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is actually somehow worse than Russell Wilson on third down, if memory serves me. He misses receivers on a constant basis.

I have no stats and don't feel like looking up the splits right now, so could be wrong.
Yes he is terrible..ask Browns fans what they think. Would they really destroy the franchise getting Watson and all his baggage if Mayfield was worth keeping? O'Dells dad got it right...

Cyrus12

Reaction score

Latest posts