Remaining Schedule Average W/L Contenders

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Was interested in the schedules of our WC competitors after realizing our schedule remaining is AWESOME.

Average W/L of remaining schedule (rounded to nearest)

Tampa Bay: 61 - 56
Toronto: 59-57
Baltimore: 59-58
Minnesota: 61-56
Mariners: 52-65

Wow.

No more Astros or Yankees is huge. 9 games against the A's, 7 against the Tigers. Feel like we're in a great position.

Ruminator

Reaction score
That is indeed nice. Schedule makers could just as easily have backloaded powerhouse opponents on the Ms, and while I'm not saying those would have been automatic series losses, that certainly would have been cause for consternation as we jockey to remain at or near the top of the WC race.

Hawker

Reaction score
How odd it is to not face one of our division rivals over the last 10 weeks of the season.

sutz

Reaction score
How odd it is to not face one of our division rivals over the last 10 weeks of the season.
Apparently, they assumed we wouldn't be in contention when they set down the schedule. Given our history, you can't blame them. OTOH, we've had a couple of years in the past 3 or 4 where we were pretty close to being WC contenders in September. Frankly, I can't imagine trying to do an MLB season schedule.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey, I thought they were going to be a playoff contender NEXT year, so this year has been a blast.
If people can't see that this isn't the same old Mariners, they likely won't until October. When they're in the playoffs.

Crizilla

Reaction score
M's played poorly against DET last year hoping for something different

TIMD

Reaction score
THE M'S CANNOT SCORE ANY RUNS AT HOME. THAT IS GOING TO BE A HUGE PROBLEM DOWN THE STRETCH. THEIR OFFENSE IN SAFECO IS ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Want to bump because... it only gets worse for Tampa Bay, Toronto and Baltimore.

Rays play the Yankees 6 times, Astros 6 times, and Blue Jays 9 times.
Blue Jays play the Orioles 10 times, Yankees 3 times Rays 9 times.
Orioles play the Jays 10 times, Yankees 3, and Astros 4

Team (Record) : Average Win-Loss Remaining

Rays (71-57) : 71-58
Blue Jays (70-58) : 66-62
Orioles (67-61) : 65-64
Mariners (71-58) : 58-71

Ruminator

Reaction score
Nice. And the toughest teams the Ms will face in September are Braves, Padres, and Guardians, and of those, only the Braves really concern me. At this point, I think there's a fairly good chance the Ms will have a WC spot locked up before their final series vs the Tigers this October, or maybe after the first or second game of those four games. Would be sweet to have it locked up and not need to break a sweat for at least the last couple of games (unless they decide to try to set up a more favorable match-up in the playoffs, if that were at all in their control).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Again, you can only play who they throw in front of you. Couldn't care less if the Tigers are a bad team or not. You still gotta' lace em up and play the games.
Mariners are in a playoff chase, one day short of September. ENJOY IT :)

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Should we be at least a little concerned that the Mariners seem to play better against good teams not name Astros than they do bad teams?

Ruminator

Reaction score
Should we be at least a little concerned that the Mariners seem to play better against good teams not name Astros than they do bad teams?
Since the teams we'd play in the playoffs are "good teams," then I guess we'd better dust off a spot on the mantle for the World Series trophy!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Since the teams we'd play in the playoffs are "good teams," then I guess we'd better dust off a spot on the mantle for the World Series trophy!
Assuming they make it through the crap teams they have remaining in the regular season with a strong enough record to make the playoffs.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Back in July. And then the Astros returned the favor in August. Astros also swept the Athletics late spring. And there were two other series between the two teams, neither of which incurred a sweep. So, whatever.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Im concerned exactly as much as their average. They are still MLB teams and they haven’t lost every game. But i’d take an ‘easier’ schedule all day. Not to mention the other teams play each other.

Threedee

Reaction score
With only five games against good teams (Braves and Padres), it is a ridiculous remaining schedule. Funny thing is that the Angels have been beasting lately, and the A's have been playing good team hard.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
With only five games against good teams (Braves and Padres), it is a ridiculous remaining schedule. Funny thing is that the Angels have been beasting lately, and the A's have been playing good team hard.
W/L definitely doesn’t tell the whole story. But no games against those 3 other teams or the Astros is just lovely.