Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You if want a blocking WR it won’t be Johnston. Bears would be better off using multiple TE sets
You don’t draft a first round game breaking receiver cause he is a blocking receiver.

You draft him to put fear into opposing defensive coordinators!

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You are correct that it’s too early to set any of this in stone. But if the Bears are #3, I am currently thinking of Johnston or Will Anderson, unless some QB-hungry GM offers a Trey Lance kind of package to move up.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You don’t draft a first round game breaking receiver cause he is a blocking receiver.

You draft him to put fear into opposing defensive coordinators!
True, but if Johnston only needs to improve his blocking, the Bears coaches can work with him on that. As a Bears fan, I can tell you that Eberflus expects WRs to block downfield on running plays, and they really practice hard on it. This is one of the reasons Bears are leading the league in rushing.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
My counter point is, what your opinion on what offensive scheme is best for Feilds vs. what the current Bears coaching staff offensive philosophy are probably completely different. Maybe you are right, but if the coaching staff stays the same then mocking to the current coaching staff makes the most sense.

As far as Johnson is concerned, it's more of a projection at a top-5 pick. Right now, before the NFL Combine and him playing at TCU, then yes, it's too early. But, if he blows up the combine, which is likely, then he is a top-10 WR. If he was at Alabama, he would be in the top-10 on every mock draft on the internet.
Overall, I thought Brents did a good job covering Johnston today. Johnston is not a polished route runner. He relies mostly on his size and speed. If you want to stop a fast
6-4 WR, cover him with a fast 6-4 cornerback like Brents or Woolen.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
True, but if Johnston only needs to improve his blocking, the Bears coaches can work with him on that. As a Bears fan, I can tell you that Eberflus expects WRs to block downfield on running plays, and they really practice hard on it. This is one of the reasons Bears are leading the league in rushing.
Time to sign Hines Ward as your WR coach

Chevy

Reaction score
Overall, I thought Brents did a good job covering Johnston today. Johnston is not a polished route runner. He relies mostly on his size and speed. If you want to stop a fast
6-4 WR, cover him with a fast 6-4 cornerback like Brents or Woolen.
I agree Brents did look good. I had never heard of him until the TCU vs Kansas State game. Brents is a senior so it would be great if we drafted him and had two 6'4" CBs.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It looked to me like Brents was expecting help from the safety on the deep post over the middle that Johnston caught. That was the only play that he got any significant separation from Brents. I had to downgrade Johnston a bit after this game. Now I need to see him beat some good DBs in the playoffs.