QB of the Future

QWERTY

Reaction score
I know that Lock and Geno isn't the answer. But I really don't think it involves the draft as well.

There are 2 intriguing players that JS and PC are probably looking at.

1. Tyler Huntley, and it all depends on the extension with Lamar, and how he does well in 2022-2023 season.

2. Jordan Love. JS loves the organization, and he will do just like what he did with Matt Flynn.

I'm just happy that this organization isn't going to pay 35mill + for a quarterback, when there are many options to get a cheaper option.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.....what makes you think the draft isn't the answer? And is this more of you coming from a place of saying there's other ways to handle to the situation, or us it more of a "I think this is what they are gonna do" type thing?

Personally, I dont really like the idea of Love. He just doesn't do it for me.......and Huntley is kinda a meh for me as well.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
It’s the draft! Jody Allen said to Pete & John after letting Russ go that they can now do what they’re good at the draft & molding young players at least that’s what I thought she said.
Baby steps if we can mold Lock into one of the best back up QBs in the league it‘s a win.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I know that Lock and Geno isn't the answer. But I really don't think it involves the draft as well.

1. Tyler Huntley, and it all depends on the extension with Lamar, and how he does well in 2022-2023 season.

2. Jordan Love. JS loves the organization, and he will do just like what he did with Matt Flynn.

I'm just happy that this organization isn't going to pay 35mill + for a quarterback, when there are many options to get a cheaper option.
We really are getting desperate, what has Love shown EVER?

Huntley is meh for me also

Smellyman

Reaction score
I saw Huntley a lot in college and wasn't too impressed. He came in for Lamar has 3 TDs, 4 picks, a couple of rushing TDs and a fumble. 6'1 198, I will try to find those Bmore games to watch, but I don't see the hype he seems to get.

They could draft someone in the first next year, but who knows, they may like somebody who is projected to go in the later rounds. There will be a lot more quality throughout the draft next year.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Matt Corral and Sam Howell were interesting Sunday.
Lots of unflagged illegal contact, more by the Commanders, and conditions looked life threatening for both QBs and all WRs.
Corral's helmet, ripped off by the facemask, was reluctantly called 'penlty' and one illegal contact finally called set up the winning Panther FG.
Howell looked better than Bryce Young, CJ Strout, and Kenny Pickett.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I would rather get Trace McSorley away from the Cards than get Love. McSorley is a gamer.

KinesProf

Reaction score
They better damn well capitalize on a draft where they have four picks in the top 60 or better, and depending on who declares, a QB class that could feature Young, Stroud, Levis, Van Dyke and Richardson.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Huntley? Love? We're better off just rolling with Lock and Geno if those are the options. At least Lock and Geno don't cost draft picks. Love has more interceptions in his career than touchdowns. He hasn't looked great in preseason or regular season. He's going into his third year, but honestly from what I've seen of him in game action -- he looks pretty underwhelming thus far.

If the Packers are willing to part with Love after spending a first on him for a low draft pick, I think that says a whole lot about Love as a player. No thank you.

Our QB of the future likely lies in the 2023 NFL draft. Lock and Geno are most likely mere placeholders. Lock is most likely seen as our hail mary developmental prospect this year.

We should just roll with what we got at this point.

John63

Reaction score

Be prepared for the revolving door of QBs. When we eventually in 5 + years or so find a good one, we will keep him for 4 years, and then let him go and wait for 5+ , or more years to do it again. But hey I guess we are all okay with having 5+ years of nothing to have 4 years of maybe something.

chrispy

Reaction score
It seems, to me, like we don't really need to do much guesswork around how JS/PC are going to handle the QB situation.

In 2012, they brought in Flynn, kept TJack and drafted Wilson to, all 3, compete in pre-season and camp. If that would have blown up into a terrible mess, I could understand why we might not expect them to follow the same recipe. But, with the benefit of retrospect, why would they change that formula?

They're already telegraphing. In 2011, they (edit- Thanks Spin Doc) signed Tarvaris Jackson and had previously traded for Charlie Whitehurst (2 middling career backups) to compete during TC and pre-season. TJack won the competition and was part of the following year's competition. Is it only me that sees the similarity to 2022?

PS
Funny to go back and look at pre-season game #1 2011.

Big deficit at the half with a comeback in 2nd.
Meh play from starting QB but 2nd half QB looked better against non-starters
Brandon Browner was big new CB
Kam stood out in first game

... remember "checkdown Charlie" and how we all got frustrated he never went big downfield. Now, for the past 10 years, we've all seen the slants/crosses and flat as easy gains but always ignored.... I had totally forgotten about that nickname and only remembered him as clipboard Jesus.... Good ole Charlie....

Last edited:

John63

Reaction score
It’s the draft! Jody Allen said to Pete & John after letting Russ go that they can now do what they’re good at the draft & molding young players at least that’s what I thought she said.
Baby steps if we can mold Lock into one of the best back up QBs in the league it‘s a win.
Ahh remind me again with this draft class being an unknown when was the last really good draft class? FYI great means Pro bowl or better level play for 2+ years

Let see
2021 3 draftees none doing anything
2020 8 draftees 1 could be good, 2 maybe the rest nope
2019 11 draftees 1 great, 1 maybe the rest nope
2018 9 draftees 1 great(a punter) the rest nope(I am counting Penny here as he cant stay healthy)
2017 11 draftees none anything better than a sub
2016 10 draftees none better than a sub with an occasional decent year(Collins)
2015 8 draftees 1 great, 1 good(not with the team though) the rest nope

So lets see out of 60 picks 3 great2 maybes not great

The last time they had a great draft was 2012 Irvin, Wagner, Wilson, Lane, Sweezy(well maybe lol)

As we have moved farther away from PCs time in college our drafts have gotten worse.

We will see about this years draftees.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm not even going to go into this in depth because it's a dishonest representation with abhorrent spelling, but him calling Shaquill Griffin a sub is all you need to observe to know that this analysis is tilted to hell.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It seems, to me, like we don't really need to do much guesswork around how JS/PC are going to handle the QB situation.

In 2012, they brought in Flynn, kept TJack and drafted Wilson to, all 3, compete in pre-season and camp. If that would have blown up into a terrible mess, I could understand why we might not expect them to follow the same recipe. But, with the benefit of retrospect, why would they change that formula?

They're already telegraphing. In 2011, they signed Charlie Whitehurst and Tarvaris Jackson (2 middling career backups) to compete during TC and pre-season. TJack won the competition and was part of the following year's competition. Is it only me that sees the similarity to 2022?

PS
Funny to go back and look at pre-season game #1 2011.

Big deficit at the half with a comeback in 2nd.
Meh play from starting QB but 2nd half QB looked better against non-starters
Brandon Browner was big new CB
Kam stood out in first game

... remember "checkdown Charlie" and how we all got frustrated he never went big downfield. Now, for the past 10 years, we've all seen the slants/crosses and flat as easy gains but always ignored.... I had totally forgotten about that nickname and only remembered him as clipboard Jesus.... Good ole Charlie....

We traded for Charlie Whitehurst in 2010, remember -- he got us into the playoffs.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Be prepared for the revolving door of QBs. When we eventually in 5 + years or so find a good one, we will keep him for 4 years, and then let him go and wait for 5+ , or more years to do it again. But hey I guess we are all okay with having 5+ years of nothing to have 4 years of maybe something.

I actually don't mind the idea of a 4-5 year revolving QB approach, and am curious if any team is eventually going to be bold enough to do it.

The best value in sports is a big time QB on a rookie deal. Whereas a QB being paid like an All-Pro/MVP when they are not that level of player can become a bit of an albatross; that while raising a team's floor, also lowers it's ceiling.

Allocate your resources throughout the roster to make it as talented and robust as possible, and draft a QB every 4-5 years and then sell high if the player is a star towards the end of his entry level deal - kind of like a college incoming/outgoing rotation. Bold, given how sentimental fans can become about the QB, but I wouldn't turn my nose at the idea.

It seemed like the Hawks were kind of knocking on the door of this philosophy given their reported interest in Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes when they were in the draft.

John63

Reaction score
I actually don't mind the idea of a 4-5 year revolving QB approach, and am curious if any team is eventually going to be bold enough to do it.

The best value in sports is a big time QB on a rookie deal. Whereas a QB being paid like an All-Pro/MVP when they are not that level of player can become a bit of an albatross; that while raising a team's floor, also lowers it's ceiling.

Allocate your resources throughout the roster to make it as talented and robust as possible, and draft a QB every 4-5 years and then sell high if the player is a star towards the end of his entry level deal - kind of like a college incoming/outgoing rotation. Bold, given how sentimental fans can become about the QB, but I wouldn't turn my nose at the idea.

It seemed like the Hawks were kind of knocking on the door of this philosophy given their reported interest in Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes when they were in the draft.
The bigger question is can it even work? The history of teams with a revolving door at Qb is not good. It also impacts Fa.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Love just dropped 3 INTs in a preseason game. If Lock gives a ho hum season, the Seahawks will draft a QB with the 1st pick.

And there are no other options.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Geno and Lock are not likely our QB of the future, but I cannot help but wonder how the Steelers and their fans feel about nearly being beat by these two "horrible" or "trash" QBs.

If Lock doesn't step up, we'll see more competition next year, whether it is through the draft, FA, or both. PC and JS have never had a revolving door at QB, so why would someone expect that to start? It's ridiculous and nearly moronic to only cite the history that suits one's narrative.

Fade

Reaction score

If it was that easy no one would pay a QB. Just go into the draft and get a cheaper option.