Pryor to the practice squad?

Cartire

Reaction score
I dont think you guys get it. This is what I have been saying forever. We are keeping 3 QBs. And were doing it because its a numbers game. You have limit snaps during practice. Pryor is still an amazing scout QB. Were not concerned with defending Kaep, and Cams, and all the quick QBs passing. Were concerned with keeping them contained. Thats all. What better player to practice against then your very own version.

Deadspins 'Why your team sucks' feature said exactly that while trying to make fun of us for it. But its true. And I dont see it as a mistake. Its our biggest weakness, and most the NFL's. Being able to take valuable practice snaps against the real deal makes it easier to counter in real games.

Its genius move that will get herald for years after Pete gets his three-pete.

Me new beer is amazing. Clocked in at 7.8% too.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Cartire":29wqthoa said:
I dont think you guys get it. This is what I have been saying forever. We are keeping 3 QBs. And were doing it because its a numbers game. You have limit snaps during practice. Pryor is still an amazing scout QB. Were not concerned with defending Kaep and Cams and all the quick QBs that are appearings passing. Were concerned with keeping them contained. Thats all. What better player to practice against then your very own version.

Deadspins 'Why your team sucks' feature said exactly that while trying to make fun of us for it. But its true. And I dont see it as a mistake. Its our biggest weakness, and most the NFL's. Being able to take valuable practice snaps against the real deal makes it easier to counter in real games.

And Pryor can perfectly emulate Colin Kaepernick's inability to complete a pass in the fourth quarter.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":18f8esm5 said:
I dont think you guys get it. This is what I have been saying forever. We are keeping 3 QBs. And were doing it because its a numbers game. You have limit snaps during practice. Pryor is still an amazing scout QB. Were not concerned with defending Kaep, and Cams, and all the quick QBs passing. Were concerned with keeping them contained. Thats all. What better player to practice against then your very own version.

Right, so we waste a roster spot for a guy , so he pretend to be somebody else when we can just keep BJ on the PS and do the same thing, that would be stupid

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Pryor was thinking on that INT? He had, I think, Kevin Smith wide open for a first down. But instead elected to throw a duck into triple coverage? :pukeface:

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Comments:

-With the recent rule change that allows two players with two accrued seasons, Pryor is eligible for the practice squad. He has been in the league for three seasons, but only has one acrued season, last year, where he played in over six games.

-It is very unlikely that he will clear waivers, or if he clears, he will immediately get signed by another team at a lower salary. If we cut him , we will lose him.

-There might be some trade value later in the season if they keep him.

-Without Michael Robinson, what do we do when both Russell Wilson and Tavaris Jackson get hurt?

-if Pryor is a true game insurance as a third string alternative, he probably needs to take up a spot on the 46-man active roster, which means less room for players like Christine Michael. It also means cutting an extra player, like Heath Farwell or Kiero Small in order to make room for him on the 53-man roster.

-With what he showed in Oakland last year and the limited glimpses we have seen in pre-season, talent-wise, he might be the best running quarterback in the league, if not of all time.

-Pryor's running ability would be good when they have a big lead and are running the ball to run time off the clock. There are probably some other special plays they can devise for a running QB where they don't want to put Russell Wilson at risk

-He received very poor passer training at Ohio State, then Oakland; but should have had excellent training under Carl Smith and with Russell Wilson and Tavaris Jackson,

-it is not too late for him to be a third string QB *AND* a small TE or big receiver. Right now, the Hawks do not have a big receiver. Luke Willson plays very small -- he has shown a tiny bit of speed in those dink rollout passes to him in the flat, but does not catch the ball well in front of his body with his thumbs pointing in, let alone jumping up for a ball or catching it in traffic, and he doesn't do fades or back shoulder passes, nothing remotely close. I don't think Willson will ever do *any* of that tall pass catcher stuff even adequately. Pryor is athletic enough that he would be better at it right off the bat than Willson will ever be. I also really, really liked what I saw with him running in the open field against San Diego last week - that's what he would look like after catching one of those Luke Willson dink passes. I think there is a chance Pete Carroll can talk him into it -- e.g. he can help the team win another Super Bowl; he will play instead of sitting on the bench; it mght be great for his career; he mght get cut if he doesn't agree to it. It would just be a trial, an experiment, so what does he have to lose?

-Having just turned 25, he is on the knifes edge. He is still young, but just barely. Next year, he will not be considered young. He has to take a realistic look at his career and the chances of ever becoming a starting QB. I thought he had a chance to break through, but now I think he doesn't quite have it. He is still young enough, barely, to learn a new position, where he might become a star.

-He has spent hundreds of hours in the film room and practice field leaning the Seahawk offense. If he is picked up by another team, it would be a completely new offense and fans crucify QBs who are not successful. He would again be a backup, the new team would probably not be nearly as good as the Seahawks and he might get the same terrible coaching he got in Oakland. Seattle s a great team to be with, especially if he can help help them win another championship, and going to another team is a huge negatve risk for him.

-Right now, I would bet that the Seahawks will keep Terrell Pryor as their third string quarterback.

-Tavaris Jackson is a better quarterback, by a huge margin, than he was in 2011 when he started for us. I don't know what it was, but he clicked last pre-season -- maybe his shoulder finally healed enough, but more likely it was because of the confidence he gained after his teammates all advocated for his return. It's not just his ridiculous off the charts passer ratings, it's from analysis of his game and how he has played the position. He is the best backup in the league, and would now, compared to 2011, make a solid starter in the NFL. The Seahawks should extend his contract before the start of the season.

-Richard Pryor doesn't suck. He is one of the best, if not the greatest, comedians of all time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
daveman918":1bl0lgoh said:
Please end the Pryor experiment ... Please!!!
That's probably what the Colts fans had to say about LUCK tonight after he threw a ball up for grabs, and wound up being picked off EXACTLY like PRYOR did yesterday.
Even the BEST, of the very BEST, of the PRIMO cant miss EXTRAORDINARY makes dumb plays, it happens to ALL of them sooner or later, it just does.
Just because Jackson didn't throw a pick, his play wasn't anything that stood out as anything spectacular.
He was just lucky that his pass to P-RICH wasn't picked off, as it was thrown a little late, and too short to boot, AND, he's been playing for Bevel for a long time now, and he's thrown plenty of picks.
Not getting completely down on Jackson, but, this romping on Pryor by a lot of people around here, after only being with the Seahawks for a few short Months, is goofy.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bob_the_Destroyer":21rszznx said:
Comments:

-With the recent rule change that allows two players with two accrued seasons, Pryor is eligible for the practice squad. He has been in the league for three seasons, but only has one acrued season, last year, where he played in over six games.

-It is very unlikely that he will clear waivers, or if he clears, he will immediately get signed by another team at a lower salary. If we cut him , we will lose him.

-There might be some trade value later in the season if they keep him.

-Without Michael Robinson, what do we do when both Russell Wilson and Tavaris Jackson get hurt?

-if Pryor is a true game insurance as a third string alternative, he probably needs to take up a spot on the 46-man active roster, which means less room for players like Christine Michael. It also means cutting an extra player, like Heath Farwell or Kiero Small in order to make room for him on the 53-man roster.

-With what he showed in Oakland last year and the limited glimpses we have seen in pre-season, talent-wise, he might be the best running quarterback in the league, if not of all time.

-Pryor's running ability would be good when they have a big lead and are running the ball to run time off the clock. There are probably some other special plays they can devise for a running QB where they don't want to put Russell Wilson at risk

-He received very poor passer training at Ohio State, then Oakland; but should have had excellent training under Carl Smith and with Russell Wilson and Tavaris Jackson,

-it is not too late for him to be a third string QB *AND* a small TE or big receiver. Right now, the Hawks do not have a big receiver. Luke Willson plays very small -- he has shown a tiny bit of speed in those dink rollout passes to him in the flat, but does not catch the ball well in front of his body with his thumbs pointing in, let alone jumping up for a ball or catching it in traffic, and he doesn't do fades or back shoulder passes, nothing remotely close. I don't think Willson will ever do *any* of that tall pass catcher stuff even adequately. Pryor is athletic enough that he would be better at it right off the bat than Willson will ever be. I also really, really liked what I saw with him running in the open field against San Diego last week - that's what he would look like after catching one of those Luke Willson dink passes. I think there is a chance Pete Carroll can talk him into it -- e.g. he can help the team win another Super Bowl; he will play instead of sitting on the bench; it mght be great for his career; he mght get cut if he doesn't agree to it. It would just be a trial, an experiment, so what does he have to lose?

-Having just turned 25, he is on the knifes edge. He is still young, but just barely. Next year, he will not be considered young. He has to take a realistic look at his career and the chances of ever becoming a starting QB. I thought he had a chance to break through, but now I think he doesn't quite have it. He is still young enough, barely, to learn a new position, where he might become a star.

-He has spent hundreds of hours in the film room and practice field leaning the Seahawk offense. If he is picked up by another team, it would be a completely new offense and fans crucify QBs who are not successful. He would again be a backup, the new team would probably not be nearly as good as the Seahawks and he might get the same terrible coaching he got in Oakland. Seattle s a great team to be with, especially if he can help help them win another championship, and going to another team is a huge negatve risk for him.

-Right now, I would bet that the Seahawks will keep Terrell Pryor as their third string quarterback.

-Tavaris Jackson is a better quarterback, by a huge margin, than he was in 2011 when he started for us. I don't know what it was, but he clicked last pre-season -- maybe his shoulder finally healed enough, but more likely it was because of the confidence he gained after his teammates all advocated for his return. It's not just his ridiculous off the charts passer ratings, it's from analysis of his game and how he has played the position. He is the best backup in the league, and would now, compared to 2011, make a solid starter in the NFL. The Seahawks should extend his contract before the start of the season.

-Richard Pryor doesn't suck. He is one of the best, if not the greatest, comedians of all time.

were to start

He has to many starts the rules for PS do not apply to him.

You are right if we cut him we will loose, him thankfully

There might be some trade and there might not, he is an FA after this year and its not worth the gamble on a roster spot.

Kam was a QB, and there are always ones available on the market, if we loose both Rw and TJ we are done anyway.

Correct for him to be a 3rd string he needs to be on the final roster and with that being the case it is waste of a spot.

Great he can run, but he plays QB and is a horrible passer.

Yes when we want to run out the clock but that is not worth a roster spot

He is an FA after this season, is not going to resign, why train someone else's QB and get nothing and have them take up a roster spot, WE will give a lot and get nothing, NO

TP has said he is A QB he will not change position he has also said he cannot catch, so NO

He wants to be a starting QB and is unwilling to do anything else. So again NO

Dude people are picked up all the time form other teams after hours the film room please, worst reason ever.

I hope you are wrong because he is a waste of a roster spot at QB

I agree on Richard Pryor

so in other words SAY NO TO T. Pryor

Anthony!

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3qw57tk4 said:
daveman918":3qw57tk4 said:
That's probably what the Colts fans had to say about LUCK tonight after he threw a ball up for grabs, and wound up being picked off EXACTLY like PRYOR did yesterday.
Even the BEST, of the very BEST, of the PRIMO cant miss EXTRAORDINARY makes dumb plays, it happens to ALL of them sooner or later, it just does.
Just because Jackson didn't throw a pick, his play wasn't anything that stood out as anything spectacular.
He was just lucky that his pass to P-RICH wasn't picked off, as it was thrown a little late, and too short to boot, AND, he's been playing for Bevel for a long time now, and he's thrown plenty of picks.
Not getting completely down on Jackson, but, this romping on Pryor by a lot of people around here, after only being with the Seahawks for a few short Months, is goofy.

Due Luck at least has some house money he has had a good season or so. TP has had nothing and done nothing for us

again

10-22, 2 ints, 0 tds, qb rating 35, 147 yards

That is awful.

His career stats

56% complt, 9 tds, 12 ints, qb Rating 69

That's awful

He has been with us for the whole preseason to date and has shown nothing other than eh can run, b8ut he is a QB who cannot throw. time to get rid of the waste3 of space wearing #2

oh and yes TJs numbers are better.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1dn63twg said:
daveman918":1dn63twg said:
The "romping" on Pryor is well warranted my friend. The masses discontentment with his play does not stem from his time with the Seahawks. It goes back all the way to his days at THE OHIO STATE. Ever since college he has looked like an athlete, not a Quarterback. There is a monumental difference between the two. When he started for the Raiders he looked like the same exact player. Poor accuracy, terrible mechanics, awful pocket presence, questionable deep ball, mediocre leadership. This preseason he has not shown he has changed one bit. Yeah, Pryor can run but he hasn't shown he can do anything more than that. Pryor is not a Quarterback in this league, he is a less compelling, not as good version of Tim Tebow.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1etdn5sq said:
scutterhawk":1etdn5sq said:
daveman918":1etdn5sq said:
The "romping" on Pryor is well warranted my friend. The masses discontentment with his play does not stem from his time with the Seahawks. It goes back all the way to his days at THE OHIO STATE. Ever since college he has looked like an athlete, not a Quarterback. There is a monumental difference between the two. When he started for the Raiders he looked like the same exact player. Poor accuracy, terrible mechanics, awful pocket presence, questionable deep ball, mediocre leadership. This preseason he has not shown he has changed one bit. Yeah, Pryor can run but he hasn't shown he can do anything more than that. Pryor is not a Quarterback in this league, he is a less compelling, not as good version of Tim Tebow.
Well suppose you get up into Pete's ear and tell him that he's wasting valuable time with Pryor.
I could care less that the fans in here are discontent with Pryor, because If Pete, in his estimation, feels that Pryor is CAPABLE of progressing to the next level, I will hang a tag on whatever Pete decides.
What he (Pryor) did as a College Jock has no bearing on this issue whatsoever, BECAUSE, it's apparent (to me at least) that they disagree with your assessment that he's "Not A Quarterback), AND if Carroll and Bevel feel that he's progressing enough, I can see them giving him a little more time to put it together.
So, with Pete's evaluation of Pryor in the picture, that "romping" by some fans is meaningless, and until Pete and Co. says the experiment has come to an end, I will hang with their expertise on the matter.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
scutterhawk":20pq6k3m said:
daveman918":20pq6k3m said:

With Luck it's an anomaly. With Pryor this happens on a regular basis. Luck can take his team to the playoffs, as he has done in both of his two years with the Colts. Pryor can't lead his own butt to the the toilet.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3lhnchia said:
scutterhawk":3lhnchia said:
daveman918":3lhnchia said:

With Luck it's an anomaly. With Pryor this happens on a regular basis. Luck can take his team to the playoffs, as he has done in both of his two years with the Colts. Pryor can't lead his own butt to the the toilet.

uuhhhh, Lucks Interceptions are hardly an anomaly. The guy threw 7 in 2 playoff games. SEVEN. I mean, no other QB, besides manning or brady, could get away with 7 in 2 games and still be slobbered over in the process.

SEVEN

Pryor through one in a preseason game and this place goes bananas.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cartire":25oa1q4m said:
hawkfan68":25oa1q4m said:
scutterhawk":25oa1q4m said:
daveman918":25oa1q4m said:

uuhhhh, Lucks Interceptions are hardly an anomaly. The guy threw 7 in 2 playoff games. SEVEN. I mean, no other QB, besides manning or brady, could get away with 7 in 2 games and still be slobbered over in the process.

SEVEN

Note the the bolded area....how many playoff games has Pryor been involved in? Exactly.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23u146jc said:
Cartire":23u146jc said:

SEVEN

Note the the bolded area....how many playoff games has Pryor been involved in? Exactly.

wait wait wait. You are holding the abysmal play and management of the Oakland Raiders against Pryor. Really? I mean, no QB could play for the raiders and make it to the playoffs. Including a Manning or Brady. Thats a silly point to make.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cartire":3ghlclsa said:
hawkfan68":3ghlclsa said:
Cartire":3ghlclsa said:

SEVEN

wait wait wait. You are holding the abysmal play and management of the Oakland Raiders against Pryor. Really? I mean, no QB could play for the raiders and make it to the playoffs. Including a Manning or Brady. Thats a silly point to make.

Comparing Pryor to Luck is silly to begin with. Luck has proven he can be successful in the NFL. Pryor has not. The Colts were a 2 win team when Luck took over. He took them to the playoffs both his years at the helm. In 2011, Carson Palmer led Oakland Raiders to 8-8 record. Not great but better than 4-12 as they have been the past two years. So yes Manning or Brady could lead the Raiders to the playoffs , IMO. That would be more to do with Manning and Brady's abilities than the Raiders. To exclude Pryor from Raiders as a problem is misguided. He was very much a part of why the Raiders stunk.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3gbss4fo said:
Cartire":3gbss4fo said:
hawkfan68":3gbss4fo said:
Cartire":3gbss4fo said:

SEVEN

Comparing Pryor to Luck is silly to begin with. Luck has proven he can be successful in the NFL. Pryor has not. The Colts were a 2 win team when Luck took over. He took them to the playoffs both his years at the helm. In 2011, Carson Palmer led Oakland Raiders to 8-8 record. Not great but better than 4-12 as they have been the past two years. So yes Manning or Brady could lead the Raiders to the playoffs , IMO. That would be more to do with Manning and Brady's abilities than the Raiders. To exclude Pryor from Raiders as a problem is misguided. He was very much a part of why the Raiders stunk.

First, the 2 wins to playoffs is not all on Luck regardless of the media narrative. They play in the worst division, in the worst conference.

Second, Im not comparing them in skill. But I am comparing the narrative. Pryor throws one pick here, and its game over. Luck throws pick after pick, and well, you see.

Third. Pryor wasnt even the starter going into the season. He hasnt had a single full season playing without constant turmoil from his coaching staff and team. Go ahead and imagine luck starting for the Raiders in 2012 to now. Yeah, Im not buying they get to the playoffs. Not a chance.

Its so easy to write off someone if they screw up right away, but if they are considered a star before they prove it, they get chance, after chance, after chance, after chance.

Again, Im not advocating Pryor as a great QB. Im really not. But his skillset is unique. It is something that can be useful in practice. And hes not as bad as the narrative claims. He had some real good games in Oakland. And thats a feat in itself.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cartire":13kjcoiz said:
First, the 2 wins to playoffs is not all on Luck regardless of the media narrative. They play in the worst division, in the worst conference.

Second, Im not comparing them in skill. But I am comparing the narrative. Pryor throws one pick here, and its game over. Luck throws pick after pick, and well, you see.

Third. Pryor wasnt even the starter going into the season. He hasnt had a single full season playing without constant turmoil from his coaching staff and team. Go ahead and imagine luck starting for the Raiders in 2012 to now. Yeah, Im not buying they get to the playoffs. Not a chance.

Its so easy to write off someone if they screw up right away, but if they are considered a star before they prove it, they get chance, after chance, after chance, after chance.

Again, Im not advocating Pryor as a great QB. Im really not. But his skillset is unique. It is something that can be useful in practice. And hes not as bad as the narrative claims. He had some real good games in Oakland. And thats a feat in itself.

Great is not a part of the conversation with Pryor. He's not even good at this point. What I've seen from him as a Seahawk doesn't give me confidence that he's even a capable backup. He's definitely not one of the top 53 guys on the team at this point. That is certain.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":22kpjns7 said:
Cartire":22kpjns7 said:

Great is not a part of the conversation with Pryor. He's not even good at this point. What I've seen from him as a Seahawk doesn't give me confidence that he's even a capable backup. He's definitely not one of the top 53 guys on the team at this point. That is certain.

Youve seen 3 partial preseason games with him as a seahawk. That is hardly enough to evaluate anyone, from a fan perspective. The 40 minute of game time we have seen from him is not nearly enough to create an informed opinion.

I watched every game he played in last year. And he looked really good at time, and really poor at others.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2m22wboy said:
Cartire":2m22wboy said:
hawkfan68":2m22wboy said:
Cartire":2m22wboy said:

SEVEN

Your pissed off "OPINION" is all ya got.
I know you don't like being proven wrong, nobody does, but because you don't like Pryor, you're over criticizing to try and make your point.
The very FACT that Pete Carroll has extended Pryor the opportunities to show that he can follow the system.
Almost everyone in here that criticize Pryor for not being a great pocket passer, are missing the whole damned point.
Russell Wilson isn't being ranked as high as Luck, Kaepernick, Rodgers, Manning, Breese, nor Brady, and in fact, he's not even in the top ten right now, and that's because of the Seahawks "Run First" perception.
My point being, All those other Quarterbacks that are ranked ahead of RW, are being touted for their PASSING STATS.
Russell Wilson has what it takes to be a prolific passer, BUT, that's NOT what the Seahawks want from him.
They want a passer who can scramble if necessary, and buy time for the Receivers to come open, OR, can take off with the ball when the play breaks down, and Pete & company are looking for a backup with wheels, because that's the recipe that has been working so well with Russell Wilson.
I believe Pryor has the wheels, and the athleticism to fill the bill.
NOW, can Pryor be reconditioned in his mechanics, and can he learn to make better reads?, who knows, but that's what Carroll and Bevel are trying to ascertain.
I don't know for certain, and neither do you, that he can or can't, but I will reiterate, until I hear Pete say he's done with the Pryor experiment, I'm going to hang with their decision on who they keep, or let go of.