Premature declaration: Lock may be the perfect PeteBall QB for '22

toffee

Reaction score
Off season fun, I am prematurely declaring that Lock will be that perfect PeteBall QB for 2022 season. Here're why:
  1. PeteBall is all about balance, Lock won't be asked to carry the team. PeteBall's emphasis on running game, and we do have Penny and company. Our RBs will benefit from Waldron's more creative schemes, not just straight up between tackles. If Penny can be, heck, 60% as effective as his last few games, we have a feature back capable of over 100 yards per game.
  2. A strong running game empowers play-action, which Lock has proven to be good at, his QB rating under playaction was 120.5, 7 TD, 0 int, and 69.6% completion. https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/1/7/22219181/drew-lock-elite-playaction-2020
  3. Pocket time, Lock had 2.4 seconds of pocket time in Denver, same as what Russ had in 2021. 2.4 seconds is a lot, more then Rodgers, Big ben, and Brady had, same as Mahomes had. Locked suffered 24% QB pressure, Russ 29%, sounded like Lock got rid of the ball faster, or at least more willing.
  4. For PeteBall to work, the QB need to go deep to keep the defense honest. Lock has strong arms, probably not as good as Russ's, but may be good enough.
  5. Chips on shoulder, Lock has been label a bust. OK that chip is still way smaller than Russ's, after all, Russ's father went to an Ivy league school, his sister went to Stanford, he went to NC state. That's like he was the certified dumb ass of the family. But that 'bust' chip ought to motive Lock.
  6. All in coachable, no reason to think that Lock won't be coachable, in fact, probably very eager to learn.
Lock's game has holes, no doubt about that, and he ready admit that his game needs work and willing to work on them. I think at $2m, Lock is the prefect Peteball QB for this season.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Excellent breakdown.

Lock is a good QB, and this is a great opportunity for this young man to shine. If he can limit those silly interceptions, he will have a productive season and surprise a lot of people.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I agree with some of your points, but it's not that impressive of a stage for Lock that you are presenting.

You are basically saying Pete doesn't let good QB's play so Lock will fit right in!

I agree with your first 3 points.

4th point no way his arm is as good as Wilson for deep accurate balls from what I'm expecting.

5th and 6th points I also agree but it's really not anything special for a QB. You would expect a QB that sucks to have a chip on his shoulder. I would question how well he can learn though if he sucks that bad.

It sounds like in your "perfect Peteball" scenario we are probably looking at a team that will win 1 or less games in the playoffs if they even make it. That's really not inspiring to me, it's the same old loser story.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I mean another way to put it, think about being Drew Lock and you not only get traded for another QB (if you beleive in yourself that should be a fair trade)...

but they also threw in 2 1st round picks, 2nd round picks, a 1st round TE PICK, a serviceable (probably really good DE), and a 5th round pick for their 4th rounder...

Denver really said you are worth like 1 player and Wilson is worth 7???

I mean I don't think this guy is the answer but I wouldn't mind if he has a better season than Wilson haha.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing about Lock is that he will be coachable. Russ would always scout the other team and give his reports outs to the other players, then host offseason 'camps' at his home in San Diego. Not having that competing voice in the locker room will help the offense gain continuity and play as a unit.

I'm expecting some growing pains from Lock (and the new defense) as he gets used to the new system and personnel, but by week 8 we should start putting together some solid stretches of play and finish the season strong.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I appreciate the research and detailed case for Lock.

But if we're describing what QB fits into Peteball, of which I assume is an offense and QB that protects the ball, is above average at play action to play off a strong run game and can read defenses well in order to get the ball out on time to the correct receiver?

That's not a young QB still learning how to read defenses and is turnover prone.

That's probably a more veteran QB, thus why Pete's been talking up Geno this past month as the frontrunner to start if he comes back.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
This sounds all fine and dandy but in order to win in Carroll’s philosophy with the run game and defense, both the run game and defense needs to be excellent. Almost elite level.

I have more faith in Carroll rebuilding this defense than Carroll building an elite run game again.

Carroll hasn’t had a consistent run game for a full season since Marshawn and he has been attempting to find Lynch’s production in a successor since Lynch.

Carson has a portion of the regular season, and then injuries limits him.

Penny, everyone knows about Penny.

Going to be hard to run the ball effectively throughout the year without consistency.

Carroll still doesn’t have a consistent run game and Drew Lock will absolutely need that to succeed.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm on board, assuming they're waiting to draft a QB until 2023.

But I really hope the Hawks add another RB at or before their third-round pick. Trusting Penny (or Carson) is a very bad idea, and he's not really a physical, tone setter. Even if Penny is healthy and great, they still need another punishing runner. Peteball no worky without a dude like that, especially if you don't have a QB you can ask too much of.

And I know we like to bring up the last two weeks against an awful Lions team and a sinking Cardinals squad; but in that instance we're conveniently overlooking the abortion against the Bears the week before. I know the hero-ball sack Russ took was game-changing, but I think a punisher runner could have made a difference, too.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
PeteBall is about leaning on the defense and using the offense to control the clock/game.

To lean on the defense you need the defense to be good, ours was so bad we got our DC fired. We are switching scheme to a new defense with a raft of new players.

I understand that leaning on the defense always worked for Pete. (Generally back when our defense was flush with All-Pro/HOF players).

But it feels like we are going to be fed a steady diet of TyBall. We will see.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"I understand that leaning on the defense always worked for Pete. (Generally back when our defense was flush with All-Pro/HOF players)."

Twisted, is it fair to say those guys were not All-Pro/HOF players until AFTER their successful rise as the LOB team?

Seems about as likely the makeup of this years defensive roster could meld and become a new age LOB as the first one did.

As for Lock being the perfect QB in the current team situation, any QB benefits from a strong running game. Question is will he be able to capitalize better than a more experienced player would. Does he have superior skills compared to whoever he will be competing against for PT? I don't see evidence yet which suggests that is a given.

Last edited:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Would anyone take this from Lock?:

3500 passing yards, 24 TDs, 11 Ints

If you said yes… these numbers are just Lock’s rookie numbers prorated into 17 games. Looks a lot similar to Russ’s first 3 seasons.

Just think if Lock gets 20 TDs, Seahawks are paying him only $75,000 per TD.

So Lock being so cheap makes it worth it to see what he can do. His production could be worth 10x more than a number of veteran QBs that make $30m+ a year. Those guys have to hit at least 40 TDs and it will cost teams at least $750,000 per TD.

I think if Lock can hit 3500-4000 yards, 25-30 TDs while keeping his Ints between 12-15 then justifiably his production would pay off like 2/3rds if not more of Russ’s dead cap. That’s a big IF though but you get the idea and if it happens then the trade becomes so much better for the Seahawks.

Last edited:

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pete made it clear Lock has the intangibles they look for and seemingly were high on him in the draft, he just has done a terrible job protecting the football in the NFL. I'd think it's his job to lose at this point and Pete believes Geno can step in if needed to run a vanilla system.

keasley45

Reaction score
This sounds all fine and dandy but in order to win in Carroll’s philosophy with the run game and defense, both the run game and defense needs to be excellent. Almost elite level.

I have more faith in Carroll rebuilding this defense than Carroll building an elite run game again.

Carroll hasn’t had a consistent run game for a full season since Marshawn and he has been attempting to find Lynch’s production in a successor since Lynch.

Carson has a portion of the regular season, and then injuries limits him.

Penny, everyone knows about Penny.

Going to be hard to run the ball effectively throughout the year without consistency.

Carroll still doesn’t have a consistent run game and Drew Lock will absolutely need that to succeed.
I dont know that the team needs to be elite to succeed. I think we've been slow to address issues on both sides of the ball. Pete acknowledged adhering to an approach that was hatched in part because of the players he had. That's changed. In truth, they've been tweaking it for a few years, but haven't had all the players to make it work... and Pete has stubbornly stuck to players he should have jettisoned based on performance alone.

On offense, everything increasingly ran through Russ, and that was a flawed plan. Not because Russ isn't incredible, because he is. It's just that for him and the offense to function optimally, the O had to work as a complementary system.

If we field the same, (healthy) running game we've had more often than not (top 10) and a defense that can stay in the top half of tge league, but diferentiate itself with its physicality...and NOT handicap our approach on either side of the ball with known deficiencies that opposing teams can exploit year in and out, especially in the playoffs (2 high cryptonite, soft middle zones) we can compete.

I'd go so far as to say that if this transition on defense sticks for the players, and Lock can play solid ball through Waldron's wizardry, we are in a position to have an advantage this year in that for the first time in a decade, we will be showing something the league hasn't seen. They won't be able to play us the same way on either side of the ball...

nwHawk

Reaction score
Russ would always scout the other team and give his reports outs to the other players, then host offseason 'camps' at his home in San Diego.

I found it telling that Tyler Lockett wouldn’t go down to San Diego to workout with Russ. What does that say about Russ when the team’s leading receiver for the past few years says nope, but is willing to play catch with Krapernik! Will the offense finally act as one unit? This will be interesting.

keasley45

Reaction score
I found it telling that Tyler Lockett wouldn’t go down to San Diego to workout with Russ. What does that say about Russ when the team’s leading receiver for the past few years says nope, but is willing to play catch with Krapernik! Will the offense finally act as one unit? This will be interesting.
Yeah. It's as much the things that haven't been said by certain key players as it is what has been expressed. Tyler not going to summer camp with Russ but then jumping to catch passes from Kaep. Baldwin not offering a ringing endorsement of Russ when he offered the assessment that what he saw in Russ as he was leaving the team was untapped potential... and acknowledging that Andrew Luck was the best QB he ever played with. It was ADBs 'silence' that started to get me to look at Russ more critically. I can't think of too many QB / WR tandems where the WR isn't effusive in praise for his QB. ADB never was. Tate didn't include Russ in his top 3. And even in Tyler's last interview when he does praise Wilson, it's nor his football IQ, it's for his determination, his will, his positivity, his talent and grit. The latter characteristics have never been in dispute. Russ has all of those things in spades. But breaking down a defense and winning the play before the snap? Nope. Russ won plays 6 seconds after the ball was hiked.

Could be that Lock is no better than Russ at this AND also lacks the necessary intangibles to overcome the deficiency the way Russ did. At least we are on thr path to moving beyond that road block.

Rosco

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing about Lock is that he will be coachable. Russ would always scout the other team and give his reports outs to the other players, then host offseason 'camps' at his home in San Diego. Not having that competing voice in the locker room will help the offense gain continuity and play as a unit.

I'm expecting some growing pains from Lock (and the new defense) as he gets used to the new system and personnel, but by week 8 we should start putting together some solid stretches of play and finish the season strong.
When did Wilson find time to do scouting reports? I’m sure if he just asked, PC would have given him a copy of the team’s scouting reports.