• Yes, start him

Votes: 73 53.3%
  • No, sit him

Votes: 64 46.7%

• Total voters

NINEster

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3mw49ms5 said:
No reason to think a low grade MCL tear would put him at any higher risk of injury. The high ankle sprain is a significantly higher risk.

Unless he has meniscal damage, or needs surgery, he should play. The amount of hand wringing over this is ridiculous.

If we go up 21 points on the Jets, we should pull him.

There's no going up 21 on the Jets.

Not with that force of a DL.

Fitzpatrick won't be terrible in this next game, nor will he be on the road.

49ers I hate to say it are the outlier for proving any Seahawk weakness true, at least since the 2015 season -- 2014 team still had a defense.

Largent80

Reaction score
NINEster":p0whdnry said:
bigskydoc":p0whdnry said:
No reason to think a low grade MCL tear would put him at any higher risk of injury. The high ankle sprain is a significantly higher risk.

Unless he has meniscal damage, or needs surgery, he should play. The amount of hand wringing over this is ridiculous.

If we go up 21 points on the Jets, we should pull him.

There's no going up 21 on the Jets.

Fitzpatrick won't be terrible in this next game.

They LOST 24-3 Sunday

Fitzpatrick would have a hard time duplicating 6 interceptions, however, he is facing a much better defense this week than last week.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'd start Russell, and have a meeting with Pulp Fiction Russ (aka Russell the Gimp), Cable, and Bevell. I'd let them know what's at stake.

I'd make sure to tell Russell that the holding on to the ball too long stuff can't happen this week. It's a good time to make Russell start throwing more passes away. Let him know that his survival depends on it.

I'd tell Cable that the OLine better have the game of their lives and to a man, there can be no matadoring ala Sowell in Weeks 1 and 2 where on a few plays, he'd literally not touch a defensive player and stand around watching as said defender gets a free rush and hit on Russ. That can't happen this week. Also, the run game needs to be at least stellar and dependable against a fantastic defensive front. No small task there, I know.

Then, Bevell. This past Sunday was a great step in the right direction, but this upcoming Sunday, he's got to call the game of his life in order to save Russell's football life. Shotgun all day, and nothing but quick pass after quick pass. This should be a game where we run the ball significantly more than we throw it. Absolutely nothing that is long developing and could potentially lead to another injury for #3. And I hope they're working on their RB screens a lot this week in practice because this week and it's opponent are the perfect time to utilize them.

I know, I know, it's a non-conference game and no one in the NFC is running away with the conference yet, but that's exactly why I'd start Wilson. In the words of his father, why not us? Why can't we start the season 3-1 despite all the injuries and at times, poor play? With the proper game plan and coaching, we can scheme to protect Russell and limit the hits that he takes. This wouldn't be the first time a QB has played through various injuries, and it won't be the last. He can rest all he wants with Ciara and IV's of straight Miracle Water during the bye week.

Asking Boykin to start his first career game, on the road, against that defense? That's a tall order and one that I'm not sure if Boykin is capable of slaying just yet. This game is giving me strong vibes of the Bengals game last season, for some reason. Hopefully we can actually hold on to the lead this season and potentially even pull away early and let the D dominate Fitz, which would allow Russell to exit the game early. In an ideal world of course, which we know this world is not.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
MAN, this is a really tough question -- a really tough question because there are so many layers to it (so many things to consider). I cannot believe I'm actually saying this, but I for one am voting for sitting Russell this week. Here's why:

From my vantage point, this game comes down to 1 key question -- just how well will Seattle's Offensive Line perform against that stout Jet Defensive Front? Don't be fooled by last week's drubbing of the 49ers. The offensive line looked like All Pros in comparison to how they looked the previous 2 games. But consider the state of the 49ers defense now. That group is a FAR, FAR cry from the once nasty bunch that used to spit nails at us under Harbaugh. They are a mere shadow of what they once were.

The Rams Defensive Line (as it always does) gave the offensive line fits. Donald, Brockers, and Quinn came after Russell all day long -- 9 QB Hits in all. Now the Hawks get the joy of facing a Jets D-Line who is arguably just as good (if not better) than that group. IMO, especially on the road, I would expect to see a repeat performance of Rams game. A lot of clogged lanes and pressure on the QB. What's really needed in this game ... is mobility. With the state of our offensive line, a QB simply has got to be able to scramble around and avoid pressure.

If Russell was his old self, I'd say fine. But he's not. Russell Wilson is a tough guy. That much is clear. He will play through pain. He'll gut it out. But at what cost though? I was an athlete much like him in that respect in many ways. I pulled a hamstring in my Sophomore year and though my coach told me to stop, I was a tough guy. That wasn't going to stop me. I chose to run on it all year long ... and it cost me in the end. It robbed me of speed and mobility that I never got back. In many ways, I'm still living with the consequences of that decision today. I see RW in very much the same light. I believe he's a guy who (in many ways) needs to be protected from himself.

If we were even going up against an Aaron Rodgers, or an Andrew Luck -- I'd say fine. Start Wilson. The chances of pulling this one out without him are low. But we're not. We're talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick here. The same Ryan Fitzpatrick who threw 6 INT's last week and whom Seattle beat into the ground back in 2013 when he was with the Cardinals. Remember that guy?

That Jet Offense as a whole doesn't scare me. This is going to be a low scoring affair IMO. Boykin showed enough to me last week that I believe he would do fine. He's a lot more mobile than Russell at this point (which is what you're going to need). That Jet secondary is flat out putrid. If a QB can avoid the pressure, there will be plays to be made down field -- even for a guy like Boykin.

No, you have this game ... and then you have the Bye. That would be 2 full weeks of rest for RW. IMO, if there were ever a game in which you'd look to rest Russell Wilson -- this would be it. You don't want to cost the team the entire season for 1 game. Rest and get that mobility back for the rest of the season. If he doesn't those nagging little injuries could morph into major injuries. Take it from someone who didn't listen to his body.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I voted to start Wilson. We can always pull him when it looks bad or if we blow them out. If the injury isnt severe and he is limited only by the knee brace then there isnt a problem. Against an aggressive defense the mind is quicker than the legs and no doubt Wilson's mind is far ahead of Boykin's.

When the offense is clicking you want all the players to continue that progress. Sitting a capable Wilson not only hinders the progress made on offense but can be perceived by opponents as a weakness--a move based on fear and doubt.

Consider what happens when Boykin is injured or another player is hurt because our rookie qb isnt making good decisions. Remember that Wilson was injured on a horsecollar tackle trying to make a play not because he was hobbled due to his right ankle. Some folks forget this same thing could easily happen to Boykin who similarly tries to make those plays.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":110tdlp3 said:
If we were even going up against an Aaron Rodgers, or an Andrew Luck -- I'd say fine. Start Wilson. The chances of pulling this one out without him are low. But we're not. We're talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick here. The same Ryan Fitzpatrick who threw 6 INT's last week and whom Seattle beat into the ground back in 2013 when he was with the Cardinals. Remember that guy?

Fitzpatrick has never played for the Cards. Not sure who you're talking about, unless you're talking about when he was playing for Buffalo in 2012 and we went there and won 50-17 (that's the only time we've ever faced him).

In that game, he certainly wasn't good, but he wasn't 6 picks bad. He's played 116 games in his career, and he's thrown 1 or 0 picks in 83 of them. He's thrown 3 or more 13 times. I think it would be unwise to assume that he's just going to serve up bunches of picks again - especially after a week of his coaches likely telling him, "Hey, Ryan... don't do that again." I think it's more likely that the game against KC was an extreme outlier and that given Seattle's troubles with forcing turnovers this season so far, it wouldn't surprise me if he managed to protect the ball just fine.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
volsunghawk":5zs2din7 said:
Hawkscanner":5zs2din7 said:

Fitzpatrick has never played for the Cards. Not sure who you're talking about, unless you're talking about when he was playing for Buffalo in 2012 and we went there and won 50-17 (that's the only time we've ever faced him).

In that game, he certainly wasn't good, but he wasn't 6 picks bad. He's played 116 games in his career, and he's thrown 1 or 0 picks in 83 of them. He's thrown 3 or more 13 times. I think it would be unwise to assume that he's just going to serve up bunches of picks again - especially after a week of his coaches likely telling him, "Hey, Ryan... don't do that again." I think it's more likely that the game against KC was an extreme outlier and that given Seattle's troubles with forcing turnovers this season so far, it wouldn't surprise me if he managed to protect the ball just fine.

You're right, it WAS that Buffalo game I was thinking about. I was in a hurry this morning, so wrote that on the fly as I was heading out for school (that was just off the top of my head).

Now that I've had some time to research I can tell you NO -- that's actually NOT the only time Fitzpatrick has faced the Seahawks.

In that Buffalo 50-17 blowout back in 2012, he did throw a TD, but also threw 2 INT's, had a fumble, and was sacked 3 times.

The next year in 2013, Fitzpatrick was a member of the Titans and faced us in Week 6 (10/13). In that game, he again threw 2 INT's (he had 0 TD's), had 2 fumbles, and was again sacked 3 times.

So, it's admittedly a very small sample size, but Fitzpatrick hasn't exactly lit it up against the Seahawks. He's struggled both times. Given that he struggled against a very good defensive team in Kansas City, it's fairly reasonable to expect he's going to have his issues against the Seahawks. He's also fumbled in each of his first 3 games, so if that's any indicator of things to come, it would appear that there will be turnover opportunities to be had.

Largent80

Reaction score
Wednesday is practice day. Early reports are RW is ok.

Decision will probably be made Saturday maybe even Sunday but I totally expect #3 at QB. Pete KNOWS that every game counts.

BTW.......The last time we played on that field...= :179417:

LolaRox

Reaction score
This is an easy decision for me. If the medical staff clears him to play, he plays. If they don't, he sits.

I don't believe you can concede any games they are all too important. This is football and it's a brutal and risky game, you can't start playing scared (scared money don't make money).

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
I voted to start him. See how he does. If his knee has too much of an effect or if the o-line is allowing too much pressure, take him out. Wilson is a team guy. I doubt he would say he can play if it would put the team in a bad spot.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
LolaRox":293xhhli said:
This is an easy decision for me. If the medical staff clears him to play, he plays. If they don't, he sits.

I don't believe you can concede any games they are all too important. This is football and it's a brutal and risky game, you can't start playing scared (scared money don't make money).

Oh, for me, it's not about playing scared whatsoever. I agree with what you're saying. It's just that it seems like I have a lot more faith in Trevone Boykin's ability to come out of this game with a win than many here do apparently.

For me, it's a matter of risk vs. reward (Opportunity Cost if you will). For one, this is an AFC opponent -- not an NFC one. And this game just so happens to come before a bye. That would be 2 full weeks of rest for #3 there. I look at this as a potential golden opportunity. What's better, to start Wilson and to have him aggravate that injury and possibly cost us games later on in the season because of that ... OR to take advantage of an apparent opportunity -- rest him for 1 game vs. a Defensive Line that would otherwise be chasing him all day long and probably get to him a few times? It would also give the rookie some valuable starting experience, which (who knows) could be key down the road.

Looking at all the factors, I choose sitting Wilson simply because I have faith in Boykin's ability to be game manager in this one and still come out with a W. Bottom line.

Largent80

Reaction score
I lone ya Hawkscanner and ya know it, BUT (and you knew it was coming)

Boykin is a VERY inexperienced backup and this is a VERY important game for the Haws to win.
3-1 vs 2-2 is a HUGE difference, especially the way the NFC is now.

Russ needs to start, period.

This game is a HUGE importance to win IMO.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
^ "I have faith in Boykin's ability to be game manager in this one and still come out with a W. Bottom line."

Took my first sip of a cold one and it has me thinking.. Why aren't we discussing the possibility that Boykin could go into this game and just Kill It?

He looked very confident Sunday, it's at least a possibility that as he did so many times for TCU he could pull out a really great game.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Largent80":1nkc427w said:
I lone ya Hawkscanner and ya know it, BUT (and you knew it was coming)

Boykin is a VERY inexperienced backup and this is a VERY important game for the Haws to win.
3-1 vs 2-2 is a HUGE difference, especially the way the NFC is now.

Russ needs to start, period.

This game is a HUGE importance to win IMO.

I hear you bro ... I hear you. BUT ... take a hard look at this opponent. Honestly -- where are their strengths? Where are their weaknesses? Outside of a team like the Browns obviously, if you were looking to start Boykin (asking yourself, where he could succeed best) ... this isn't a bad opponent honestly.

LeftHandSmoke":1nkc427w said:
^ "I have faith in Boykin's ability to be game manager in this one and still come out with a W. Bottom line."

Took my first sip of a cold one and it has me thinking.. Why aren't we discussing the possibility that Boykin could go into this game and just Kill It?

He looked very confident Sunday, it's at least a possibility that as he did so many times for TCU he could pull out a really great game.

Exactly. Why COULDN'T Boykin go into this game and kill it? That defensive line is arguably one of the best in football ... but their secondary?!? Pffft!!! It's early obviously, but as of right now, they are statistically one of the WORST in the NFL.

Through the first 3 games, they are allowing ...
71.3% Pass Completion% (Worst in the NFL)
an average of 9.7 yards/pass attempt (Worst in the NFL)
a QB Rating of 110.7 against them (2nd Worst in the NFL)
they have allowed 6 passes of 40 yards+ already (tied for 2nd worst)
an average of 284 yards/game passing (21st in the NFL)

So yeah, why not?

LolaRox

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1lwbkebo said:
LolaRox":1lwbkebo said:

Oh, for me, it's not about playing scared whatsoever. I agree with what you're saying. It's just that it seems like I have a lot more faith in Trevone Boykin's ability to come out of this game with a win than many here do apparently.

For me, it's a matter of risk vs. reward (Opportunity Cost if you will). For one, this is an AFC opponent -- not an NFC one. And this game just so happens to come before a bye. That would be 2 full weeks of rest for #3 there. I look at this as a potential golden opportunity. What's better, to start Wilson and to have him aggravate that injury and possibly cost us games later on in the season because of that ... OR to take advantage of an apparent opportunity -- rest him for 1 game vs. a Defensive Line that would otherwise be chasing him all day long and probably get to him a few times? It would also give the rookie some valuable starting experience, which (who knows) could be key down the road.

Looking at all the factors, I choose sitting Wilson simply because I have faith in Boykin's ability to be game manager in this one and still come out with a W. Bottom line.

I understand the concern people have but the 'what if' game is tricky... What if you sit Russ this game and he aggravates his knee or ankle in week 6? Then what if Boykin stinks it up and they lose the Jets game and miss the playoff by 1 game?

For me this isn't about Boykin, if Russ is healthy enough to play then he plays.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If I'm Pete I listen to the medical staff, his coaches, and to Russell but take into consideration Russell is prepared to play on one leg and and at times needs to take a break. If he shows the medical staff he can play w/o aggravating the injury then he plays, but if it's doubtful then it's time for some time off for our ironman so he can completely recover.

I think he plays. That's how I voted, but the real answer isn't as binary as this poll.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2xzpznef said:
This is a hard question to answer seeing as we don't know how severe his knee injury is. I would tentatively say play him, but give most of the reps in practice to Boykin. If Russell shows he can still throw accurately, I would significantly alter my offense. No more read option, more of a spread offense predicated on WCO concepts. I want our coaches to treat Russell Wilson like he is a Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, IE immobile. If we don't alter the game plan to go with a more traditional passing offense, I want no part of Russell Wilson starting.
I like parts of this plan but I can't see them being stupid with him in a brace.It has to be the spread attack of later last year for at least the next few games.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bigskydoc":26hm77bd said:
60% of Russ is >> than 100% of Boykin

A partial tear of the MCL does not appreciably increase the risk of further injury.

Why would anyone choose to sit Russ?

Limit him somewhat since he will have some slight mobility issues? Sure.

Pull him if we go up 21? Sure.

Completely pull him out and risk a loss? No way.

He has a historical propensity for playing smart and keeping himself out of trouble. Remind him again and again to play smart football like that, and live to fight another day.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
And today we see that one should never sit Wilson unless both legs are amputated.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Latest posts