Pick #81 - G Christian Haynes

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I am not convinced Poles made the right pick at #75. I have more doubts about Davis at RG than about Jones at LT. If Haynes becomes a solid starting guard for the Seahawks while Poles guy never develops into more than a swing tackle, then JS beat Poles again in 3rd round (as he did with Lucas). On the flip side, he could have missed on a LT who will be better than Cross. I don’t know, but I will be curious to find out.

olyfan63

Reaction score
In the glory days of our runs to the Superb owl, we had O lines that would chew up the Niners. It was shocking that they dismantled it a piece at a time. Hate on Dallas all you want, but they have the same cap to work under, but they had maybe the best O line in the NFL for years, and rebuilt it to today, where it is just top tier. While Seattle fell apart, along with the O line.
We had Bowie and Bailey, cheap rookies who sucked at pass-pro, but were big-bodied maulers in the run game. And Sweezy, a converted DT. Yes, they moved bodies in the run game, and Russell was at his peak elusiveness to escape pass rushes to make up for crappy protection. Plus the ever-present threat of Lynch kept the pass rushers honest.

PC/JS strategy those years was to save money on a cheap O-Line so they could spend the money on defensive talent.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We had Bowie and Bailey, cheap rookies who sucked at pass-pro, but were big-bodied maulers in the run game. And Sweezy, a converted DT. Yes, they moved bodies in the run game, and Russell was at his peak elusiveness to escape pass rushes to make up for crappy protection. Plus the ever-present threat of Lynch kept the pass rushers honest.

PC/JS strategy those years was to save money on a cheap O-Line so they could spend the money on defensive talent.
They had the right idea. There was no point in investing to protect Russell. His playstyle isn't something that facilitates clean pockets. The only way to protect him is with a rushing attack.

Now, though, with Geno - there's a reason to try to build a wall, because he's a pocket operator who creates a very low percentage of the pressure and sacks that he faces. Pass protection suddenly can make or break the offense after a decade of "it'll be bad anyway because most clean pockets will be vacated anyway."

Howell's habits remain to be seen (I think he will also be protection dependent as he is only sort of dual-threat) but I'm a big believer in the approach of investing only as much in the OL as your quarterback will be able to actually leverage (unless you're looking for a rookie QBOTF within a year or two. Then build the wall, baby).

Ozzy

Reaction score

That offensive line was terrible in pass protection. People blame Russ but I think it actually contributed to Wilson leaving the pocket a little early at times and plagued him his whole career. But its easier to for many to just say everything is Wilson's fault I guess. If Russ didn't have his creativity that offense would've been absolutely terrible with that line.

While I wish they invested a little more it was a smart strategy as it allowed money to be spent elsewhere and Russ when healthy was one of the best ever at improvising.

Maelstrom: You're not wrong in your assessment of Russ but for me its a chicken and egg scenerio. I think Russ is good at what he's good at but I've always wondered if their approach hindered his ability to grow in that area as well. We all love to blame Russ but you talk to anyone around the league about rookie QB's and how their situation at the start often dictates what they become. So is it possible Russ during his critical early years wasn't given the best oppurtunity to develop into a more patient pocket guy? I think its at least a fair question. Russ with a clean pocket always had good metrics too so its a bummer regardless of who carries more fault.

I can't remember who said it but a personnel guy had multiple exampts of guys who washed out that he swears if they just went to a different team would be stars because of terrible lines during their first years in the league.

BASF

Reaction score
That offensive line was terrible in pass protection. People blame Russ but I think it actually contributed to Wilson leaving the pocket a little early at times and plagued him his whole career. But its easier to for many to just say everything is Wilson's fault I guess. If Russ didn't have his creativity that offense would've been absolutely terrible with that line.

While I wish they invested a little more it was a smart strategy as it allowed money to be spent elsewhere and Russ when healthy was one of the best ever at improvising.

Maelstrom: You're not wrong in your assessment of Russ but for me its a chicken and egg scenerio. I think Russ is good at what he's good at but I've always wondered if their approach hindered his ability to grow in that area as well. We all love to blame Russ but you talk to anyone around the league about rookie QB's and how their situation at the start often dictates what they become. So is it possible Russ during his critical early years wasn't given the best oppurtunity to develop into a more patient pocket guy? I think its at least a fair question. Russ with a clean pocket always had good metrics too so its a bummer regardless of who carries more fault.

I can't remember who said it but a personnel guy had multiple exampts of guys who washed out that he swears if they just went to a different team would be stars because of terrible lines during their first years in the league.
Defending Russ in this manner is interesting since he played the same sandlot style at NC State and Wisconsin. Feel free to check his highlights from those years, it's the same highlights as in Seattle and in Denver.

BASF

Reaction score
As far as the actual posts subject matter, I have enjoyed watching the videos on Haynes. I am hopeful for his future here.