Per ESPN Hawks Not Likely To Break The Bank For Clowney

jammerhawk

Reaction score
LOL, ESPN is hardly a definitive source for information that is accurate. They report rumour as fact.

Seattle will negotiate a market rate deal with Clowney but if he wants to bust the bank he will be allowed to move on to a team that resets the market.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't care less what ESPN or any other "source" says. It'll play out how John and Pete see fit.
Rumors are just that, rumors.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Absolutely agree!

Time will tell on this, I can see the player being priced out of what the team is prepared to pay as could be the case with DT- Reed.

Somos doces

Reaction score
Odd that the writer mentioned Clowney’s age three times, including twice in the span of two paragraphs.

In any case, I’m fine with whatever the team ultimately does. It would be great to have Clowney on the roster for the next SB run, but if the price gets too high, I trust Schneider to get good value elsewhere with that money.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John C -Reported this also..I'm beginning to be on the no break bank side.
Love JC as a player but man you have to be smart with the $ as the QB is
getting a big chunk..JS said he has to think 2-3 years down the road.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've changed my stance on this too. Love Clowney but not sure I'm comfortable going north of 20 with as many holes as they have.

Largent80

Reaction score
Millions...whats the difference between 19 and 22?...3 or 4...So what> pay this dude

getnasty

Reaction score
Largent80":7vswpk7d said:
Millions...whats the difference between 19 and 22?...3 or 4...So what> pay this dude

If your comfortable with cutting KJ and going with Barton or Britt and going with Hunt then i think this line of thinking might be ok.

whidbeast

Reaction score
Does anyone here think Clowney plays through that injury last season he if had been making 22 million on a multi-year deal?

xray

Reaction score
This thread has the same talk and opinions ; as when Clark was the center piece . Remember ? :D

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
While Clowney is loaded with talent, he never looked like a great fit on this defense. At least not worth top dollar in the open market.

One of the things Pete mentioned in his end of season press conference is the team needing to be faster on the edges. Clowney, while fast for his size, is not a quick twitch player. He's more or less a blend of strength and speed and while that can work for some teams, the Seahawks have a defined role for their DEs. They played him at his best at the Leo spot, but that meant they had two DE's that are more power than speed, resulting in them getting beat to shit on fly sweep plays.

I am not enjoying the idea of going into the offseason with a huge hole at leo DE by not re-signing Clowney, but I think it's the correct, long-term move.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Hard to let elite talent walk.

I also think this is some great posturing by the Seattle front office. Put it out there that we are not going to pay him top dollar. Let him make the hard decision. Be on a championship caliber franchise in Seattle or make a few extra mil in Buffalo or Indy.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1qydkhfm said:
Hard to let elite talent walk.

I also think this is some great posturing by the Seattle front office. Put it out there that we are not going to pay him top dollar. Let him make the hard decision. Be on a championship caliber franchise in Seattle or make a few extra mil in Buffalo or Indy.

While the Colts may not be going anywhere fast the Bills did make the playoffs and could continue their rise in 2020 so that might not be a bad option for Clowney.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":32ap68yz said:
While Clowney is loaded with talent, he never looked like a great fit on this defense. At least not worth top dollar in the open market.

One of the things Pete mentioned in his end of season press conference is the team needing to be faster on the edges. Clowney, while fast for his size, is not a quick twitch player. He's more or less a blend of strength and speed and while that can work for some teams, the Seahawks have a defined role for their DEs. They played him at his best at the Leo spot, but that meant they had two DE's that are more power than speed, resulting in them getting beat to $h!t on fly sweep plays.

I am not enjoying the idea of going into the offseason with a huge hole at leo DE by not re-signing Clowney, but I think it's the correct, long-term move.

Clark was more productive in the Hawks defense in 2018 but he also had the benefit of a Reed who was tearing it up at the 3-tech. If Ansah had panned out even a little and Reed had continued where he left off what would Clowney have looked like then? Instead he had to contend regularly with double teams since no one else on the line was a threat.

Edge is a key position and in order for the Hawks to make a legit SB run they're going to need at least one top talent in each position group. So if not Clowney then who? Ngakoue? Same issue as Clowney. Draft? Unreliable. I say you pay Clowney who asked to be here and didn't have a great season since you might get him at a slight discount (sportrac=$20mil) instead of top dollar to someone like Ngakoue who might want $21mil or more.

Largent80

Reaction score
As I said before....these guys get paid. You can not pay them, and not have them. We traded Clark and now
he's wearing a super bowl ring.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2j6hcnyi said:
As I said before....these guys get paid. You can not pay them, and not have them. We traded Clark and now
he's wearing a super bowl ring.

Of which we used to get back draft picks so we could have the capital to move around in the draft last year to get guys like Blair, Metcalf, Amadi and Barton............as well as get our cap right.

What this report tells me is what we already know, Pete and John have a number they're willing to go to for Clowney (like they did for Clark), and that they're not willing to go beyond that number.

Largent80

Reaction score
You skillfully avoided the RING I mentioned while trying to sugar coat the results of the trade, which have not produced anything more that an almost dead last sack and pressure rate and a few players that have "potential"...You have to pay these players or suck ass like we did last year. There's no way to sugar coat it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3c7c1k7l said:
You skillfully avoided the RING I mentioned while trying to sugar coat the results of the trade, which have not produced anything more that an almost dead last sack and pressure rate and a few players that have "potential"...You have to pay these players or suck ass like we did last year. There's no way to sugar coat it.

Not sure what your point is, if we had Clark we would have won a ring?

If we paid Clark, sure our D-line would have been better........but then we would have still only had four draft picks in the entire draft, which would have resulted in no Metcalf, etc.

I get it, maybe Jon and Pete need to re-evaluate how they arrive at what they're willing to pay their elite players. But my point stands, last year was about re-couping picks and getting the cap situation in an advantageous spot.

The real indictment is how we got into a bad cap situation, which was a result of poor drafting forcing us to use picks to get guys like Brown.

Seymour

Reaction score
austinslater25":369uc85i said:
I've changed my stance on this too. Love Clowney but not sure I'm comfortable going north of 20 with as many holes as they have.

Exactly!
I heard an interview with a Houston area reporter on why Clowney wasn't signed and he layed out several key reasons they passed on a huge deal. 2 of those things were his lack of practice intensity for a top pick, and his potential for injury including micro fracture surgery to his knee with questionable results. There were several other reasons in there including coaching clashes ect. But point is.....too much to risk with our recent history of getting burned. :177692:

Play it safe and move on unless we can sign him for around $18M max. which won't happen.

Everyone freaked we let Clark go, then we get Clowney for $7M. Something will pan out somewhere IMO.

And there are questions about the long-term effectiveness of the procedure, which is called "microfracture surgery." It entails using an arthroscopic tool to make small holes — called microfractures — in the bone near areas where the cartilage has worn away and release blood that carries cells that build cartilage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-microfracture-knee-surgery-outlook/20222073/

Latest posts