Per ESPN Hawks Not Likely To Break The Bank For Clowney

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The thing with Clowney (or anyone else) is that you can't have one edge (however excellent) doing all the work as we saw with Clowney in the first SF game in October. He got hurt, he played hurt and yes his performance suffered as a result.

We need more pieces around whatever star we pick. When we get into the stratosphere beyond say $20M, that makes that more difficult.

toffee

Reaction score
Our Defense sucked, our DL was the suckest of that defense, and our DL sucked with Clowney. SO:

1. Clowney is the real deal, our DL sucked due to coaching and/or supporting cast.
2. Clowney is good, but not game changer. He couldn't make people around him, ie the rest of DL, better.

I am not at all sure if we used Clowney to his maximum, and the supporting cast indeed need upgrading. However, our D was better in 2018 than 2019 with Frank Clark, but with less experienced Poona, Green and Flowers.

Points allowed per game:
2019: 24.9
2018: 21.7

Passing yards per game:
2019: 263.9 yards
2018: 240.1 yards

Rushing yards per game:
2019: 117.7 yards
2018: 113.2 yards

Our secondary generally improved, so that's not the reason. I think perhaps Clowney didn't fit Pete's system?????

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":m6vgknk0 said:
Our Defense sucked, our DL was the suckest of that defense, and our DL sucked with Clowney. SO:

1. Clowney is the real deal, our DL sucked due to coaching and/or supporting cast.
2. Clowney is good, but not game changer. He couldn't make people around him, ie the rest of DL, better.

I am not at all sure if we used Clowney to his maximum, and the supporting cast indeed need upgrading. However, our D was better in 2018 than 2019 with Frank Clark, but with less experienced Poona, Green and Flowers.

Points allowed per game:

Passing yards per game:

Rushing yards per game:

Our secondary generally improved, so that's not the reason. I think perhaps Clowney didn't fit Pete's system?????

You forgot that Clowney was playing with a sports hernia/core injury for almost half a season. Yet was still outperforming many of the healthy players. He took over a couple of games while playing with the injury. The 49ers and Eagles games. Most people would be out for the season. He battled through it. He's a warrior and a must re-sign for the Seahawks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This ^
He gained a lot of respect from his teammates and coaches. And clearly from many of the fans. Dude went well beyond what a lot of other players would have imo.

morgulon1

Reaction score
whidbeast":39uh0vhg said:
Does anyone here think Clowney plays through that injury last season he if had been making 22 million on a multi-year deal?

Excellent point.

I think he is a player that is good at times but isnt worth what he's going to get .

Id rather have 3 or 4 great 6 million dollar players than a hot/cold injury prone 25 mil per year DE

chris98251

Reaction score
Cyrus12":tf7soycl said:
Crickets so far on anything Clowney related.

With the Seahawks silence is a good thing. It's when talk and blowing up a guy by Pete happens things are going south.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
toffee":i9lxb7an said:

Points allowed per game:

Passing yards per game:

Rushing yards per game:

Our secondary improved what the hell are you talking about we couldn't get out of base defense because Seattle's slot CB was pure trash. Diggs helped but can't stay healthy. Flowers sucked all year. The secondary was pitiful last season bro. McDougald was a shell of the man he was a couple season ago and Blair and Amadi did nothing special at all and Barton looks really soft. Sorry I do not agree at all our secondary wasn't a problem it clearly was and is.