Moffitt returns to the NFL, signs with the Eagles

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3na1zf4r said:
Even when Moffitt was in the prime of his career, he was slow and out of shape. Poor in pass protection, with multiple games of 5+ hurries allowed, and lacking explosiveness in the running game. PFF gave him an extremely poor -21.5 grade in 2011, until his suspension for use of performance-enhancing drugs. In 2012, he was ranked among the Bottom 5 guards with 13.3% of his blocks given negative grades.

Now he has spent most of the last two years out of the game, not working, doing drugs, and not even working out. The game has passed him by . . . and more importantly, so have the Seahawks. Since 2012, the team has made a concerted effort to draft better athletes along the OL. Glowinski, Poole, Sokoli, and even UDFA Davis all have far more potential than Moffitt did when he was still in his prime.

The NY Times article says he worked with a financial adviser to put away money while he played. For his sake, I hope that is true.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, other than wishing him well, he seems like a good guy. But some of the comments are funny.

The prime of his career? You mean his rookie and sophomore years in the league? Not really his prime.

Concerted effort to draft better athletes? Maybe... but OL is still the biggest weakness of this team.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2aequ8dm said:
hawknation2015":2aequ8dm said:
Even when Moffitt was in the prime of his career, he was slow and out of shape. Poor in pass protection, with multiple games of 5+ hurries allowed, and lacking explosiveness in the running game. PFF gave him an extremely poor -21.5 grade in 2011, until his suspension for use of performance-enhancing drugs. In 2012, he was ranked among the Bottom 5 guards with 13.3% of his blocks given negative grades.

Now he has spent most of the last two years out of the game, not working, doing drugs, and not even working out. The game has passed him by . . . and more importantly, so have the Seahawks. Since 2012, the team has made a concerted effort to draft better athletes along the OL. Glowinski, Poole, Sokoli, and even UDFA Davis all have far more potential than Moffitt did when he was still in his prime.

The NY Times article says he worked with a financial adviser to put away money while he played. For his sake, I hope that is true.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, other than wishing him well, he seems like a good guy. But some of the comments are funny.

The prime of his career? You mean his rookie and sophomore years in the league? Not really his prime.

Concerted effort to draft better athletes? Maybe... but OL is still the biggest weakness of this team.

He was 27 years old in 2013 when he decided to retire. For most players, that is the prime of their careers. As a prospect, his ceiling was always low because of his lack of athleticism. I would not trade Glowinski, Poole, or Sokoli, all much better athletes with higher ceilings, for a 27-year old Moffitt in his prime.

If he had actually worked hard and rounded himself into shape in 2013, he could have put together a decent career for himself as a journeyman and maybe made $10-15 million in his career. He might be playing on a nice 2nd contract right now. Instead, he chose to waste away his best opportunity to make it in this game so he could party more. That was his choice and now he has to live with it.

I only wish we had drafted more offensive linemen like Sweezy/Glowinski/Poole/Sokoli. Even Garrett Scott looked like he had an incredibly high ceiling until it was discovered that he had a heart condition. I imagine someone like Scott wishes he had the health to seize the opportunity that Moffitt so carelessly threw away.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hey I like Glowinski, Poole, or Sokoli too.

And can't argue with you regarding his original retirement. I've always thought it was a mistake.

Just thought it was strange calling a player in his 1st and 2nd years, ''prime''. :Dunno:

chris98251

Reaction score
Moffit I think is one of those players that Pete and John labeled as not having the right mentality to compete in Seattle, one of their mistakes that they said they have corrected in their evaluations.

AgentDib

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3umy5fgq said:
Just playing devils advocate here.
Which is a fair game to play, but most of the guys you listed are not linemen. We've already waved a OL candidate with potential so I think it's reasonable that we aren't looking to carry more than we have now. You didn't list most of the line for the very good reason that we have a lot of promising players there.

Of the three you listed, Cable had very glowing things to say about Davis and Schwenke after rookie minicamps. Schwenke is another DL conversion project (from the NFL) with the right physical traits and Davis only played tackle his last two years in college and is competing for backup left tackle. I don't know anything about Pericak but I can't imagine why we would want an older, more expensive, less athletic veteran with a lack of drive.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The training players do with Glazer is no joke. He might not be a sparq player, but if he is in good condition he can be a decent starter somewhere.

I hope he has a lot of success.

peppersjap

Reaction score
He is a fantastic guy who completely threw a career away. I think he would be a fun guy to have a beer with but already showed football is not a priority. He wasn't even dominant when he was playing, a definite under achiever. I think if his career continues it should be somewhere else. I'm blown away by people who think this quitter might be our new starting guard. Yes, he quit on the team!

justafan

Reaction score
Pete has always been a coach who believes in second chances.I dont see a problem if he did it with Moffitt.If he can bring him in to compete with the rookies and best man win.It can only make the team better either way it ends up

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
it is very likely that moffit was the guy selling adderall/etc, I'm guessing that's what pushed him out to Denver. not something you forgive as a coach/FO

TwilightError

Reaction score
I hope he gets a chance in some teams training camp. It will not be Seattle though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":en90g09k said:
MysterMatt":en90g09k said:
Or maybe he got off the drugs? It's possible.

I'm sure he did....shortly after running out of cash.

Yeah, sure seems like the main reason Moffitt's coming out of retirement is he ran out of money after no one wanted to give him a radio show or pay him for the other hairbrained ideas he said he was going to do post football.

I wish him the best, but I'd be surprised if he catches on anywhere............as he burned a lot of bridges with the way he went out quitting on his team, which isn't going to make him the most popular guy in the locker room.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont get peoples problem with a guy who doesnt have his heart into it and decides to retire.He could have coasted the year and took the broncos money but he felt like he was done at the time.He did the honorable thing and got out.He didnt take money he wasnt earning.
People dont have a problem with other Hawks who have screwed up and hurt the team.They certainly dont have a problem with a guy who gets hammered and ends up with a crazy chick biting on his nose, gets arrested and kicked off his college team.Why the anger with a guy who wasnt even a hawk when he retired?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
This guy is a washed up 3rd round draft pick. No way he makes an NFL team's roster.

titan3131

Reaction score
Are the mods ob vacation? This clearly isnt hawks related.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
titan3131":12ic333y said:
Are the mods ob vacation? This clearly isnt hawks related.

I don't blame them for missing it. This off season has been so slow and so umm mentally taxing here that I am sure they are sleepy and fatigued after reading the same Wilson threads every week.

:sarcasm_off:

King Dog

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like a dickhead, but Moffitt has always looked like a fat and lazy pos. I would love to listen to the guy on the radio / tv as he has a great personality, but watch him on Sundays? I just don't see it... Best of luck to him though. I'm pulling for him to prove me wrong.