Lets look at the 3-4

Chawker

Reaction score
We'll improve our short passing game and it will improve our ability to cover wide run plays and RBs flair passes. The back half of our secondary will remain, however minor schemes changes are possible.

The down side to any 3-4 is a teams ability to run the ball in between the tackles.

Rosco

Reaction score
A massive NT makes a big difference, but it’s a passing league and the 3-4 is best suited to defend the pass.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
34 was invented to stop the run because the nose 2 gaps the a gap himself and keeps linebackers clean to find the holes. Dt get the b gaps. Olbs are c gaps. Plus the front 7 almost immediately covers all gaps minus shifting linebackers. Assuming it is better against passes would assume all linebackers cover well. Which they dont.

Rosco

Reaction score
34 was invented to stop the run because the nose 2 gaps the a gap himself and keeps linebackers clean to find the holes. Dt get the b gaps. Olbs are c gaps. Plus the front 7 almost immediately covers all gaps minus shifting linebackers. Assuming it is better against passes would assume all linebackers cover well. Which they dont.
In a 3-4 your OLBs are your primary pass rushers. Demarcus Ware and Von Miller for example. With QBs getting rid of the ball as quickly as they do, OLB can get to the QB faster. It’s also easier to find a OLB then a pass rushing 4-3 DE.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I do expect some growing pains with the change in defense. Plus the secondary will have a learning curve. Our safetys are coming back from injuries and surgeries. I do like the 3-4 as I remember from the Knox era. With active safetys we may create a lot of turnovers.

toffee

Reaction score
Do we have the right personnel yet for 3-4? Not sure about our nose tackle, Al Woods got the size but he is also getting on age, Poona? DE?