KJR reports rumor of trade proposal

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pete and John have both bragged about how good their system and organization is at developing quarterbacks, so why would they think they HAVE to get their guy at 5, and not at 20 or later if they know they can develop as well as they think they can?
Good points. I think this bit above can also reinforce drafting for the highest ceiling.

If they're confident in their ability to develop a QB, why wouldn't they take a shot on a high-character guy that they think could be among the most dominant players in the league?

And the subtext of your comment makes it sound like QBs are the only players that bust at the top of the draft. Which isn't true. Ask the 49ers fans around here about Solomon Thomas.

It sounds like part of what you're not attracted to in a QB is that it wouldn't begin paying off immediately. I understand that. But I also think this team is a year or two away from being a real super bowl contender anyway, so a slower payout is fine with me if the potential payout is massive.

Again: I don't think it precludes addressing some needs like nose tackle and containment end in this draft. In my estimation, this strategy also follows the talent in this draft.

You're a good $h!t Sarge, thanks for arguing with me rationaly and civily. That's a rarity nowadays.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Would you say how AR has performed at Florida has been a lack of quality coaching or the kid isn’t talented enough to post great numbers?

That’s the conundrum.

That’s what the Seattle brass has to decide.

Playing in the right environment is paramount for reaching a players full potential.

Carroll has gone on record to say a player can take a while before they fully understand and can play very well.

There’s no hiding, Seattle, is interested in the pure athletic gifts and physical stature of AR as they should be.

The difference is Seattle has a front office that fully believes they can harness a players entire potential which is why they have consistently and historically brought in players that has these “red flags” about them. That’s no secret.

Lynch, Harvin, Graham, Adams, Geno, etc. Seattle isn’t afraid to do the outside thinking and Carroll views himself the coach that can employ a player to transcend what they have been and be better. Of course, it doesn’t always work out, but having some faith in a player can mentally push that player to being better than they have been elsewhere.

A strong and positive environment equipped with a pedigree such as Carroll’s as a players coach can have a profound impact on a players psyche and elevate them to another level. A great example of this is Geno.

Smith has said he may have been out of the league if it wasn’t for Seattle.

Admit it, who here thought, Smith, would be a good QB for Seattle. That was all Carroll. And Smith’s ceiling is definitely not as high as Richardson’s is.

We know Carroll’s offense is simple, control the clock with an effective run game and throw deep often. Richardson’s physical gifts can thrive with this approach especially under the tutelage of Carroll.

If Richardson didn’t post great numbers at Florida, imagine what he can do when Carroll puts a system around him that Richardson believes in and is great with?

That’s why I believe Seattle differs from other organizations, Carroll, always believes he can bring out the best in a player and if that player is Anthony Richardson and AR becomes that guy, man, the league would be in serious trouble.

But this is all speculation, we shall see!

This draft is so exciting and fun!

We don’t know what to expect!
I honestly don't know what the situation was at Florida. I also think Seattle would be a great place for AR to go and develop. I'm just pointing out that it will be four or five years before Seattle sees a payoff for drafting him. The big payoff will be during AR's second contract, which may or may not be with Seattle.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Mullens had Dak in his O at MSU, and he hit above 60% 3 times and over 3000 yards his jr and sr year. And Dak is a middle of the road NFL QB. Will Richardson suddenly figure it out?

knownone

Reaction score
Translation, "Seahawks want to make other teams think they're super interested to make their pick more valuable should they want to trade down."
That doesn't make any sense. Pretending you want to trade up doesn't increase the value of your current pick. And any leverage created from that would be nullified when you inform teams you actually want to trade back.

If it's a smokescreen, it's to get other teams that may want a QB to leapfrog them.

Chevy

Reaction score
They spent time and took selfies with all the top 10 QB's. Doesn't mean anything other than they want to make sure other teams think they might draft a QB.

Not that John and Pete haven't surprised us before, but I'd be absolutely shocked if we take Richardson at 5, or any of the QB's.

If Pete and John fancy this roster right now as ready to compete beyond being a fringe playoff team, spending the highest draft pick they've ever had on a developmental QB that won't even be ready for a year or longer?

Doesn't make a lot of sense.
I don't know how you could be shocked if we drafted a QB at #5. Its been talked about endlessly. A lot of mock drafts have us taking a QB at #5. In past drafts the Seahawks were wanting to draft QBs in the 1st round when we had Russell Wilson and a playoff roster, but couldn't trade up to make it happen.

Maybe a lot of Seahawks fans would not like drafting a QB at #5, but we would not be blindsided by taking a QB.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
With regard to Richardson:
It feels like the Seahawks were saving up to buy a house, then suddenly a beautiful sports car came along and now they're tempted to buy it instead.
It was a shoddy house in a bad neighborhood. The sports car is a one-of-one and has potential to be worth 10 times what they paid for within 2 to 3 years.

Chevy

Reaction score
I have confidence with John and Pete's evaluation of QBs. So if they traded up to #3 on draft day, then I would be good with whichever of the four top QBs in this draft. Especially if it's Richardson, the Seahawks are the best landing spot for him. Which is probably why he has shown the Seahawks a shout out or two.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I could see if Richardson is available @5 drafting him, I am not onboard trading up. I have flip flopped between drafting Richardson or not I am now on the side of not drafting him

Chevy

Reaction score
Appropriate analogy JinPA. Well done.
With the Wilson trade, the Seahawks were saving up to buy a QB (house), but Geno played the way he did last year. So if they stick to their house buying plan/analogy, they would still draft a QB this year. The sports car, would be a positional player.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
JS may be considering Richardson at #5, but the simple fact that he talked to this agent is not strong evidence that he’s seriously considering trading up to #3. From here to draft day, we will hear all sorts of speculations. Happens every year.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I'm not on the AR bandwagon, but nobody thought Russell was going to start year one did they?

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I'm not on the AR bandwagon, but nobody thought Russell was going to start year one did they?
There is a HUGE difference between Russell Wilson and AR coming out of college. Some examples:
Starts: RW->59, AR->13
Attempts: RW->1,489, AR->393
Completion %: RW->60.9, AR->54.7
TDs: RW->109, AR->24
Interceptions: RW->30 in 1,489 attempts; AR->15 in 393 attempts

I could go on. Essentially, Russell Wilson proved he could perform at the college level. AR clearly has not.

TwilightError

Reaction score
While I do not discount that we could move up, trading for #3 before the draft starts is not how a reasonable franchise works. Unless they love the top 3 QBs in the draft the idea of trading up and still missing out on the one you want is silly. If they do indeed trade up to the 3rd spot it will only be after the first 2 picks have already been selected and a QB they love is still there.
This. Doing the move now seems crazy. But if its just a second rounder, I’d make the deal then. Richardson is boom or bust but you dont win without taking chances.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Would you say how AR has performed at Florida has been a lack of quality coaching or the kid isn’t talented enough to post great numbers?

That’s the conundrum.

That’s what the Seattle brass has to decide.

Playing in the right environment is paramount for reaching a players full potential.

Carroll has gone on record to say a player can take a while before they fully understand and can play very well.

There’s no hiding, Seattle, is interested in the pure athletic gifts and physical stature of AR as they should be.

The difference is Seattle has a front office that fully believes they can harness a players entire potential which is why they have consistently and historically brought in players that has these “red flags” about them. That’s no secret.

Lynch, Harvin, Graham, Adams, Geno, etc. Seattle isn’t afraid to do the outside thinking and Carroll views himself the coach that can employ a player to transcend what they have been and be better. Of course, it doesn’t always work out, but having some faith in a player can mentally push that player to being better than they have been elsewhere.

A strong and positive environment equipped with a pedigree such as Carroll’s as a players coach can have a profound impact on a players psyche and elevate them to another level. A great example of this is Geno.

Smith has said he may have been out of the league if it wasn’t for Seattle.

Admit it, who here thought, Smith, would be a good QB for Seattle. That was all Carroll. And Smith’s ceiling is definitely not as high as Richardson’s is.

We know Carroll’s offense is simple, control the clock with an effective run game and throw deep often. Richardson’s physical gifts can thrive with this approach especially under the tutelage of Carroll.

If Richardson didn’t post great numbers at Florida, imagine what he can do when Carroll puts a system around him that Richardson believes in and is great with?

That’s why I believe Seattle differs from other organizations, Carroll, always believes he can bring out the best in a player and if that player is Anthony Richardson and AR becomes that guy, man, the league would be in serious trouble.

But this is all speculation, we shall see!

This draft is so exciting and fun!

We don’t know what to expect!
Would you say that AR's ceiling higher that RW's?, I mean Wilson got set in his ways, and when he started slowing down, he wasn't able to adjust his play to match the changeup in Defensive sets, in other words, he played to his limited Russell Wilson SYSTEM, a "System" that he took to Denver and failed with.
The only reason that I bring up RW, is because he did NOT play to Carroll's system like Smith does.
AR is a man amongst boys in his athleticism, but how Coachable is he, and how long before he can actually be an NFL ready to take over QB....Hopefully he can become a quick study if we take him in this Draft.
I'm not advocating for or against taking the guy, and IF Pete & John pull the trigger, it will be because they believe that he's worth the risk.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
There is a HUGE difference between Russell Wilson and AR coming out of college. Some examples:
Starts: RW->59, AR->13
Attempts: RW->1,489, AR->393
Completion %: RW->60.9, AR->54.7
TDs: RW->109, AR->24
Interceptions: RW->30 in 1,489 attempts; AR->15 in 393 attempts

I could go on. Essentially, Russell Wilson proved he could perform at the college level. AR clearly has not.
You could have stopped at the 59 to 13 starts, as there's a hell of a difference in experience, so all the stats below that one are skewed.
Also, Coaching can make a HUGE difference in development of the player to the systems they run, the fundamentals being coached into a player, how much time they take to develop THAT player to scheme fit, and so on and so on.
Also folks, how big of a deal is it having Greg Olsen to Coach them up?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Would you say that AR's ceiling higher that RW's?, I mean Wilson got set in his ways, and when he started slowing down, he wasn't able to adjust his play to match the changeup in Defensive sets, in other words, he played to his limited Russell Wilson SYSTEM, a "System" that he took to Denver and failed with.
The only reason that I bring up RW, is because he did NOT play to Carroll's system like Smith does.
AR is a man amongst boys in his athleticism, but how Coachable is he, and how long before he can actually be an NFL ready to take over QB....Hopefully he can become a quick study if we take him in this Draft.
I'm not advocating for or against taking the guy, and IF Pete & John pull the trigger, it will be because they believe that he's worth the risk.
I think AR’s ceiling coming out of college isn’t as high as RW.

RW was a much more polished thrower, of course.

And that’s what separates these two coming out of college but AR is more well liked (like actually liked by his teammates) than that fake RW.

AR, is a much more of an unfinished product. Yes, AR is definitely not ready yet.

Honestly, AR, comparison right now should be Trey Lance, in terms of his football XOs.

Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Might be more so bad, but the guy is so intriguing to Seattle and Seattle probably feels he is coachable just like Carroll believes in all “his projects.”

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think AR’s ceiling coming out of college isn’t as high as RW.

RW was a much more polished thrower, of course.

And that’s what separates these two coming out of college but AR is more well liked (like actually liked by his teammates) than that fake RW.

AR, is a much more of an unfinished product. Yes, AR is definitely not ready yet.

Honestly, AR, comparison right now should be Trey Lance, in terms of his football XOs.

Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Might be more so bad, but the guy is so intriguing to Seattle and Seattle probably feels he is coachable just like Carroll believes in all “his projects.”
AR's ceiling is best QB in the league. That's why you would even consider him near the top of the draft. His floor is also worst QB in the league. That's why he won't go #1.

Hawknight

Reaction score

It does make sense in a way. I know we have holes to fill but looking at the financial aspect of it, it's one less roster spot to pay for by trading a pick and second your getting the future QB of the franchise for the foreseeable future. I'm no expert but I can see this making sense in the short term of things. I know money is getting tighter with this years salary cap with the money spent so far.

HawksNation

Reaction score
If he pans out as the next Mahomes, I'm all for it and it's totally worth it.

If the kid is a bust, fire Schneider and this whole clown front office for wasting one of the biggest golden opportunities in franchise history.
If you fire JS, who are you gunna hire?
Doubt you would find someone comparable.