KJR reports rumor of trade proposal

James in PA

Reaction score
Plot twist: they plan to trade Geno Smith instead of additional draft picks to move up....
Bigger plot twist: they are lying in the weeds ready to pounce on Lamar while his value decreases with each passing day.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't buy it.

Him spending time with the agent makes it fairly evident there's interest. AR fits the profile for the type of guy they like.

I think the three guys they're targeting are AR, Anderson & Wilson. Assuming they stay at 5. I don't believe Carter will be in their plans.

They spent time and took selfies with all the top 10 QB's. Doesn't mean anything other than they want to make sure other teams think they might draft a QB.

Not that John and Pete haven't surprised us before, but I'd be absolutely shocked if we take Richardson at 5, or any of the QB's.

If Pete and John fancy this roster right now as ready to compete beyond being a fringe playoff team, spending the highest draft pick they've ever had on a developmental QB that won't even be ready for a year or longer?

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

CactusJack

Reaction score
To counter, if Pete's system is QB friendly. Why do they need to pick at QB at #5? I mean Geno and Russ were 2nd and 3rd round picks respectively.
Because they see Josh Allen & Lamar Jackson traits in Richardson.

People thought it was ridiculous that John went to Josh Allen's Pro day. When you already had a QB in Wilson.

I think it's pretty clear now why they did.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's now full on silly season where rumours about trades and flat out lies about players and team draft interests have to be viewed with caution and scepticism.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Not that John and Pete haven't surprised us before, but I'd be absolutely shocked if we take Richardson at 5, or any of the QB's.

If this is the case, you're ignoring a lot of information. Particularly the details of recent contracts to Geno and Lock; and how John's contract extends beyond Pete's and a probable sale of the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If this is the case, you're ignoring a lot of information. Particularly the details of recent contracts to Geno and Lock; and how John's contract extends beyond Pete's and a probable sale of the team.

How does this all = we need to take Richardson at 5?

Ozzy

Reaction score
How does this all = we need to take Richardson at 5?
It may not be Richardson but the contract does lend itself to drafting a guy and moving on from Geno at any point relatively cheaply. They may not as well but it’s a possibility

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
One thing is certain, Seattle, is making teams really consider trading up AND teams have no idea what Seattle will do.

I love it.

It’s so much fun knowing you don’t know for sure.

Things are very interesting!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It may not be Richardson but the contract does lend itself to drafting a guy and moving on from Geno at any point relatively cheaply. They may not as well but it’s a possibility

I still don't understand how any of this matters during a sale of a team.

The Commanders are going to sell for 5 billion+, that means Jody could sell for even more.

A rookie QB contract has absolutely NO bearing on any of this. If you're looking at things that will destabilize and devalue the organization for a sale? Pete gone. John gone. Volatility of internal processes and the people who run the team.

Those things matter. Who's playing QB or who got drafted a year before a sale of a 5-6B NFL franchise? Nope. Not important at all.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Believe nothing you hear from the sports media this time of year it’s all misinformation where are the FB fact checkers when we need them? Team representatives will go to the players Pro Days to get intel whether they want to draft the player or have information on the player when they play against him in the future

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
Make the other team pay for it. If that's against the rules, tell the NFL to change their stupid, confusing cap rules.

Problem solved.
It doesn't work like that. The Hawks are on the hook for the guaranteed money. If they trade or release him this offseason, he will count $27.3 million in full against their cap.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It doesn't work like that. The Hawks are on the hook for the guaranteed money. If they trade or release him this offseason, he will count $27.3 million in full against their cap.

Maybe they could pay a high price lawyer to figure out a loophole so they don't have to pay it. You just never know.

CactusJack

Reaction score
They spent time and took selfies with all the top 10 QB's. Doesn't mean anything other than they want to make sure other teams think they might draft a QB.

If Pete and John fancy this roster right now as ready to compete beyond being a fringe playoff team, spending the highest draft pick they've ever had on a developmental QB that won't even be ready for a year or longer?

Doesn't make a lot of sense.
It makes a ton of sense.

1. Geno is a bridge QB.

2. If you think that you've found your next franchise QB, then you pull the trigger.

The Chiefs had Alex Smith & we're a playoff team with him. Yet they still identified their guy in Mahomes & pulled the trigger.

3. If you hit, then you're set & a contender for the foreseeable future (KC, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc.).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It makes a ton of sense.

1. Geno is a bridge QB.

2. If you think that you've found your next franchise QB, then you pull the trigger.

The Chiefs had Alex Smith & we're a playoff team with him. Yet they still identified their guy in Mahomes & pulled the trigger.

3. If you hit, then you're set & a contender for the foreseeable future (KC, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc.).

I don't think Pete and John view Geno as a bridge QB.

I think they view Geno as a QB that can play the position at a high enough level for the next 2-3 years while they're rebuilding the defense and run game/O-line into where it needs to be to compete for Superbowls.

Therefore using this level of draft capital that doesn't directly address the defensive needs (and there are many) doesn't make sense to me.

I think fans love Richardson, and the idea of drafting him far more than our coach and GM do.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This is actually the only scenario I see where they draft a QB @ 5 or, in the scenario of moving up, 3.

Trading Geno now would only make our current cap situation worse. Geno is currently set to be a $10.1 million cap hit. If we trade him before or during the draft, that cap hit jumps to $26.1 million. I doubt they structured his deal like that so they could trade him away.

No matter what we do in the draft, I fully expect to see Geno Smith as a Seahawk for the 2023 season.

hoxrox

Reaction score
If they draft a QB, the message from Jody is that John and Pete have some rope to work with.

If they draft defense, there is greater urgency to win within the next 1-2 years.

The interest in taking a QB early is legit. I don't think it's an elaborate smokescreen. But if the QB they love is not available at 5, I could see them trading down as well.

Latest posts