Kevin Williams on the Harvin trade

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Interviewed Kevin Williams, Ramon Foster and Donte Whitner today. Williams on Harvin: "initially you're like, what in the world are they doing?"

Whitner wouldn't bite on a few questions about Seattle. Played it very straight. Nothing controversial.

Put a few snippets up here:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/interview-time

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would say Whitner is taking exception to Seattle saying they are the best secondary in the league. I like it when he defines best secondary as not being afraid to tackle. What?

hawker84

Reaction score
Caught that as well.. He definitely has a problem with Seattle being considered the best secondary.. But what else is he going to say, he knows they are nowhere near seattle coverage wise... love it...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawker84":3lmz6vou said:
Caught that as well.. He definitely has a problem with Seattle being considered the best secondary.. But what else is he going to say, he knows they are nowhere near seattle coverage wise... love it...
I think Tampa Bay's secondary is probably nearest to us depending on how healthy Revis is. San Francisco has an issue there just like at WR.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1av55r27 said:
I would say Whitner is taking exception to Seattle saying they are the best secondary in the league. I like it when he defines best secondary as not being afraid to tackle. What?

He asked Vernon Davis if the Seahawk secondary was afraid to tackle. I think the incoherent babble he heard from Davis was misinterpreted. Davis was actually mumbling that the Seahawks DO have the best secondary and that HE was afraid to return to the game and get tackled again... simple mistake on Whitner's part.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Hawks secondary is second to none, period. They only improved with the addition of Winfield. Browner and Sherm? Yikes. Kamtrack and ET?

Nobody has that combo with Winfield taking up the slot. Wow.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Whitner is the biggest liability in that secondary. People on this forum make it seam like the 49ers cornerbacks are in shambles. How can a top 3 Defense have a terrible secondary??? It doesn't make sense. Terrell Brown and Chris Culliver were regarded as one of the best CBs in the league last year. Sure, Rogers struggled in the nickel role, but it's not like he is a below average player.

Seahawks have the best secondary in the league. Bar none. But it's not like the 49ers are in the bottom half of the league. And since the 49ers have the best front 7, it would be unwise to consider the 49ers a weak defense. They are still top 5.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying your defense sucks but the secondary is definitely a weakness. There is no arguing that based on how they did after Justin was injured.

I will say I believe that entire front seven hinges on Justin Smith being healthy and productive. If he misses time or becomes less effective the rest of that group suddenly looks a lot more normal. Even Willis and Bowman and definitely Aldon.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":326vktob said:
Whitner is the biggest liability in that secondary. People on this forum make it seam like the 49ers cornerbacks are in shambles. How can a top 3 Defense have a terrible secondary??? It doesn't make sense. Terrell Brown and Chris Culliver were regarded as one of the best CBs in the league last year. Sure, Rogers struggled in the nickel role, but it's not like he is a below average player.

Seahawks have the best secondary in the league. Bar none. But it's not like the 49ers are in the bottom half of the league. And since the 49ers have the best front 7, it would be unwise to consider the 49ers a weak defense. They are still top 5.
Your top 5 defense was trending to be a lot worse looking at their last 6 games. Points against for SF was 171 for the last 6 games, that's a 28+ average for the opponent. Now, yes take a few of the total points off for special teams scores but that's still a bad trend. Especially when your best player is getting long in the tooth, and coming off a major injury. Now lets hear the injury, and tired excuse in 3...2.....1....

heyu123

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2t7y6bu5 said:
hawker84":2t7y6bu5 said:
I think Tampa Bay's secondary is probably nearest to us depending on how healthy Revis is. San Francisco has an issue there just like at WR.

They have no quality corner depth. Its revis and a bunch of question marks. They aren't even top 5 yet. Goldson is a splashy signing and good player, but not an elite safety by any means.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
There's thread in the web zone asking if Goldson is the best FS in the league and the responses disagree with you for the most part. Of course he was still a Niner when the thread was born . Funny how he has suddenly become a liability now that he is being replaced by a rookie. Even funnier is how many Niner fans are saying Reid is an upgrade.

heyu123

Reaction score
Goldson is a good safety, he's just not elite. Both he and Whitner formed one of the worst coverage duos in the league, though Goldson is not as bad as Whitner in coverage. He does have his strengths though, it's just I'd rather my FS be able to cover better. Unfortunately Reid doesn't really fit that profile either.

I would have liked him back, but not nearly at the money he got from TB.

That is beside the point though. There are a number of secondaries I'd rate above the Bucs at this point. Taking Seattle as a given, Denver is better and so is Kansas City if Berry is healthy.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
San Fran had the 6th best pass defense per FO. Seattle was third. This discussion is turning into a debate of the definition of "weakness". One has to look at the bigger picture here: SF's front 7 is so good it helps the secondary look stronger. They hold the run game so that they force the passing game. They have a good pass rush. Their LB corps covers well. All those things help carry a "weaker" secondary unit that by no means is crap, but certainly the weakest link on their D.

Here's why Seattle was able to decimate said D: For two years straight our run game was able to trump SF's run D. This put the pressure on the secondary. Wilson is too mobile for SF's pass rush, buying time for our receivers to exploit SF's weakest link. In short, it's a matchup problem where the strengths of SF's front 7 are answered by the strengths of our offense, forcing the weakest part of the Niner defense to have to carry the load. After the game, every Niner player was complaining about how hard it was to catch Wilson. Their average secondary couldn't hold up when put on the spot like that.

The 42 points we put up on their vaunted D was the proof in the pudding.

By comparison, our defensive line hardly ever put pressure on opposing QB's. Our run defense was suspect after Bryant's foot injury. Yet our elite secondary still managed to shut down opposing offenses well enough to give us the top rated D per FO and the lowest scoring D in the league.

And now we've improved said D in the very places where it was weakest and most easily exploited. SF, meanwhile, has gotten weaker at their weakest point.

Comeinpeace

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":229wlria said:
San Fran had the 6th best pass defense per FO. Seattle was third. This discussion is turning into a debate of the definition of "weakness". One has to look at the bigger picture here: SF's front 7 is so good it helps the secondary look stronger. They hold the run game so that they force the passing game. They have a good pass rush. Their LB corps covers well. All those things help carry a "weaker" secondary unit that by no means is crap, but certainly the weakest link on their D.

Here's why Seattle was able to decimate said D: For two years straight our run game was able to trump SF's run D. This put the pressure on the secondary. Wilson is too mobile for SF's pass rush, buying time for our receivers to exploit SF's weakest link. In short, it's a matchup problem where the strengths of SF's front 7 are answered by the strengths of our offense, forcing the weakest part of the Niner defense to have to carry the load. After the game, every Niner player was complaining about how hard it was to catch Wilson. Their average secondary couldn't hold up when put on the spot like that.

By comparison, our defensive line hardly ever put pressure on opposing QB's. Our run defense was suspect after Bryant's foot injury. Yet our elite secondary still managed to shut down opposing offenses well enough to give us the top rated D per FO and the lowest scoring D in the league.

And now we've improved said D in the very places where it was weakest and most easily exploited. SF, meanwhile, has gotten weaker at their weakest point.

Excellent writeup Salish. I couldn't agree more, but I don't think your passrush has gotten better... yet. Clemons is on a different level than any of your other pass rushers, at least against the Niners. Bennett and Avril are downgrades imo and Irvin is going to be gone a few weeks after his suspension. When Clemons comes back and is playing at full strength and Irvin wraps up his suspension, then it will be much more scarier. That's when you guys will be able to rotate out and keep 'em fresh without losing having to downgrade to do so.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
There is definitely questions to be answered but part of Clemons should be attributed to the system. This is his 3rd team IIRC and he was never able to get more than spot duty until he got here. In comparison Avril's resume is much better than what Clemons was when he came here. In fact we were able to get Clemons on a throw in deal. We were Trading Daryl Tapp to Philly for a 4th rounder and somehow got Philly to throw Clemons in on the deal. Not bad really.

You may end up being correct but I wouldn't be the least surprised if Avril picks up right where Clemons left off. Imagine what the playoffs may look like if we add Clemons and Irvin to that.

Pete and John have done an amazing job of repairing weakness's. Each year the team has improved significantly. I know the record of 7-9 two years ago makes it look like the team was stagnant but the truth is we statistically improved everywhere on the field but were held back by a drop in QB production. The team outside the QB position has consistently grown year over year and now the QB position is resolved too. I won't be the least bit surprised if our D-line suddenly becomes an area of strength.

Comeinpeace

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't followed Avril very much, all I know is that the 49ers oline whooped his *** when we played him when he was at detroit. Like 1v1 pancakes from our tackles. Clemons though, has always beasted against us, and I agree with ya Rich that your Dline will no longer be a weakness, but be an asset this year. If you guys get a better pass rush than last year, then your pass defense will be even better (if possible).

rideaducati

Reaction score
Comeinpeace":bmvt7hm5 said:
SalishHawkFan":bmvt7hm5 said:

Excellent writeup Salish. I couldn't agree more, but I don't think your passrush has gotten better... yet. Clemons is on a different level than any of your other pass rushers, at least against the Niners. Bennett and Avril are downgrades imo and Irvin is going to be gone a few weeks after his suspension. When Clemons comes back and is playing at full strength and Irvin wraps up his suspension, then it will be much more scarier. That's when you guys will be able to rotate out and keep 'em fresh without losing having to downgrade to do so.

Um... I agree too, but you're wrong.

Comeinpeace

Reaction score
rideaducati":12m6dhyy said:
Um... I agree too, but you're wrong.

Wow, amazing insight and a real contribution to the conversation. After you drop knowledge like that, there is no reason for anyone else to comment :th2thumbs: