Jamal, Quandre & Dissly Released!!!

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but isn't it true that the dead cap hit would still apply even if we trade or cut Lockett? (I don't know the answer, but I thought someone had said this.) If we have to take a dead cap hit of $20 million, it would make no sense to get rid of him.

Yeah, his dead cap hit is pretty huge.

The issue with Tyler's contract is, cutting him post June 1st (or designating him a post-June 1st cut) makes the dead cap cut more manageable this year but makes no sense if you are trying to 'rebuild' because it heaps $9.5 mill of that cap hit onto 2025.

If the idea is to compete, making him a pre June 1st cut casualty makes no sense because you just spent $20 mill to drop a good player when you could be paying $27 mill to have a good player.

I think the more realistic move is to play him this year, cut him next year.

warden

Reaction score
Nothing.

I just remember his name in a long line of Seattle safeties.

You know who was damn fun to watch hit safety that’s not Kam Chancellor or Earl Thomas?

Darryl Williams from Miami (FL)

He was the “Boom” before the Legion of Boom!
Williams had some serious boom.

QWERTY

Reaction score
What difference does it make? If it’s now or later. Bottom line though the more you dead cap eat now, the quicker you become fatter in space. Also, plenty of teams remove their aging or oft-injured players that aren’t worth their weight in gold. Isn’t it just the nature of the NFL. If they want to be competitive now, they’ll figure out a way. It doesn’t really change things especially with players that were heavily expected to be cut.

But I’ll say it does make sense long-term to have another draft with premium draft position (top 10) and then a lot more functional cap space to work with in the future. Do you really want another shot in the dark roster of just being around good enough or a quality one that can be sustainably competitive long-term?

I have no problems with it.

I'm just saying what I think is happening.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I love it. Take out the trash. All energy, All resources, All focus on fixing the garbage, pathetic, weak defense.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
diggs? Lockett?? Full retard???

Wtf? Why the perpetual rebuild? We HAVE the talent to win. Right? That was the whole gripe with carroll. Right? Fukn win or get tf on!

Some peoples kids..

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Kind of bummed about Quandre.

He was always a pretty middling tackler, and exposing him to an entirely ridiculous amount of tackle responsibility was bound to look bad. It wasn't an acceptable situation for that type of safety to be placed into and expect success.

He still did well in coverage. He allowed a very respectable amount of yardage per snap in coverage. 6 seasons of 3+ picks in a row until 2023. A legitimately amazing acquisition for what we paid, and a hell of a fun personality.

I'm glad we paid him. He balled for us and he deserved it, and I think he'd still be well-regarded had the rest of the defense done their job in front of the defensive backfield. Sure, yeah, the dead money hurts - but I'm glad Quandre got a pay day, because that guy is one of the most underrated players of the last decade. I hope he goes somewhere and helps a team out... so long as it isn't an NFCW team. Unfortunately... I could see him balling out for the 49ers as they continue running a cover-3 Carroll-tree defense.

Jamal was a bigger disappointment, mostly due to health but partly due to conduct near the end. I think he was a lot better when healthy than given credit for, but the narrative about him was set a long time ago here and he was never overcoming that no matter how good his play got, and it never got to a "great" level.

Don't get me wrong, I do think all of these moves are in the best interest of the team going forward. But I'll miss Quandre. He deserves his flowers on his way out. He was fun and he produced like a sumbitch, and all for a fifth round pick.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think someone like KC would love to have Lockett and would pay him good money
On the other hand, I think they might be trying to save money to devote to the defense, much like we did early on with the Cable offensive lines. Let Mahomes cover up skill deficiencies, spend the offensive money on his protection, spend resources on keeping the defense awesome, and keep a cycle of draftees and value free agents at the skill positions while relying on Kelce for the star production.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
On the other hand, I think they might be trying to save money to devote to the defense, much like we did early on with the Cable offensive lines. Let Mahomes cover up skill deficiencies, spend the offensive money on his protection, spend resources on keeping the defense awesome, and keep a cycle of draftees and value free agents at the skill positions while relying on Kelce for the star production.
Bingo.

cheese22

Reaction score
I hope BigMac reinstates the 'always compete' mantra, and not just lip service.

Lockett could go. I'll take some heat for it, but I don't like the attitude, and haven't for 2 seasons now.
The always compete mantra was a tired schtik that hasn't been true for a few years.
Lockett's attitude? Just the opposite. I'd keep him around because of his attitude. He is max effort on the field. Never complains. Never quits. Never hurts the team with penalties. He may have lost a step, but he's still productive... not $27m proctive, I'll agree.
I would be way more inclined to trade DK while his value is still high. Talk about a shitty attitude?! He's uber talented, but he also has issues that he's shown no improvement on. With the haul we could get for trading him, that's several chances to plug big holes.
I personally can't stand watching DK get suckered into a dumbass penalty and then pout on the bench. After this many years, how has he not grown up at all?!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
diggs? Lockett?? Full retard???

Wtf? Why the perpetual rebuild? We HAVE the talent to win. Right? That was the whole gripe with carroll. Right? Fukn win or get tf on!

Some peoples kids..

They really don't have the talent (due mainly because of the trenches). The gripe with Carroll is he could never fix the problem due to poor talent evaluation or schemes that played to weaknesses. The rebuild is a must.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Love Tyler and everything he's been and meant to the 'Hawks during his time here. At 17M this season, it's borderline, but I say keep him. He always seems to make the clutch catch. Sure, he protects his body rather than sacrificing his body for an extra yard or two AFTER the first down has been reached. Seeing his small frame next to a linebacker frame, it's not hard to see why. Recall when he got the broken leg, I think it was against the Rams. We missed Tyler badly during that time.

themunn

Reaction score
VERY good point ^

Hamlin, what in the actual F was he thinking? Well, clearly, he wasn't. Way to hurt your team right before the biggest game of the year, Ken.

Hamlin's fight happened in October - if that's any consolation! I think he only played 4 or 5 games that year and was released after. Which means we had a full 3 months to find a replacement.