Jalen Carter

Chapow

Reaction score
... the 9 pound weight gain wasn't a deal breaker. The legal troubles and bonheaded decision making from a 21 year old wasn't a deal breaker either.

All that said. Doing nothing but measuring at the combine, then coming in to your Pro Day and listlessly going through positional drills and not even making it through them due to cramps? Bruh. That's all poor conditioning, nutrition, hydration, and work ethic.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at with him too.

Pro Days are designed and orchestrated to make these guys look as good as possible. Carter looked like sh!t.

Even if the reason he wasn't ready for one of the most important days of his life (despite having weeks/months to prepare) is depression or self-sabotage or whatever, there's absolutely no way in hell I'm using a top 5 pick on this guy. I don't think I'd even take him at 20. We need guys that can play and contribute. Carter just screams train wreck at this point.

rjdriver

Reaction score
As a lifelong Seahawks fan there are two things for certain I know about Carter..

1. If he somehow falls precipitously, and the Niners somehow make a move to draft him..
He will be a first ballot hall of famer and DPOY for a decade straight.

2. If we take him at five, he will make weekly appearances on TMZ, be out of the league in two years, and somehow manage to kill Taima.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Since he didn't do anything at the combine, he should have been busting his ass training for his pro day. Instead, he showed up looking sloppy, not testing, and looking bad in drills. The dude is just lazy. Stop making excuses.

I'm not making excuses. I'm not sitting around watching his "pro day" because I'm working. If he's failing miserably at it, that's obviously a red flag. 9 lbs fluctuation on a 315lb dude is not in itself a red flag.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Now that my interest has been piqued, I looked a bit more into this dude. His problem isn't depression. It's self-sabotage. He's a perfect example of a guy who's subconcious is doing everything it can to keep him from succeeding. It's a maladaptive response to childhood trauma/ issues.

For his sake, I hope he finds the right person to help him come to see that it's OK to be succeaful. Pete would be an amazing mentor to the guy. For his sake, I would love to see him spend 4 to 8 years with Pete.

There is just no way you can waste a 5 pick on a guy who's actively in self-sabotage mode. Sucks he couldn't get this issue dealt with before now, but that's not our problem.

Take him in the 3rd? Sure. Not in the first 2 rounds.

This was an unexpected and informative take. That's why my downward scrolling usually slows to stops when I see your avatar.

I understand you wouldn't want to risk pick 5. But the potential ROI has to have him going somewhere in the late first or early second at the latest

I'd take him in a NY minute at 37, and probably at 20 as well. I do understand the concerns for those who wouldn't touch him anywhere though.

Jac

Reaction score
This was an unexpected and informative take. That's why my downward scrolling usually slows to stops when I see your avatar.

I understand you wouldn't want to risk pick 5. But the potential ROI has to have him going somewhere in the late first or early second at the latest

I'd take him in a NY minute at 37, and probably at 20 as well. I do understand the concerns for those who wouldn't touch him anywhere though.
This is exactly the kind of player that will slide in the first, there will be a lot of shots of him in the green room (if he's invited/shows up), and some team will trade back into the late first for him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Oh brother, 9 pounds and now he's "fat" :rolleyes:
It's not that he put on 9 pounds. It's the amount of time he put it on, in 2 weeks, and the timing of it, when he should have been a workout warrior trying to maximize his pro day, especially after all the stuff about his legal issues that may have compromised his draft slotting. A good effort at his pro day might have recouped some of that damage.

This dove tails into the character issues that have dogged this Bulldog for the past few weeks. I smell an air of entitlement and selfishness. I don't even want this guy with our #20 overall. Who ever takes him on is going to inherit a project.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
As a lifelong Seahawks fan there are two things for certain I know about Carter..

1. If he somehow falls precipitously, and the Niners somehow make a move to draft him..
He will be a first ballot hall of famer and DPOY for a decade straight.

2. If we take him at five, he will make weekly appearances on TMZ, be out of the league in two years, and somehow manage to kill Taima.
Lmao! Great post man. 😄

RiverDog

Reaction score
I can lose 5-6 lbs just sitting in a hot tub for 15min, and I weight 215. I’m sure it wasn’t hard to lose 9 lbs for the combine.
5-6 pounds in a hot tub for 15 minutes? I call BS. Perhaps we can get our good doctor to "weigh in" on that claim.

When I was running 6-7 miles a day, it took me an hour of jogging for me to lose 4-5 pounds, and I sweat like a pig. A 9 pound weight gain in 2-3 weeks from one weigh in to the other is hard to explain by any other reason other than an over consumption of calories.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He won't go in the 1st round.

The question is, how bad has he hurt his stock over the last 3 months?
I wouldn't put any money on that hunch. Dropping out of the consensus top 5 all the way out of the first round has to be unprecedented. All it takes is one team.

But I do think he drops out of the top 10.

BASF

Reaction score
It's not that he put on 9 pounds. It's the amount of time he put it on, in 2 weeks, and the timing of it, when he should have been a workout warrior trying to maximize his pro day, especially after all the stuff about his legal issues that may have compromised his draft slotting. A good effort at his pro day might have recouped some of that damage.

This dove tails into the character issues that have dogged this Bulldog for the past few weeks. I smell an air of entitlement and selfishness. I don't even want this guy with our #20 overall. Who ever takes him on is going to inherit a project.
https://www.quora.com/How-much-heav...-the-fight-starts-vs-at-the-official-weigh-in Again, he probably tried to cut weight for the combine. I am guessing he did it wrong. It happens. But, as you can see from this answer from Matt Prieto, fighters can weigh almost fifteen pounds heavier in less than forty-eight hours after weigh ins.

RiverDog

Reaction score
https://www.quora.com/How-much-heav...-the-fight-starts-vs-at-the-official-weigh-in Again, he probably tried to cut weight for the combine. I am guessing he did it wrong. It happens. But, as you can see from this answer from Matt Prieto, fighters can weigh almost fifteen pounds heavier in less than forty-eight hours after weigh ins.
Yeah, maybe. But if he were a fighter that could lose that kind of weight that fast, he wouldn't be breathing like a vacuum cleaner and have to be rested frequently like he was during the CFB playoffs at a time when he should have been in peak condition.

The much more likely explanation is an over consumption of calories combined with a lack of calorie expenditure. It fits with what we saw with our own eyes.

Own The West

Reaction score
Except he didn't run the short shuttle and could barely do positional drills.
Seeing that now, that he quit even the position drills because he was cramping up and winded. The extra weight didn't bother me (see Red Bryant), but the lack of cardio is a big problem. Our top picks for the LAST DECADE all seemed to get injured in camp because they come in out of shape.

I'm officially off the J.Carter bandwagon. Maybe at 20 because of the huge upside, but he looks guaranteed for a red shirt year no matter where he goes.

Rainger

Reaction score
I mean, dude. Come on. It's almost 10 pounds in about as many days. If he's putting on weight like that, he probably isn't training - and this is a pretty important time to be training.

No one wants to see a guy gain this much weight in two weeks during combine/pro day workouts (other than Bryce Young).

This all stacks up with everything we've heard about Carter being immature and a character red flag. Don't act like others are stupid for pointing out the obvious.
Well I weigh myself everyday and I can put on 5 lbs over a weekend just eating pasta etc that sticks in the colon. I can just as easily drop 5 to 6 lbs with a slimming tea and a diuretic in one day.

PS you cant put on 9 lbs in one week just from calorie consumption. You need to eat 3500 calories for each pound OVER your expenditure and an average athlete expends at least 3500 per day almost doing nothing but walking etc.

So he would have to be consuming more than 8000 calories a day. Hard to believe that. But at any given time you have between 5 to 12lbs of waste in your colon.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Maybe he is depressed over the deaths of his friends and being charged and drilled constantly over it is making it harder for him to cope? Depression is a nasty monster. He could just be lazy, but who knows.
The thing is these behaviors have persisted since before all of this stuff happened. We can't just sit here and say that this is an isolated incident. If there was just one issue, I think it wouldn't be a big deal. The problem is, all of this is a recurring theme with Carter throughout his whole collegiate career. Lack of ownership, lack of endurance and motor, taking plays off. There is enough smoke here to say that yeah, there is a fire.