Jalen Carter

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Well I weigh myself everyday and I can put on 5 lbs over a weekend just eating pasta etc that sticks in the colon. I can just as easily drop 5 to 6 lbs with a slimming tea and a diuretic in one day.

PS you cant put on 9 lbs in one week just from calorie consumption. You need to eat 3500 calories for each pound OVER your expenditure and an average athlete expends at least 3500 per day almost doing nothing but walking etc.

So he would have to be consuming more than 8000 calories a day. Hard to believe that. But at any given time you have between 5 to 12lbs of waste in your colon.
That is fine and all, but Carter knew about this pro-day for MONTHS! His endurance/physical shape was one of his biggest question marks and it was his chance to silence his doubters. He came in 9 pounds over his combine weight and he couldn't even finish the drills. It's obvious that he wasn't working out and doing the things he needed to do. This is the biggest job interview of his life and he came in unable to do the basic things required of him. He could have at least put an effort in to cut like UFC fighters or boxers do before a fight -- every other major prospect does something similar --- they change their body comp for the combine/pro-day to maximize performance.

In a vacuum, i don't think it would be a huge deal, but Carter has questions regarding his endurance and effort. This was his chance to answer those questions, but instead he looked even worse. In addition to this, the guy looked gassed and couldn't even finish his drills in an environment that is set up to make him look good (proday).

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Just a thought, but given that we're now debating the contents of Jalen Carter's colon, maybe it's time to put this topic to bed.

Rainger

Reaction score
That is fine and all, but Carter knew about this pro-day for MONTHS! His endurance/physical shape was one of his biggest question marks and it was his chance to silence his doubters. He came in 9 pounds over his combine weight and he couldn't even finish the drills. It's obvious that he wasn't working out and doing the things he needed to do. This is the biggest job interview of his life and he came in unable to do the basic things required of him. He could have at least put an effort in to cut like UFC fighters or boxers do before a fight -- every other major prospect does something similar --- they change their body comp for the combine/pro-day to maximize performance.

In a vacuum, i don't think it would be a huge deal, but Carter has questions regarding his endurance and effort. This was his chance to answer those questions, but instead he looked even worse. In addition to this, the guy looked gassed and couldn't even finish his drills in an environment that is set up to make him look good (proday).
Oh I was not saying this in any defense of him whatsoever. I was only discussing 9 lbs. nothing more. I weigh 235 and can go to 240 in a day or two. Was only talking about the weight people carry and can shed. As for him, I don't think the team should take the risk. Other than Aaron Donald not many DL,s single handed make a D great.

I agree with everything you said. But for those only concentrating on 9 lbs I think that is short sighted. All the things you bring up and the character issues are the red flags.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Oh I was not saying this in any defense of him whatsoever. I was only discussing 9 lbs. nothing more. I weigh 235 and can go to 240 in a day or two. Was only talking about the weight people carry and can shed. As for him, I don't think the team should take the risk. Other than Aaron Donald not many DL,s single handed make a D great.

I agree with everything you said. But for those only concentrating on 9 lbs I think that is short sighted. All the things you bring up and the character issues are the red flags.
Oh absolutely, I've done the same thing. I'm was more piggybacking onto other people that are saying water weight. The issue isn't so much the weight but all of the things around it and the context.

Chapow

Reaction score
Well I weigh myself everyday and I can put on 5 lbs over a weekend just eating pasta etc that sticks in the colon. I can just as easily drop 5 to 6 lbs with a slimming tea and a diuretic in one day.

So are you saying that he's been sitting around and pigging out on pasta instead of working on his stamina, conditioning, and cardio in preparation for his Pro Day?

Just kidding... kind of.

Chapow

Reaction score

I don't think anyone is only concentrating on the 9 lbs. I do think that the 9 lbs in addition to the fact that he performed so poorly is a pretty strong indicator that he probably hasn't been working very hard (or at all) on his conditioning, stamina, cardio, etc. That is a pretty big concern considering how important this day was to him and his draft status.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Well, one thing's for sure: This has been, by far, the most discussed draft ever on .net, and I'm talking before the draft even happens. By the time June rolls around, we'll probably have had a million new posts since February 2023.
And half the posts will hate it and half will love it.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Well, one thing's for sure: This has been, by far, the most discussed draft ever on .net, and I'm talking before the draft even happens. By the time June rolls around, we'll probably have had a million new posts since February 2023.
... but according to the hawkscast guys, .NET is dying :LOL:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I like Richardson too, but what it he's gone by 5? What if the first 4 picks are Stroud, Young, Anderson and Richardson? This is a very real possibility.
If it's me, I'm probably drafting Levis, and then standing by the phones to field any panicky calls from desperate GMs wanting to do a desperation trade. And if that doesn't happen, let Levis sit behind Geno for a year or two or three.

But I'd probably suck as a GM, so...

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think it’s some order of the 4 QBs and Anderson or a trade back. Wilson doesn’t seem like a scheme fit and no one else jumps out to take at 5 if it’s not QB, Carter(without the concerns) or Anderson.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So to the "no" on Carter crowd, who the hell do we take if Anderson goes to Arizona? Levis? Wilson? Trade down for more picks with "potential?" None of those options sit well with me.
Yeah, probably trade down for more picks.

It's better than sticking and picking a player who isn't talented enough to justify it, and it's probably better than taking a natural talent who is doing everything about as wrong as he possibly could at a time when he's supposed to be laser focused. We've been down this road before - difference being this pick is worth over 3 times what the McDowell selection was worth.

No need to pathologically fear trading back. If they do, it'd probably be a small one unless an offer rocked their world.