Is Geno Done?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It’s just so hard to say. I remember a couple of weeks ago everyone was blaming Waldron when Geno had two touchdowns he was late on and missed them. If I had to guess I think I’d say blame is in this order 1 Line 2 Geno 3 play calling but again some games have been mostly play calling or mostly Geno, depending on which game you look at.

All that to say it’s tough to equate
Imagine this:
It is first and goal from 8 yard line. Walker slams into the line with little blocking. Run again on second down. Then the pass rush gets pressure on Geno on third down for incompletion or sack.

That scenario is much more frequent than Geno throws on first or second down with clean pocket but misses the throw.

Agree?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A question for you: The Seahawks ranked 25th in red zone offense. How much of the fault goes to:
1. Geno
2. Offensive line
3. Play calling
I can't put playcalling third, given that we didn't have dick in the run game in the redzone.

Get ready for the patented "gun run for loss of 2 yards" baby.

nwHawk

Reaction score
This team had plenty of issues and shortcomings, just like each game doesn’t solely rest at the feet of the QB. Personally, I could give a rip what the name on the back of the jersey is next year. Just improve and strive for another championship someday.

I have to admit, I gave up on stats, as you can make them support many stances. John63 threw them out all the time with Russ. The .net community feels like pre-trade Russ. Divided, frustrated and seeking a clear direction towards better results. I watch the game for enjoyment, it’s as simple as that.

renofox

Reaction score
A question for you: The Seahawks ranked 25th in red zone offense. How much of the fault goes to:
1. Geno
2. Offensive line
3. Play calling
1. Scheme, .30
2. O Line, .22
3. Geno, .20
4. Play calling, .18
5. RBs, .05
6. WRs, .05

Why didn't we use TEs in the red zone? WTF is up with the shotguns runs over and over with 1st and goal from the 8-9? Almost every run to the A gap with a few Bs mixed in? You tried one sweep all year and even running it with Bobo, of all people, got you a TD? Maybe try it once again? NOPE. Let's always go away from what works and keep using what doesn't until we get it right. Dissly, our $8M/yr TE finally got his first TD in week 18. I think we targeted TEs maybe 5 times all year in the end zone. Parkinson also finally got his 1 TD for the year from Geno - on a play that they "practiced for years before calling it for the 1st time". Our vaunted TE group accounted for a whopping THREE TDs this year. That's a bad scheme.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
1. Scheme, .30
2. O Line, .22
3. Geno, .20
4. Play calling, .18
5. RBs, .05
6. WRs, .05
I think the thing we never consider is just how good or bad our offensive coaches were at actually coaching detail and cohesion.

This all might've been fine if everything didn't look like an improvisational mess, especially along the line. Lack of rhythm, lack of consistency on the ground... it all points to a lack of competent implementation.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Geno is mediocre at best. Borderline backup. A backup should win you 50% of their games. Thats Geno. Sayanora and Guadalajara Geno!! Go average 1.2 Td's a game somewhere else.
What? A backup should win you 50% of their games? That would make a backup the equivalent of an average starter. (Since, by definition, the 'average' starter is going to win 50% of games if every starter played every game).

There is no definitive way to measure this (since who's a 'starter' and who's not changes throughout the year), but the record for QBs who had 8 or less starts this year (which certainly includes a number of guys who were starters) is about 44%. Now, that might not seem like a big difference from 50%, but that's approximately a 7-10 season when played out.

---

On top of that, we've already established that Geno had bottom 10 pass blocking, bottom 10 defense in points allowed, and bottom 5 running game support. I decided to do a quick look at how other teams fared in similar situations over the past 4 years. (I picked 4 because 2020 was the earliest season that I could find ESPN pass block win rate numbers, which I used to rate pass blocking).

In those 4 seasons, only 4 total teams faired that poorly across all 3 categories. Us this year, Falcons and Texans in 2021, and the Jaguars in 2020. The only team to end with a winning record out of that group was the Seahawks. The average record for these teams is 5-12! And you think Geno should have delivered 10+? Seriously?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno is mediocre at best. Borderline backup. A backup should win you 50% of their games. Thats Geno. Sayanora and Guadalajara Geno!! Go average 1.2 Td's a game somewhere else.
But how? Even that paltry touchdown number, which is kind of noisy because it is affected by both overall team performance and supporting cast, is 20th in the league (TD%). This stat that everyone keeps harping on as borderline backup doesn't even check out as a borderline backup statistic. Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, and Trevor Lawrence are 19th, 21st, and 22nd in that same TD% statistic this year.

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we will try to trade Geno.
We're getting a new HC with a new philosophy, which means we have to increase the number of draft picks.
I think they will draft a QB and extend with Lock.

WarHawks

Reaction score
We were at our best, and we won our only sb, when Russ was a young, unpredictable, mobile qb who could rip off a 20 yd run or throw a bomb on a scramble play at any moment, augmented by an effective run game with Lynch. The more we passed as years went on, the less we won. Geno is not that guy. We need to go back to what worked, and stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole with a predictable pocket passer.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
We were at our best, and we won our only sb, when Russ was a young, unpredictable, mobile qb who could rip off a 20 yd run or throw a bomb on a scramble play at any moment, augmented by an effective run game with Lynch. The more we passed as years went on, the less we won. Geno is not that guy. We need to go back to what worked, and stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole with a predictable pocket passer.

Yes. It was almost certainly youth, unpredictability, and mobility that made not-at-all pocket passers like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady successful. The threat of ripping off a 20-yard run at any moment is absolutely what put Manning in the Hall of Fame, and it was youth and the ability to throw a bomb or improvise a scramble play that will soon put Brady there.

There is just no way for an NFL team to win with a pocket passer.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Yes. It was almost certainly youth, unpredictability, and mobility that made not-at-all pocket passers like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady successful. The threat of ripping off a 20-yard run at any moment is absolutely what put Manning in the Hall of Fame, and it was youth and the ability to throw a bomb or improvise a scramble play that will soon put Brady there.

There is just no way for an NFL team to win with a pocket passer.
Remember when Brady burnt the opposing team with 5 80+ TD yard runs in that one game? Yeah the age of the Pocket passer is over forever. No pocket passer will ever have any success again anywhere ever!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The problem with a qb who relies on their legs is longevity. It doesn't last forever and these type of guys also take a lot of punishment. When they lose their legs like Russ has the drop off is significant. Not all can transition to a qb that has to find their reads quickly and stay in the pocket. There are also not a ton of guy left like a Peyton Manning who can't do anything out of the pocket and don't have at least some mobility.

N3putts@

Reaction score
It's not hard to check. In four of the last five seasons Cousins has finished with a passer rating no lower than 103. In 8 games this season, he had 18 TDs and 5 ints, for 2331 yards and a 69.5% completion percentage. If that's not elite level play what is?

I know y'all seem to like to think you know the game, but damn, check the stats on some of these guys before talking trash about them...

Seems like it's YOU that doesn't watch the games, downplaying guys that are atop the league statistically...
The same KC who started the year 4-4 because they let Dalvin Cook go and he had no running game??

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
1. Scheme, .30
2. O Line, .22
3. Geno, .20
4. Play calling, .18
5. RBs, .05
6. WRs, .05

Why didn't we use TEs in the red zone? WTF is up with the shotguns runs over and over with 1st and goal from the 8-9? Almost every run to the A gap with a few Bs mixed in? You tried one sweep all year and even running it with Bobo, of all people, got you a TD? Maybe try it once again? NOPE. Let's always go away from what works and keep using what doesn't until we get it right. Dissly, our $8M/yr TE finally got his first TD in week 18. I think we targeted TEs maybe 5 times all year in the end zone. Parkinson also finally got his 1 TD for the year from Geno - on a play that they "practiced for years before calling it for the 1st time". Our vaunted TE group accounted for a whopping THREE TDs this year. That's a bad scheme.
That is exactly what I am talking about. There is a 90% probability the Seahawks run that play on first and goal from 8 yard line. It’s like there’s a solemn obligation to run that play before trying anything else.

You’d think we have 3 pile-driving studs in the middle of the offensive line when, in fact, they have been a weakness.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Remember when Brady burnt the opposing team with 5 80+ TD yard runs in that one game? Yeah the age of the Pocket passer is over forever. No pocket passer will ever have any success again anywhere ever!
If you want a QB who can run 4.4 in the 40 and 1,000 yards rushing, draft Justin Fields. Just make sure he can also operate in the pocket.

— a Bears fan

GemCity

Reaction score
As we’re expected to request interviews from Dan Quinn and Mike Macdonald, I’m guessing Geno’s job is safe.

If Ben Johnson’s name was thrown in there, I’d say no. But Washington has the #2 pick. As an offense minded guy, it’s a good scenario/start for Johnson.

Most fans want a dynamic kind of guy playing the most important position on the field. Hell, I do too.

But, if you or I were a coach/GM, we wouldn’t be thinking Geno, nor the offense for that matter, would be the priority.

Requesting interviews from two DCs…sort of verifies that line of thinking.

I’m not sure what the right answer is. I’m a little confused as to why we’d go after DQ and not keep Pete but..,

BASF

Reaction score
Defense is by far the main problem with this team and has been for years. Geno being removed is only the priority of the QB gurus sitting on their butts posting on the internet. Five straight seasons of being bottom ten in yards allowed should be the glaring thing that every fan wants fixed.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
These threads are so exhausting although its like crack and I cannot stop myself from reading them.

Draft a friggan QB because it’s time and we need to groom another one. Geno is NOT a franchise QB and that is OK.

But remember, Pete gave Geno this chance. A change of leadership changes everything and I think Geno knows the writing is on the wall. I cannot see JS telling the new coach who to play at QB.

Geno surprised me the past two years. I think he surprised most of us, and the rest of the NFL. But the dude is no spring chicken and we need to start thinking about the QBOTF. It‘s well past time.

BASF

Reaction score
No one is saying that we should not draft our QBOTF. All any of us who aren't pushing the replace Geno agenda have been saying is he is not nearly as bad as the QB gurus that spam this forum for a replacement say he is.

Latest posts